• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

leg press info

I didn't say shit about compressive forces
I'll let you work it out, I can't be bothered arguing about leg press

I know I have read that the leg press is stressful for the back but when using one have never noticed it.

If I had the cash I would get one for my gym. I like using the leg press. Squats for me are all P chain, lower back especially. I like being able to just get on the leg press and work the legs.

I am still looking for a leg press for my home gym as well.

And I love squats, need both IMO.

I want one of those 45 degree seated leg press machines.

I want one of these or similar:

KGrHqRHJCgE-elhM7NmBPo1epW1OQ60_12.jpg

or even this:

IMG_20120418_205151.jpg

Both are Australian Made Samson Leg presses, anyone know where I can find one let me know!!

Last edited:
I know I have read that the leg press is stressful for the back but when using one have never noticed it.

If I had the cash I would get one for my gym. I like using the leg press. Squats for me are all P chain, lower back especially. I like being able to just get on the leg press and work the legs.

My thoughts exactly. At the commercial gym I could squat my work stuff then rep out on the LP and it really felt different. I will still squat for strength and 1rms etc but the press will be good for higher volume and growth.

Just waiting for a decent 45 degree unit to show up second hand now.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Dont lock out in the extended position, due to most peoples legs differing slightly in length, it can have implications to lower back issue later on.

Position you feet so that they are inline with the knee and shoulder.
Don't exaggerate the angle of the foot and don't place the knee past the line of he shoulder.

Changing the angle of the feet and placing the feet higher or lower on the plate does not place an emphasis on certain areas of the quad muscle.

Position your feet and knee on the pad in a way to enable the same path/movement of the machine you are on.
In other words, work with the axis of the machine.

thanks for the pointers Goosey. i had heard lots of bits and pieces about foot positioning etc. I also wasnt sure about locking out like one would with squats.

appreciate the tips mate

thanks for the pointers Goosey. i had heard lots of bits and pieces about foot positioning etc. I also wasnt sure about locking out like one would with squats.

appreciate the tips mate

Personally, I try make it my business to never let the joint take the load. I recall Goosey recently saying to never lockout on.. anything?

Ended up getting a used body solid leg press/hack squat unit. Awesome bit of gear and feels a lot different to squatting. Nice to have a variation of leg movements now.

Bring on the wheels in 2013 :)