• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Layne Norton's 'PHAT' routine

Franco

Article Here

Thought this was a good read and is a routine I'm pretty keen to try. Lot of volume and obviously a good mix between hypertrophy and power lifting.

I did a phat routine for a while, it's great, I did less volume though and dropped the dynamic effort stuff...

But solid training routine!!

Yep thats the thing. Layne Norton's PHAT is a guideline to be taylored how ever so slightly to your requirements.

He seems to know his shiz, Mr Norton.

This member below posted this in another thread containing an excel file of PHAT. Thanks krs!

Been following this routine for the last 2 weeks, would like some critique and suggestions.

Phat routine

Thanks for the link L.P.S.

Will be changing Layne’s version ever so slightly for a few exercises. ie. Standing calf raises instead of donkey calf raises. But I am starting this tomorrow. Will probably start a new log with my sessions.

So this is how I’ll be doing it… I’m on holidays till February at the moment so volume is not an issue. Its not a huge lot of lifting in my opinion anyway. Cant see too many of those sessions going over 1hr or 1.5hrs.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Upper Body Power Day

• Bent over rows
- 3 sets of 3-5 reps
• Pull-ups - 2 sets of 6-10 reps
• Bench Press - 3 sets of 3-5 reps
• Dips
- 2 sets of 6-10 reps
• Seated DB shoulder presses
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps
• EZ bar curls
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps
• Skull crushers
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps

Wednesday: Lower Body Power Day

• Squats
- 3 sets of 3-5 reps
• Hack Squats
- 2 sets of 6-10 reps
• Leg extensions
- 2 sets of 6-10 reps
• Stiff legged deadlifts
- 3 sets of 5-8 reps
• Lying leg curls
- 2 sets of 6-10 reps
• Standing calf raise
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps
• Seated calf raise
- 2 sets of 6-10 reps

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

• Bent over rows
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps
• Seated cable row
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• DB Shrugs on incline bench
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps
• Close grip pull-downs
- 2 sets of 15-20 reps
• Seated dumbbell presses
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Upright rows
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps
• Side lateral raises -
3 sets of 12-20 reps

Saturday: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

• Squats
- 3 sets of 6-10 reps
• Hack squats
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Leg presses
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps
• Leg extensions
- 3 sets of 15-20 reps
• Lying leg curls
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps
• Standing calf raises
- 4 sets of 10-15 reps
• Seated calf raises
- 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Sunday: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

• Flat dumbbell presses
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Incline dumbbell presses
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Hammer strength chest press
- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
• Machine chest flyes
- 2 sets of 15-20 reps
• EZ bar curls
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell curls
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps
• Seated triceps extension with EZ bar
- 3 sets of 8-12 reps
• Cable press-downs with rope attachment
- 2 sets of 12-15 reps

Is it possible to this kind of program using only a rack and barbell (and weights of course).

Most of the upper body stuff yes. There is alot of machine stuff in there for legs though. There is generally always a relative 'free weight' version of machine movements. Hopefully someone on here can give you some good alternatives to those machine exercises

Resistance bands are good for stuff you cant to with a barbell. For example, you secure a resistance band to your rack, attach it to your ankle and basically extend your leg from a 45 degree angle out so that it is straight, replicating a leg extension movement.

I have been on PHAT for the last 4 months roughly and it is the best program i have ever used.

I love the mix between power and hypertrophy.

I have been on PHAT for the last 4 months roughly and it is the best program i have ever used.

I love the mix between power and hypertrophy.

Had any strength / size gains yet from it??

Edit... Dont worry, l wont be a lazy fuck and ill actually read your log.

I did it a bit differently to suit my goals, thats the beauty of PHAT, I had 3 power and 2 hypertrophy days

m-squat/legs power
t-bench/push power
w-deadlift/pull power

f-lower hypertrophy
s-upper hypertrophy

for sure one of the most enjoyable training styles going around

Most of the upper body stuff yes. There is alot of machine stuff in there for legs though. There is generally always a relative 'free weight' version of machine movements. Hopefully someone on here can give you some good alternatives to those machine exercises

Resistance bands are good for stuff you cant to with a barbell. For example, you secure a resistance band to your rack, attach it to your ankle and basically extend your leg from a 45 degree angle out so that it is straight, replicating a leg extension movement.

Thanks for that. I have the Force US rack now so may have a reason to use some bands now.

Truthfully my legs are out of proportion to my upper body anyway. I was a baseball pitcher and spent alot of time working out the legs while my upper body was doing alot less. I don't know but maybe sticking to the basics of squats and deads will suffice while I work the upper body more?

Thanks for that. I have the Force US rack now so may have a reason to use some bands now.

Truthfully my legs are out of proportion to my upper body anyway. I was a baseball pitcher and spent alot of time working out the legs while my upper body was doing alot less. I don't know but maybe sticking to the basics of squats and deads will suffice while I work the upper body more?

Just doing squats, deads, bench and OHP is plenty to do the whole body...
Everyone neglects these, but they should be the base of all programs, as I said they could even be a whole program!!!

Just doing squats, deads, bench and OHP is plenty to do the whole body...
Everyone neglects these, but they should be the base of all programs, as I said they could even be a whole program!!!

What about squat, dead, dip, pull up? (I enjoy dips and pull ups too much ;D)

I did it a bit differently to suit my goals, thats the beauty of PHAT, I had 3 power and 2 hypertrophy days

m-squat/legs power
t-bench/push power
w-deadlift/pull power

f-lower hypertrophy
s-upper hypertrophy

for sure one of the most enjoyable training styles going around

Would you mind posting your training details for this swap around? :)

Had any strength / size gains yet from it??

Edit... Dont worry, l wont be a lazy fuck and ill actually read your log.

Im leaner, bigger and stronger then before i started PHAT.

The video below i deadlift 230kg and i am 7kg lighter then when i last hit this deadlift at ProRaw2. I have been on a calorie defecit for 4 months. I have also not deadlifted in 4 months.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Rk6pwXuXg&list=HL1355359637&feature=mh_lolz[/ame]
So in answer to your question. It is working very well for me so far :)

Last edited:
Would you mind posting your training details for this swap around? :)

So basically I did the main movement on the power day for 6-7 sets of 3-5, then or other things on that day I did 2-3 sets 6-8

Eg squat- 7 sets x5
Leg press 3 sets x 8 reps
Stiff leg deads 2x 8 reps
Leg ext 2x8
Leg curl 2x8

Push power/Bench day
6x 3-5 bench press
4x 3-5 ohp
Inc db 3x 8
3x8 weighted dips

Pull power/ dead day
6x 3-5 deads
3x8 bb row
3x 8 tbar row
3x 8 lat pd

Then my hypertrophy days were a pretty simple lower upper split
Lower-
squats 3x10-12
Hack squat 3x 10-12
Farmers walk 3x fail
Glute/ham raise 3x15
Superset leg curl+ext 2x15
Calf press 3 x15

Upper-
4x12 flat db press
3x12 seated db shoulder press
4x12 rack pulls
3x drop set cable crossover
50 wide grip pull ups (as many sets as needed)
1x15 bro curls
1x 15 skull crush

That's about it, yes my hypertrophy days were a bit Bro-ish but herp derp that's what I was doing at the time

I said squats and deads...

I was kind of just making a statement, chins and dips are awesome too...

Me too. I'm just intrigued by the number of people on here who seem to just do squat, bench, dead.. ohp + a few odds and ends (based on their training logs).