• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Extensions Bad for Knees?

vader-nator

I have only been back in training since the first day of spring but am beginning to get right into it now.

PROBLEM

I tend to do pre - exhaustion superset leg extensions and jump straight into squats or leg press.

But on leg extensions my knee joints are making an effing terrible snap crackle and popping sound like a plastic bag full of gravel being twisted. I never noticed until I did a workout late last night and music was off.

Holy crap it sounds disgusting.

What the hell is up with that?

Rob

I can hear the music in my knees when squatting.. :)

Most people say that some cracking sounds are fine, as long as it's not accompanied by pain..

It could be : Crepitus - What Is Crepitus

If it gets worse, or you're concerned about it, go see a physio or somethin'.

I don't do leg extensions because of the stress hey put on your knees.

Ah Rob, you and your BB ways. haha Pre-exhausting and stuff. I am screwed as it is after squats, I couldn't get through them if I pre-exhaust.

It is good to have someone on the forum who loves what they do and sticks to what they know. I feel like the robot in that clip once again.

Thanks for your ideas guys.

I don't feel quite as freaked out about it now. I have no pain at all with it.

After much self diagnosis on the internet...LOL.... I think it could be fairly common.

One tip I did discover was that super slow reps on the leg extension may in fact put the tendon and patella under an unnatural level of stress due to the extreme isolation of the movement. Makes sense. It's a wonder the knee cap doesn't shoot off like a champagne cork.

My obsession with Mentzer rep speed may be a contributing factor to the problem. ie 4 sec up 2 sec hold 5 sec down. I have done them this way for ages.

Keep em smooth enough to keep pumping..... never as a lift.

Next time I will reduce the overall tonnage and pump out some normal speed reps, see how it goes.

Might need to turn the music back up! LOL

Rob

Last edited:
My knees sound a bit like velcro, no snaps or pops, just crackles :)

But I never notice it at the gym, mainly when I'm ascending or descending stairs. I think the gym is too noisy to hear it... but no pain.

Or in the middle of the night when I put the baby in the cot and the room is absolutely silent. I straighten up, crackle, and sometimes the baby realises I'm making a run for it, and decides to discuss it :D

Its your body telling you to get of the sissy girl leg extension machine and go straight into raw ass to grass barbell squats. Listen to your body!

But in all seriousness dont worry about the noise, heaps of people get it all different joints, nothing to worry about.

And please forget about the leg extension machine. Regular heavy squats will build legs like car jacks, and a properly strong body.

I'll guarantee you this bloke does not use the leg extension machine, he does squat though!
body20of20lifter.jpg

LOL! The joys of Kids:)

My knees sound a bit like velcro, no snaps or pops, just crackles :)

But I never notice it at the gym, mainly when I'm ascending or descending stairs. I think the gym is too noisy to hear it... but no pain.

Or in the middle of the night when I put the baby in the cot and the room is absolutely silent. I straighten up, crackle, and sometimes the baby realises I'm making a run for it, and decides to discuss it :D

Its your body telling you to get of the sissy girl leg extension machine and go straight into raw ass to grass barbell squats. Listen to your body!

LOL

What about sissy squats. LOL

Man you PL boys have the macho thing covered. Love it !!!! LOL

If it doesn't hurt, don't worry.

That said...

When you do a leg extension, all the force goes through one ligament in your knee.

When you do a leg press or squat or deadlift, the force goes through three ligaments in your knee.

I know of no studies showing a difference in rates of injuries, etc. However, I'm inclined to go for the exercises that spread the force around a bit.

Makes logical sense.

You wouldn't drive your car if it was making a sound like this.

No sound with squats, hacks , leg press etc.

I am in this for the long haul. Not making any long term sacrifices just to satisfy my ego in the present.

Train to be well.;)

If it doesn't hurt, don't worry.

That said...

When you do a leg extension, all the force goes through one ligament in your knee.

When you do a leg press or squat or deadlift, the force goes through three ligaments in your knee.

I know of no studies showing a difference in rates of injuries, etc. However, I'm inclined to go for the exercises that spread the force around a bit.

leg extensions are used in prehab so they cant be that bad for your knees. wouldn't suggest doing 3rm's or anything, but they would work well to pre-exhaust the quads.

i get a crunching sorta noise in my right knee aswell, no pain. can only hear it if i listen for it. the physio didn't seem too concerned when i asked him about it.

I have a slightly dodgy left knee that I had reconstructed almost 20 years ago.
It was one of my excuses for not doing heavy squats and persisting with machines for lower body workouts.I always had some kind of pain and/or discomfort.Recently I said hang it and started squatting and gave up on the machines,except for calf raises.
The knee has given me nil problems since.Absolutely nothing.Neither has my back.
I`m not going to tell you to give up/take up one or the other but it that is my personal experience.

When I do leg extensions I don't max it out. I do slow controlled movement and around 20-25 reps or triple 8's, with toes pointing in, forward, and out.