• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lactose Intolerance Help

A

Alfacino

Hey all,
I'm just wondering what the best creatine/protein would be for me. Im Lactose Intolerant & i have Crohns disease, i really don't want either of these to hinder my diet & supplements though. I just put up a diary so if you want to see my height/weight/training/diet please go there.

(i cant put the link up yet, i dont have enough posts)

Cino, you should definitely ask your doctor, mate. Lactose intolerance is just a normal dietary thing, we can advise about that, Crohn's is a lot more serious. (Crohn's disease link for those who never heard of it, it's serious stuff.)

Cino, you should definitely ask your doctor, mate. Lactose intolerance is just a normal dietary thing, we can advise about that, Crohn's is a lot more serious.
I've spoken to the doc & i pretty much know what i need to know about it (i was diagnosed a measely 3/4 months ago), and im getting used to looking at the ingredients in foods, supplements etc before i buy. I'm after some suggestions & i should be able to syphon what i can have from what i can't have from there. But thanks for being considerate in saying that and i do keep in touch with the doc on a regular basis.

Okay, that's good to hear, mate. Lots of young blokes are very much "she'll be right!" which is why they crash cars all the time and stuff. Excuse the similar rant in your training journal thread ;)

Basically, people who can't or won't have dairy products turn to soy. But you don't actually need protein powder, there's nothing magical about it, it's just another form of food. People consume protein and carb powder for two reasons.

The first is that people who want to bulk up will sometimes find it physically hard to eat enough to do it, or don't have enough time to prepare all the food, so if you can whack some stuff in a drink, that makes it easier. It's easier to make and consume a litre of soy milk than steak and vegies.

The second is that it's good to have some food in your just before and just after your workout, to fuel your workout and help you recover from it. But if you have a big meal just before then with a hard workout you may leave it on the gym floor, and immediately after a workout you usually won't feel hungry. So a protein and carb drink gives you something you can digest quickly and have even if you're not hungry.

You could just have some soy milk or fruit juice with a few raw eggs blended up in it, it'd do the same thing - give you that pre and post workout fuel.

But if you have got the time and can get enough food down you, you don't need protein/carb powders at all. Protein powder wasn't even invented until 1950, but we still got guys like Steve Reeves and Reg Park, strong and muscular guys.