• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Labour work + Gym work?

Daniel.308

Hey guys

Well this is my recent dilema...

I finally got a job after about 3yrs of sitting on my ass - though I was studying during this time lol...

The job I just got is very labour intense, I am pretty much throwing boxes for 8hours straight (30min break)... I used to dig trenches (about 1.5m deep) for the laying of pipes with a plumber before this job and I found that a shit load easier than what I am doing now (throwing box after box and stacking on a pallet - the boxes range from 1kg to 20kg)...

My question here is when I get home I am in fucking pain, the moment I take off my boots I simply want to have a shower and sleep... The biggest issue I am having is my feet just cain - steel cap boots + no cushioning (cement) + 8hrs on your feet = pain... I bought cushioning insoles and they seemed to help a lot...

My plan was to get back into training this week on Monday (first day at work) as my back seems to be recovered and feels great, though the moment I get home from work I just fall asleep for a few hours...

It's been like this all week except for yesterday (felt better I think cause of the insoles)...

Also all the guys I work with are absoloute UNITS (majority are on gear), this guy I work with eats like 1kg of mince with over half a kg of spaghetti for lunch (about 4-5 bowls) plus has a banana...

I am just curous as to how all these people with labour work seem to go home and train? I am thinking it is just because I am getting used to it and will eventually adapt to working 8hrs a day 5x a week and then gain enough energy to train...

My shifts are 8hrs so I can no longer eat every 2hrs as I was before (when I was jobless)

I start at 5am and finish at 1pm so my meal plan is something like this;

Breakfast is something like 40grams of WPC, frozen berries, 500ml of milk, few tbsps of ABC spread as I am in a rush at 4am...

2hrs into my shift when we're waiting on pallets I sneak out and smash 2 nut bars with a banana or apple - needs to be quick as I am not allowed a break lol...

2hrs after that I have my lunch - all this week I had 500grams of mince bolognase with 150grams of wholemeal pasta with a salad (depending on wether I have time I make the salad)

2hrs after that I have the same snack as the first one...

Then I go home and have a solid meal...

How do all you guys who do physical work jobs cope with working and training? After work I can't stand on my feet let alone bare the thought of squatting?

Any help with my issue will be appreciated...

Cheers

Grow testicles eat concrete?

But seriously I think it's just time getting used to it you..

You'll get used to it. Comfy shoes (so your feet don't feel terrible) are a big one. Eating enough is another.

You have a regular shift that finishes at a reasonable hour so it isn't that bad. Try working a rotating shift, sleep gets all fucked up and then domino effects other things ):

Easiest way is to just train @ say 5pm each day no matter what. Whinge about it, feel sore, just do it anyway.

As far as eating, a big breakfast (get up earlier, don't be lazy) + big lunch + shake should do it. For an 8 hour shift you usually get 30min lunch and a 10min smoko somewhere (if not 2 smokos). Have a meal for lunch and down the shake during smoko.

Eg

Big breakfast 4am / 'Lunch' 9am / Shake 11am / Something when you get home.

Funnily enough my shifts rotate...

Week 1 - 5-1pm
Week 2 - 7-3pm
Week 3 - 3-11pm

I am just working 5-1pm for the next 3 weeks as I am training then I am on the rotating roster...

My biggest downfall has been breakfast lol, I'll look over some meals and see how they go on Monday...

If I asked the guys at work how to do it they'd tell me to start jabbing and go on a cycle lol...

I was working from 5am till 4pm, get home and train, then work from 4pm till 11pm. I worked Saturday's 5-11am too.
It can be done, you just need to harden up.

Make time to eat. I doubt very much your employer is allowed to make you work 8 hours with only 1 30min break.

G'Day Mate,

I don't have a labour intensive job. I am, however, on my feet from around 7am until 4pm 6 days per week, and extremely hard pressed for breaks during that period (issuing licences for forklifts, boomlifts, scaffolding, etc). I need to leave home by 5.30am most days, sometimes earlier.

Up until recently, I was skipping breakfast, skipping lunch, and then having a half-arsed dinner before bed. A few days ago, I started forcing myself to get out of bed earlier, and have a bacon & eggs breakfast. I tell you what, it sucks at the time - i.e. having no appetite so early, but it has done wonders for general energy levels throughout the day.

Also - invest in a good pair of boots. Steel Blue make a range of comfy boots. Definately choose something that laces up a few inches above the ankle. You'll look like a Nazi, but they take a lot of pressure off the general area.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Aaron.

i work 7 - 3:30 mon - fri as a cabinet maker, so i know what you mean by on your feet labouring all day... And the breaks, i get a 15min break, and a half hour break...

You say that when you get home, the shoes come off, have a shower then bed, go straight to the gym after work...

It takes some getting used too with the hours, from study to full time work also, but have all your stuff in the bag... Works for me..

On the shoes, i wear oliver steel toes, but they are a shoe, not a boot, and they are super comfy...

Last edited:
Funnily enough my shifts rotate...

Week 1 - 5-1pm
Week 2 - 7-3pm
Week 3 - 3-11pm

This is still 'normal', so you'll be fine.

As an example, on Wednesday I worked 11pm to 7am Thurs, then 3pm Thurs to 1am Friday, then 11pm Friday to 9am this morning (Sat). My sleep is all fucked up, yo.

With your shift times you can either work out after or before (in the case of arvo shift) and still get to bed at a reasonable hour. You have it good, mate :p

I'm in a similar situation to you (though less labour intensive by the sounds of it).

As the others have said, you HAVE to eat, and as much and as often as possible. I'm at the point now where if I miss breakfast on the Monday I'm already behind the 8 ball and it takes me til the next Monday to feel 'fresh' again.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep as well (I have the same problem as the food - bad night sleep early in the week and I'm f*cked).
I'd probably ease into the weights cos then it won't be as much of a shock to your system (which, coupled with the new job could prove a nasty combo).

Dunno if you've already started but maybe week one go Monday night only @ a medium intensity, week 2 Monday and Thursday, week 3 Mon/Wed/Fri (depending on how often you go). And remember - a bad session is still better than no session! You'll be surprised how often you'll feel like shit then get to the gym and be bouncing off the walls =P

It's been said, but good boots, heaps of food and water (a lot of people miss the water), good sleep - 8 hours plus, and then time to get used to the work.
Take a couple weeks off training if you want, and only train on days when you feel really good. Then start adding the training back in when you're used to the work.
All this from experience - I used to do 9 hour days gardening and landscaping in 30 degree heat, and it fucken rapes you. You'll get used to it, but if you push too hard too soon you'll get sick or get an injury.

They obviously eat big and have the advantage of drugs and genetics. You don't, so you might have to play things smarter.

Once you get past the beginner stage keep things to x3 a week. Do something like PPP or 5/3/1 and just squat, bench and deadlift, don't fartass around with a million assistance lifts, pick 2 and GTFO.

Eating big is important as everyone has said, but make sure you're not wasting your time with a retarded 4-5 day split.

I work in a steel mill from 6:30 am to 7pm get a 15min break at 9 and 30min lunch break at 12. thats it. Job involves alot of manual lifting and throwing steel around, like you when I first started there my lifting suffered for the first few weeks but then you harden up to it all. I eat food for breakfast, smoko and lunch and manage to take a shake round 3 or 4, not ideal but better then nothing. Bosses have to let you be able to get a drink so you can easily take a shaker with you

Go straight from work to the gym. Is there any point to going home first? Can u shower at the gym? Going home first only gives u more chances to procrastinate going to the gym.

Thanks for all the replys guys!

My gym is at home and I think the convenience of working out whenever I like is acting as a negative in this case. . .

I think I just need to get used to it and smash a massive breakfast and incoporate some shakes...

I am drinking 2L of water during my shift so I think that's sweet...

I am definatly going to start on Monday with no excuses, might not push as hard though will cut down rest periods (as this has been the biggest issue with me - I rest about 4-5mins per set)...

I will see how I go....

Plus all the guys at work have smaller legs than me (I squat 80kg 3x8) lol, though they could curl 80kg no issues...

Some of my best workouts were after a hard day's labouring, shoveling and pushing wheelbarrows full of concrete.

Seing as you have the luxury of a home gym, why not split it up druing the day,

ie in the morning do 2 sets targeting one groups and in the evening after work, or after a nanna nap punch out a few more sets, spreading the load will help..

You can possible also make your job work for you, squat low picking stuff up, maintain some good form, it will all help you in the long term, it will help you to delete some exercises from your normal routine, work will give you volume, at home you can focus on strength..

Just remember to look after your back..

As mentioned spend up big on decent boots, slip on T boots are fkd, there are heaps of great lace up boots around, also get bigg ass socks.

Another tip, you could make some home made protein bars, keep 1-2 in your pocket and have them between meals while you work.