• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leucine: Your Magic Key To Bigger Muscles!

Fadi

OK, I know why you’re here; you want bigger muscles right? Of course you do; otherwise you would’ve joined the golf forum instead.

We have certainly come a long way since those egg white protein powders and desiccated liver tablets, haven’t we? I mean look at it. These days it’s not about casein or whey; or WPC vs. WPI. No; it’s getting more and more specific now. It has gotten down to the main building blocks of protein itself; the amino acids. Now if that wasn’t good enough, we’ve gone few steps further still by having supplemental EAA and BCAA.

Mmmm, you want to go further still… Leucine!

So what makes this powerhouse so special and different from all its mates? Before we get to that, let me first tell you that Leucine shares something unique with two other amino acids, namely isoleucine and valine. These three aminos combined are known as branched-chain amino acids, or (BCAAs). These three musketeers’ uniqueness is found in their perfect capability for acting as signaling molecules to control muscle growth. Whilst the liver can degrade other amino acids, it lacks the enzyme responsible for initiating their breakdown. What does that mean for you and me? It means this powerful team of three can enter the peripheral circulation, where skeletal muscle tissue is relatively unscathed.

So how does Leucine rock differently from its two other mates? Well, it can single handedly stimulate protein synthesis (make muscles). That’s not all; it can also regulate my favourite hormone of all, the most anabolics of anabolics: insulin. By doing so, it controls protein breakdown rates.

If you include Leucine with the whey protein and the high GI carbs as in the way I’ve described in my 2200 calorie “diet”, you’ll find that it will significantly increase the plasma levels of insulin. Since Leucine has anticatabolic effects, it helps in decreasing insulin’s degradation/breakdown and clearance.

Now you all know by now that I’m all fro an insulin spike around workout times; this powerhouse helps me keep insulin where I want it once the high GI carbs have done there job in spiking it. Sure, we don’t want circulating high levels of insulin all day long unless we want to enter a sumo wrestling contest. But immediately after your gym battle, your muscles are super sensitive to insulin’s mighty anabolic effects. Driving all the nutrient dense blood into muscle kingdom where you really want it.

Fadi.

Great read, as always.

Few questions If I may:

1. Would there by other times that you'd recommend the use of Leucine outside PWO sucn as upon waking up/during fasted cardio and what would be your recommended dosage?

2. I might be jumping the gun here but do you have an opinion on hyperaminoacidemia or amino-acid pulsing using Leucine or BCAA?

Thanks chief.

Last edited:
Thanks Fadi! :)

As per Mattias' question - would the BCAA supp be sufficient?
It sounds like it may be better to split out the BCAAs, so that Leucine for instance is only taken around workout time - compared to taking the BCAA supp throughout the day.

Any recommendations on dosage? I know that my WPI contains 11.8g/100g - so looking at around 4g per 30g scoop. Although as per your 2200 (and other) calorie diets, the WPI intake is usually around the 10g mark at Pre/Post WO time.

Cheers.

Do you need extra leucine when already using BCAA? When is the best time to take leucine?
/Mattias

Mattias, your BCAA is sold in the classic ratio of 2:1:1 of Leucine/Isoleucine/Valine. I on the other hand, (and I'm not alone) like to up that ratio from being 2:1 to 4:1. Please do not take my word for it. Check the internet and supplement companies and see for yourself what is happening right now. People are realising how important this dynamite is in initiating the process of muscle synthesis (isn't that why we're here?!), even when no BCAA are taken with it. Just carbs, protein, and luecine. So for me. I'd add to your BCAA mix and bring the ratio up to 4:1:1.

Please note that my main concern is around the workout times. At other times, you can leave it (BCAAs) as is. Around training time, I want to have a marriage between leucine and insulin! Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise -- Norton and Layman 136 (2): 533S -- Journal of Nutrition

Here's a link for anyone wanting to know why I like a ratio of 4:1 of carb to protein around the workout time, (plus 1-2g of leucine & 1g of glutamine). Principles and practice of ... - Google Books

I've got a feeling I left something out Mattias, but I'm falling asleep right now; so I'll add it by editing tonight...

Fadi.

Last edited:
Mattias, your BCAA is sold in the classic ratio of 2:1:1 of Leucine/Isoleucine/Valine. I on the other hand, (and I'm not alone) like to up that ratio from being 2:1 to 4:1. Please do not take my word for it. Check the internet and supplement companies and see for yourself what is happening right now. People are realising how important this dynamite is in initiating the process of muscle synthesis (isn't that why we're here?!), even when no BCAA are taken with it. Just carbs, protein, and luecine. So for me. I'd add to your BCAA mix and bring the ratio up to 4:1:1.

Please note that my main concern is around the workout times. At other times, you can leave it (BCAAs) as is. Around training time, I want to have a marriage between leucine and insulin! Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise -- Norton and Layman 136 (2): 533S -- Journal of Nutrition

Here's a link for anyone wanting to know why I like a ratio of 4:1 of carb to protein around the workout time, (plus 1-2g of leucine & 1g of glutamine). Principles and practice of ... - Google Books

I've got a feeling I left something out Mattias, but I'm falling asleep right now; so I'll add it by editing tonight...

Fadi.

Thanks mate for interesting reading.

Yes it is a 2:1:1 ratio but i can get leucine really cheap here so i will up it to 4:1:1

/Mattias

thanks Fadi i got a tub of Leaucine off a friend who was using it its full and i havent got into it yet cos i dont have protein to mix with, so whens the best time to take it?

i just need something to take it with cos it tastes bad

Great read, as always.

Few questions If I may:

1. Would there by other times that you'd recommend the use of Leucine outside PWO sucn as upon waking up/during fasted cardio and what would be your recommended dosage?

2. I might be jumping the gun here but do you have an opinion on hyperaminoacidemia or amino-acid pulsing using Leucine or BCAA?

Thanks chief.

Jason,

Upon waking would be ideal because the amino acid blood pool is on empty at this stage, which causes the pulsing to achieve hyperaminoacidemia more effectively. My choice would be to go down the path of the insulin pump created by a full spectrum of amino acids via WPI, with the added boost of 3g of Leucine which will serve to raise the insulin even higher still and help it in shuttling the aminos into the muscles.

You may want to go down the path of EAA + Leucine. My taste buds won’t allow me and you don’t get bang for your buck with either BCAA or EAA when compared with WPI. Around workout times is a different story.

Jason, we have a catch 22 here. On the one hand, we have a fast acting protein and Leucine, and an anabolic environment that has been created through training or fasting, which is very short term. Meaning these fast protein (WPI)/Leucine can not sustain an anabolic environment for long periods and must be either used exclusively pre/during/post workout and every 1 hour or so; or to alternatevily have a slow protein such as casein which although is not great for building, is nonetheless great in preventing catabolism. So the quick builds but does not prevent catabolism, whilst the slow does not build but minimises catabolism, (relatively speaking of course).

Therefore, I’d be alternating between fast and slow depending on the situation and time of the day/night.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/6/1664

The most recent version of this article was published on 1 November 2006

Br J Sports Med. Published Online First: 1 September 2006. doi:10.1136/bjsm.2006.030031
Copyright © 2006 BMJ Publishing Group Ltd & British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine.
Review Article
Hyperinsulinemia, hyperaminoacidemia and post-exercise muscle anabolism: the search for the optimal recovery drink
Anssi H Manninen 1*
1 Advanced Research Press, Inc., United States
* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: sportsnutrition@luukku.com
Accepted 22 August 2006

Abstract
Dietary supplements and other ergogenic aids are popular among athletes. Recent studies have demonstrated that nutritional mixtures containing protein hydrolysates, added leucine, and high-glycimic carbohydrates strongly augments insulin secretion compared with the high-glycimic carbohydrates only trial. When post-exercise Hyperinsulinemia is supported by protein hydrolysate and leucine ingestion-induced hyperaminoacidemia, net protein deposition in muscle should occur. Thus, post-exercise recovery drinks containing these nutrients may lead to increased skeletal muscle hypertrophy and strength in conjunction with appropriate resistance training. However, the long-term effects on body composition and exercise performance remain to be determined.
Key Words: bodybuilding, leucine, protein hydrolysates, sports supplements, whey protein

PS: Have I answered your question...:confused:
Fadi.

Last edited:
Jason,

Upon waking would be ideal because the amino acid blood pool is on empty at this stage, which causes the pulsing to achieve hyperaminoacidemia more effectively. My choice would be to go down the path of the insulin pump created by a full spectrum of amino acids via WPI, with the added boost of 3g of Leucine which will serve to raise the insulin even higher still and help it in shuttling the aminos into the muscles.

You may want to go down the path of EAA + Leucine. My taste buds won’t allow me and you don’t get bang for your buck with either BCAA or EAA when compared with WPI. Around workout times is a different story.

Jason, we have a catch 22 here. On the one hand, we have a fast acting protein and Leucine, and an anabolic environment that has been created through training or fasting, which is very short term. Meaning these fast protein (WPI)/Leucine can not sustain an anabolic environment for long periods and must be either used exclusively pre/during/post workout and every 1 hour or so; or to alternatevily have a slow protein such as casein which although is not great for building, is nonetheless great in preventing catabolism. So the quick builds but does not prevent catabolism, whilst the slow does not build but minimises catabolism, (relatively speaking of course).

Therefore, I’d be alternating between fast and slow depending on the situation and time of the day/night.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/6/1664

The most recent version of this article was published on 1 November 2006

Br J Sports Med. Published Online First: 1 September 2006. doi:10.1136/bjsm.2006.030031
Copyright © 2006 BMJ Publishing Group Ltd & British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine.
Review Article
Hyperinsulinemia, hyperaminoacidemia and post-exercise muscle anabolism: the search for the optimal recovery drink
Anssi H Manninen 1*
1 Advanced Research Press, Inc., United States
* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: sportsnutrition@luukku.com
Accepted 22 August 2006

Abstract
Dietary supplements and other ergogenic aids are popular among athletes. Recent studies have demonstrated that nutritional mixtures containing protein hydrolysates, added leucine, and high-glycimic carbohydrates strongly augments insulin secretion compared with the high-glycimic carbohydrates only trial. When post-exercise Hyperinsulinemia is supported by protein hydrolysate and leucine ingestion-induced hyperaminoacidemia, net protein deposition in muscle should occur. Thus, post-exercise recovery drinks containing these nutrients may lead to increased skeletal muscle hypertrophy and strength in conjunction with appropriate resistance training. However, the long-term effects on body composition and exercise performance remain to be determined.
Key Words: bodybuilding, leucine, protein hydrolysates, sports supplements, whey protein

PS: Have I answered your question...:confused:
Fadi.

Thanks for taking the time Fadi.

In regards to the 2nd question, I was talking about achieving a state of hyperaminoacidemia via 'hyperaminoacidemia pulsing' where one consumes BCAA for example in between meals. I am basing this info on the following
study

Exogenous amino acids stimulate human muscle anabolism without interfering with the response to mixed meal ingestion

as well as anecdotal evidence suggesting this approach is able to facilitate gains even at what would be considered suboptimal caloric intake.

What's your opinion mate?

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time Fadi.

In regards to the 2nd question, I was talking about achieving a state of hyperaminoacidemia via 'hyperaminoacidemia pulsing' where one consumes BCAA for example in between meals. I am basing this info on the following
study

Exogenous amino acids stimulate human muscle anabolism without interfering with the response to mixed meal ingestion

as well as anecdotal evidence suggesting this approach is able to facilitate gains even at what would be considered suboptimal caloric intake.

What's your opinion mate?

Cheers.

Jason,

Every 5 hours at 8:30am, 1:30pm, 6:30pm, the control group consumed P 23g (EAA), Carb 126g, and fat 30g

The experimental group received the same meal as the control group but added the CAA (carb/amino acids) comprising of 30g Carbs and 15g EAA at 11am, 4pm, and 9pm.

So the way I understand it, is that they ate/drank something every 2.5 hours starting at 8:30am and finishing at 9pm.

My confusion is where is the “intact protein” the scientists are talking about? All I’m seeing is EAA and no protein food. If that’s how it was meant to be, then I’m not surprised at the outcome since EAA are easily digested/absorbed and won’t hinder the digestion/absorption of the “real food”. That’s where I’m having a problem with this study…where is the “intact protein” the scientists are talking about? I mean it’s great that EAA provide this and that and is quick to be digested and absorbed, but what’s next? Is that sustainable/practical? Help me out here Jason! May be I’m lacking some sleep here…:D.

PS: On low calories it's going to be the best approach due to the way amino acids are digested and absorbed in addition to allowing the meal before and after to do "its thing".

*PS (again), Jason, I am lacking some sleep. I just saw the word "than", which solved the puzzle for me. So yes, I'm with you 100% on this for the reasons I've descibed above. Man, those scientists should have spoken to me before hand; I would've save them an experiment to find what is bloody obvious!:D

"These data indicate that CAA supplementation produces a greater anabolic effect than ingestion of intact protein but does not interfere with the normal metabolic response to a meal".

Fadi.

Last edited:
Hey Fadi, you should give a run down of everything you take. You must spend so much money on vitamins, supps etc. each month! :eek:

Jason,

Every 5 hours at 8:30am, 1:30pm, 6:30pm, the control group consumed P 23g (EAA), Carb 126g, and fat 30g

The experimental group received the same meal as the control group but added the CAA (carb/amino acids) comprising of 30g Carbs and 15g EAA at 11am, 4pm, and 9pm.

So the way I understand it, is that they ate/drank something every 2.5 hours starting at 8:30am and finishing at 9pm.

My confusion is where is the “intact protein” the scientists are talking about? All I’m seeing is EAA and no protein food. If that’s how it was meant to be, then I’m not surprised at the outcome since EAA are easily digested/absorbed and won’t hinder the digestion/absorption of the “real food”. That’s where I’m having a problem with this study…where is the “intact protein” the scientists are talking about? I mean it’s great that EAA provide this and that and is quick to be digested and absorbed, but what’s next? Is that sustainable/practical? Help me out here Jason! May be I’m lacking some sleep here…:D.

PS: On low calories it's going to be the best approach due to the way amino acids are digested and absorbed in addition to allowing the meal before and after to do "its thing".

*PS (again), Jason, I am lacking some sleep. I just saw the word "than", which solved the puzzle for me. So yes, I'm with you 100% on this for the reasons I've descibed above. Man, those scientists should have spoken to me before hand; I would've save them an experiment to find what is bloody obvious!:D

"These data indicate that CAA supplementation produces a greater anabolic effect than ingestion of intact protein but does not interfere with the normal metabolic response to a meal".

Fadi.
You're cracking me up mate :D

Appreciate the reply!

HAHA, I was just saying that. Not for any particular reason.

To be honest, I couldn't really be bothered with all of this beta alanine, zinc, magnesium, Leucine blah blah blah. It seems way to complex for me. I eat well and take a multi and lift my ass off. Unless you have diet, rest and training on point, how much of a difference does it all make I wonder.