• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Let’s Lose Some Fat Mass…

ok so ive seen alot of talk about tabata training and finally decided to read on it. Now they do 20 sec on then 10 sec rest, This is Very diffrent from the 10 sec on 50 sec rest ive been doing,

Is the Tabata invtervals really that nessacary? or would that be something to work towards?

Say next step would be 10 sec 40 rest then 20 on 40 rest, and work to it that way?

ok so ive seen alot of talk about tabata training and finally decided to read on it. Now they do 20 sec on then 10 sec rest, This is Very diffrent from the 10 sec on 50 sec rest ive been doing,

Is the Tabata invtervals really that nessacary? or would that be something to work towards?

Say next step would be 10 sec 40 rest then 20 on 40 rest, and work to it that way?

You can do it the way you're planning, however when I wrote my program, my aim was to look after both mind as well as body. Our mind is very good at playing tricks with us especially when we're huffing and puffing due to oxygen deprivation. I wanted sustainability in effort, and I know for a fact that with the 10/50 you will be able to sustain a 100% (or near enough) effort over the 10 minutes period of the program.

You see, even the 10/50 is extremely hard if done properly. By properly I mean a 100% effort applied during the 10 seconds all out. Picture an Olympic Games 100m sprinter going all out for 10 seconds, then see what happens to him during a TV interview straight afterwards. Now you see that it'll take a lot more than 50 seconds for an (honest) all out effort to recover from a brutal all out 10 seconds, let alone performing a longer duration of 100% effort with less time to recover enough before going at it again.

Give both methods a go and see how you go, as nothing beats first hand experience.

Fadi.

If I remember correctly, Tabata is used for conditioning and lactic tolerance? You are supposed to aim for 100% effort each set and see how long you can maintain at the same number of reps/distance/force whatever you are doing.

take pushups for example, lets say i do 15 in the first round then my target all the way through is to maintain completing 15 reps in the 20 seconds each set

It is aimed a different audience to Fadi's program

I just wanted to post that I LOVE doing Fadi's 10 minute workout. It's the only "cardio" that i do at all

My preference is 10 second sprints on grass parkland which is 5 minutes "brisk walk" from my house. sprint for 10 seconds and walk back, i'm not strict about 50 seconds rest, whatever time i take to walk back from where i started is my rest

I did this for 2-3 weeks and definitely lost fat off my stomach, whilst still eating bread wraps for lunch, having protein and milo, fruit and musli for breakfast, so my "diet" wasn't at all strict. What's more i only did it maybe 3-4 times a week, not multiple times a day

After a 20-30 min jog i feel like crap, legs all lactic acid-y, sore joints and my heart doesn't even feel like it got a workout.

After doing sprints i just feel energised and GREAT!
thanks Fadi

You can do it the way you're planning, however when I wrote my program, my aim was to look after both mind as well as body. Our mind is very good at playing tricks with us especially when we're huffing and puffing due to oxygen deprivation. I wanted sustainability in effort, and I know for a fact that with the 10/50 you will be able to sustain a 100% (or near enough) effort over the 10 minutes period of the program.

You see, even the 10/50 is extremely hard if done properly. By properly I mean a 100% effort applied during the 10 seconds all out. Picture an Olympic Games 100m sprinter going all out for 10 seconds, then see what happens to him during a TV interview straight afterwards. Now you see that it'll take a lot more than 50 seconds for an (honest) all out effort to recover from a brutal all out 10 seconds, let alone performing a longer duration of 100% effort with less time to recover enough before going at it again.

Give both methods a go and see how you go, as nothing beats first hand experience.

Fadi.

I have now tried both methods, The Tabata intervals look good on paper, But your right, whats the point if your not goign to sustain 110% effort the hole time

I put maximum effort into each 10sec, and the 50sec rest is dam needed, The last couple sprints are a blur.

I love it.

Dam achilles tendons tho, Need to ease into these again. Remeber people warm up and STRETCH. you dont relise still your off training for a stuipd injury due to being lazy.

I have now tried both methods, The Tabata intervals look good on paper, But your right, whats the point if your not goign to sustain 110% effort the hole time

I put maximum effort into each 10sec, and the 50sec rest is dam needed, The last couple sprints are a blur.

I love it.

Dam achilles tendons tho, Need to ease into these again. Remeber people warm up and STRETCH. you dont relise still your off training for a stuipd injury due to being lazy.

Wow eerie, i just had achilles tendon issues myself (sharp pain in the back of the heel) last week. Yep I reckon it was due to me not stretching my calves, and the sharp increase in sprints

A trainer told me a way to treat it is to massage the calf muscle, rubbing downwards to help release the strain on the tendon. worked for me, but prevention better than cure ofcourse

I just wanted to post that I LOVE doing Fadi's 10 minute workout. It's the only "cardio" that i do at all

My preference is 10 second sprints on grass parkland which is 5 minutes "brisk walk" from my house. sprint for 10 seconds and walk back, i'm not strict about 50 seconds rest, whatever time i take to walk back from where i started is my rest

I did this for 2-3 weeks and definitely lost fat off my stomach, whilst still eating bread wraps for lunch, having protein and milo, fruit and musli for breakfast, so my "diet" wasn't at all strict. What's more i only did it maybe 3-4 times a week, not multiple times a day

After a 20-30 min jog i feel like crap, legs all lactic acid-y, sore joints and my heart doesn't even feel like it got a workout.

After doing sprints i just feel energised and GREAT!
thanks Fadi

You're most welcome Tony and I'm glad it's working for you. Just remember that you may choose the exercise of your choice, as long as it does the job within the 10 seconds time frame. For me, if I'm in the mood, I would blast through 10 seconds of power cleans to get my heart, lungs, and everything in between revving like mad. If your lower joints are a bit sore for example, you may choose the smoothness of a stationary bike.

In any case, what you have written Tony is music to my ears, so thank you.

Fadi.

Hey fadi i started doing this yesterday. Did 7 burpees then fast paced walked for 50 seconds (until end when i was all puffed out, then went a bit slower).

How much weight do you think is good to lose each fortnight?

I thought the whole metabolism thing was a myth though?

Hey fadi i started doing this yesterday. Did 7 burpees then fast paced walked for 50 seconds (until end when i was all puffed out, then went a bit slower).]How much weight do you think is good to lose each fortnight? I thought the whole metabolism thing was a myth though?
LMD, firstly thank you for giving this program a go. And secondly, there's no need to walk briskly when in the active recovery mode section of the exercise. As long as you're not sitting down, then moving around is what is needed and what is meant by active recovery. So please don't kill yourself during the 50 seconds of active recovery, but instead, use the time to prime... the beast within, for the next 10 seconds all-out effort!

I would not even think "lose" weight as much as I would focus on how I feel and look in my clothes first and foremost. Everyone is different depending on their metabolic engine. In addition, who says that you have to lose any weight? I mean, if you weigh a certain weight, and that weight is not excessive but has its ratio in favour of fat over muscles, then a recompositioning of weight (a shift in fat to muscle ratio in favour of lean bodyweight) may be what the doctor ordered.

The moral of the story LMD, is think looks and feel, before getting bogged down with the devil... ahhh, I mean weight scale!

Take care Champ, and remember the best weapon of all is consistency of effort and focus on goal.

PS: As far as the myth goes: your cells are more sensitive to insulin when you exercise as opposed to when you are sedentary. So what? Insulin is a double edged anabolic hormone, great for both muscle as well as fat gains. Eat and sit, and you will get fat. Eat and move and it would be a lot harder to get fat. What happens to your V8 engine when you switch it off after a nice drive around town? Does it instantly get cold simply because the pistons are not moving anymore, or does it take some time to cool down.

Fadi.

Last edited:
LMD, firstly thank you for giving this program a go. And secondly, there's no need to walk briskly when in the active recovery mode section of the exercise. As long as you're not sitting down, then moving around is what is needed and what is meant by active recovery. So please don't kill yourself during the 50 seconds of active recovery, but instead, use the time to prime... the beast within, for the next 10 seconds all-out effort!

I would not even think "lose" weight as much as I would focus on how I feel and look in my clothes first and foremost. Everyone is different depending on their metabolic engine. In addition, who says that you have to lose any weight? I mean, if you weigh a certain weight, and that weight is not excessive but has its ratio in favour of fat over muscles, then a recompositioning of weight (a shift in fat to muscle ratio in favour of lean bodyweight) may be what the doctor ordered.

The moral of the story LMD, is think looks and feel, before getting bogged down with the devil... ahhh, I mean weight scale!

Take care Champ, and remember the best weapon of all is consistency of effort and focus on goal.

PS: As far as the myth goes: your cells are more sensitive to insulin when you exercise as opposed to when you are sedentary. So what? Insulin is a double edged anabolic hormone, great for both muscle as well as fat gains. Eat and sit, and you will get fat. Eat and move and it would be a lot harder to get fat. What happens to your V8 engine when you switch it off after a nice drive around town? Does it instantly get cold simply because the pistons are not moving anymore, or does it take some time to cool down.

Fadi.

thanks fadi,

i bolded the above for question, you said if fat is dominat over muscle. I would be around 15% bodyfat, thats an estimate but it would be around there.

Sorry to sound impatient but generally how long do you think would be needed to body recomp from 15% to 10% or around there? That is having a calorie deficit, weights 4 days a week, and your hiit 6 days a week?

thanks fadi,
i bolded the above for question, you said if fat is dominat over muscle. I would be around 15% bodyfat, thats an estimate but it would be around there.
Sorry to sound impatient but generally how long do you think would be needed to body recomp from 15% to 10% or around there? That is having a calorie deficit, weights 4 days a week, and your hiit 6 days a week?
LMD, a calorie dificit would not be the way to go when the subject is about body recompositioning. Rather, it's calorie maintenance that would be called for, meaning your bodyweight would neither increase nor decrease (I know I sound like a broken record) but recompositioning would be the order of the day. Now you've asked about the time factor. Well, doing it that way, unfortunately for the impatient takes the longest. But the reward is that you not only don't lose any muscles, but you actually gain muscle and lose fat. That is exactly what occurs to Olympic weightlifters who train hard, eat normally without gaining or losing weight, only to end up with around 10% bodyfat after couple of years of training.

You see the issue is when someone is "looking" for that weight loss, or body ratio change, it never seems to be happening, similar to someone looking at a clock watching for the large minute "dial" to change from one minute to the next.

If you want quick results (or at least much quicker results), then you reduce your calories below maintenance by about 200 and work your butt off more frequently.

PS: when I said: weight is not excessive but has its ratio in favour of fat over muscles, I did not mean that one has more fat than muscles, but rather more visible fat than muscles… which you would have to lose enough of in order to see the larger percentage of muscles that you have. In body recompositioning, muscles would replace the fat that is lost, hence bodyweight remains the same, but would look a hell of a lot differently.

Fadi.

Last edited: