• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Keto

Snoochies

What experiences have people here have with keto?

I've been on it for a month and have finally adapted but have found the workouts have suffered tremendously, especially squats. On the plus side though seems I am able to finally start shedding some fat. The scales haven't moved alot but starting to see some definition (which I had none) in certain areas.

Normally by tonight I am in keto and feel better as the week goes by.

Strength is as simple as calories
If you're losing strength, increase calories
If you're trying to drop fat, you need to accept that your lifts will go down a little

I ran it years ago and found it very effective for dropping body fat, but it was too long ago to remember if there were any significant strength drops, plus at the time I was doing HIIT which would have helped.

If you're trying to drop fat, you need to accept that your lifts will go down a little

Not quite that simple. Depends on how much to lose and over what period of time. I've had many shorter duration cuts and still increased strength.

Just starting to do keto as I have found I feel better and sleep better when I remove carbs from my diet, can anyone help me work out my macros for keto? I'm finding a lot of stuff on the internets contradicting itself.

Someone people love it, some people hate it.

I have always done the high fat/high protein/low-limited carb diet - works for me great.

Inregards to strength increases or decreases - if you goal is to cut weight and your dieting really hard then yes you prob will drop some strength - I have never really found I dropped much strength when either maintaining/cutting on a keto style diet.

How fast are you dropping weight/how much strength have you lost etc etc - of course if you have dropped cals to low or your protein/fats are not high enough then yes you will have a decrease in strength - this goes for any sort of diet though.

Just starting to do keto as I have found I feel better and sleep better when I remove carbs from my diet, can anyone help me work out my macros for keto? I'm finding a lot of stuff on the internets contradicting itself.

Are you talking about what % of protein you should have and what % of fat you should have? - i.e what split to go with? 40% fat/60% protein etc

Yeah that's what I'm after. As I've just started a week or so ago I've been trying for around 40/40/20 p, f, c and have been managing that pretty well. Though I think 20% carb is still too high for keto

Someone people love it, some people hate it.

I have always done the high fat/high protein/low-limited carb diet - works for me great.

Inregards to strength increases or decreases - if you goal is to cut weight and your dieting really hard then yes you prob will drop some strength - I have never really found I dropped much strength when either maintaining/cutting on a keto style diet.

How fast are you dropping weight/how much strength have you lost etc etc - of course if you have dropped cals to low or your protein/fats are not high enough then yes you will have a decrease in strength - this goes for any sort of diet though.

Unless you are at elite level strength dropping strength on a cut shows you have too low calories, carbs or both in your diet.

I find best results keeping protein at 2g/lb of lean mass
Then filling in the rest of the calories with fats

So whether you're trying to gain or lose weight, depends on the type of meat you eat.
Regular ground beef is a good start. I found fats at 1g/lb and protein at 2g/lb to be pretty much perfect for a recomp. I did this very simply, just ate meat until I had hit my fat intake then filled in the gaps with protein shakes. If I couldn't finish my food, I switched to a fattier meat and if I was going hungry, I chose a leaner meat

I am finding that I'm getting stronger on 1200kcal a day, but I need to play around with things a lot. I throw in two ultra high unlimited calorie days twice a week, one high fat and one high carb and this keeps me getting stronger while staying in a caloric deficit. I also need to keep the weights down in training and do lots of low rep sets. I also find doing exercises you haven't done in a while helps, as you're getting mainly neurological adaptations

Basically you need to accept that this will take a lot of trial and error until you find your sweet spot. I'd start off one 1g/lb in fats and 2g/lb in protein and making adjustments from there. For an 80kg male at 15% this would be 150g in fats and 300g of protein, roughly 2500kcal a day I think. This is for a very active person that trains every day though.

You'll find that either protein or fats will fill you up more also, as well as different foods filling you up more. Yesterday I had my keto cheat meal and ate 2kg of sausages (a 24 pack) in 3 hours. I was so full I didn't even feel hungry today so just drank shakes all day. Feeling a little hungry now, so I'll have maybe 500g of kangaroo with some veg later in the evening. I find this "intermittent eating" works well for me, waving the calories through the week keeps my energy very high.

Also on lower calorie days, you'll want to spread the meals out as the body will absorb the nutrients better. When you want a cheat meal, restrict it to 2-3 hours and the body won't absorb all of it, especially if it's high in fats. Obviously eating a tub of ice cream isn't the best thing to do here as that will sit in your small intestine until it's all absorbed lol. But the same amount of carbs in say, potato, will pass through before it's all absorbed.

On that note, I recommend a carb up once a week after the first 3 weeks if you wish to support heavy training. I tried to go full keto but found that only worked if calories remained very high. When calories dropped I needed glycogen replenishment for sure

Yeah that's what I'm after. As I've just started a week or so ago I've been trying for around 40/40/20 p, f, c and have been managing that pretty well. Though I think 20% carb is still too high for keto

Need to do more like 60F 35P 5C - what your currently doing isn't keto

Thanks for the replies, very informative and easy to understand, taking baby steps atm trying to find what works and what doesn't. My wife is Italian and loves to cook so lots of pastas here but slowly finding ways around it, cooking bulk chicken and meats for myself. I looked at some of my older food diaries and some them are upto 70% carbs...

Keep carbs under 30g
Basically, incidental carbs from vegetables and shakes only