• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Kettlebells for GF

U

UKJay

Hey guys,

GF has expressed an interest in trying out some kettlebells. Works well for me as we are living in a small flat with no space for a barbell, and the KB is fairly easy to take down to the private courtyard to train with.

How heavy KBs should I get? Looking to get two or three.

She's about average fitness, can knock out a couple of unassisted dips, been trying to encourage her to improve her strength so I'm pretty happy she's asked for this.

Cheers all.

You will need to get ones that arent too heavy for her...

Depends what you will be doing with them. UDLs, Thrusters, Russian Getups etc.

Get a heavy one for UDL.

Get some lighter ones for Thrusters and snaches etc.

I use kettlebells a little bit with my clients for general conditioning work.

I've got,

4kg x2
8kg x2
12kg x2
16kg
20kg
which cost me $250, and that's been plenty for the people I train, who are almost all beginners.

You can do a routine of,
Swings 1'00" - max reps in that time
Goblet squats 1'00"
Rows 1'00" - get in the "starter runner" position, supporting hand on supporting leg
Overhead presses 1'00"
Rest 1'00"
repeat

Start with the 4kg for a warmup, in the next set use the 8kg, then the 4kg for a cooldown. Smaller people can use the 8kg two-handed for swings and/or presses, larger people will do it one-handed. Next fortnight, add another work set with the 8kg. The following fortnight, a third work set.

You need someone standing nearby to count it out with a stopwatch, if you don't have that, just do a certain amount of reps, eg

Swings 1x10
Goblet squats 1x10
Overhead presses 1x10

next week do 1x12, following week 1x14, and so on up to 1x20.

and a single 4kg and 8kg will be plenty, most beginners will struggle to put the 12kg overhead very many times after doing the other stuff at a decent pace.

Once the person can do 4-5 sets of this at the work weight, they need either a heavier bell - 12, 16, 20kg. At this time they might also add snatches, though those are a bit technical compared to swings, squats and presses.

Of course all the sorts of isolation work you can do with dumbbells, like curls and front raises, you can also do with kettlebells. I prefer all compound movements, myself, at least for beginners.

Last edited:
Just for the update, ended up with three KBs (8/12/16kg) from Gym Direct (didn't even realise they were a site sponsor until I came home). The gf was quite happy and has been using them heaps already so I think we're onto a winner here.