• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Karate

Where do you do Karate?
What's your dojo?

I think the question should be why are you doing Karate. MMA fighters slaughter traditional martial artists. Been there done that!

[MENTION=16241]Headley[/MENTION]; which style are you doing?

I think the question should be why are you doing Karate. MMA fighters slaughter traditional martial artists. Been there done that!

[MENTION=16241]Headley[/MENTION]; which style are you doing?
My father in law owns a Karate studio.
You play with weapons in Karate.

@Headley ; which style are you doing?

It is actually a Korean derivative called Tang Soo Do. It's been described as Korea's national Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do being their National Sport).

It is a combination of shotokan karate, subak, taekkyon, and kung fu. Mostly Shotokan though. It is very much a traditional Martial Arts, getting a Black Belt ranking can take about 8 years or so.

I practiced Shito-Ryu Kai in Tassie for many years but stopped for a decade. Tang Soo Do is easy for me to pick up again. If a Shoto-Kan derivative was here in Mackay i would be doing that lol

I love doing it because as a traditional Martial Arts it really pushes the body... muscle strength, reflexes/quickness and endurance are all important. So i am using it as a tool to help me get into shape more.

I grew up doing karate as a kid, had a black belt at 11, when I went to mma the kicking and movement from karate really paid off, but took me a good 12 month to shake a lot of the bad habits like the stance and punching from the hips ect, still a fun sport,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is actually a Korean derivative called Tang Soo Do. It's been described as Korea's national Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do being their National Sport).

It is a combination of shotokan karate, subak, taekkyon, and kung fu. Mostly Shotokan though. It is very much a traditional Martial Arts, getting a Black Belt ranking can take about 8 years or so.

I practiced Shito-Ryu Kai in Tassie for many years but stopped for a decade. Tang Soo Do is easy for me to pick up again. If a Shoto-Kan derivative was here in Mackay i would be doing that lol

I love doing it because as a traditional Martial Arts it really pushes the body... muscle strength, reflexes/quickness and endurance are all important. So i am using it as a tool to help me get into shape more.

yeah, those are all very well known styles. Back in the day Tang Soo do was well regarded. Shotokan was one of the biggest worldwide if not the biggest, prolly bigger than Kyokushin.

Problem you might have doing MMA now is they push Crossfit lol.

Urgh lol

I also did some Ju Jitsu and wrestling for a while too, if i kept doing them it would have been... interesting :)

Urgh lol

I also did some Ju Jitsu and wrestling for a while too, if i kept doing them it would have been... interesting :)

OK, see you know what your doing. Got the stand up as a base, then doing Jiu Jitsu and wrestling.

My first martial art was Jiu Jitsu.

Yeah they all did combine surprisingly well... great stances from Karate, some arm/body locks from Ju Jitsu and disabling/finishing moves with wrestling.

I did a lot of physical activities when i was younger, i would have kept doing them if i hadn't moved away too

Yeah they all did combine surprisingly well... great stances from Karate, some arm/body locks from Ju Jitsu and disabling/finishing moves with wrestling.

I did a lot of physical activities when i was younger, i would have kept doing them if i hadn't moved away too

you should look at Lyoto Machida. He started with Shotokan then added in Jiu Jitsu and wrestling, became world champ for a brief period.

Did TKD and its derivatives for about 20 years. It got weird when the founder of our system changed it for the third time to reflect his Chinese origins and everyone started wearing yellow dobok and moved to strictly no-contact sparring which is gay.

Also did about two years of freestyle wrestling as a teen, had about a year training in the pre-cursor to MMA (shoot wrestling). Tried boxing for a few months but worked out that I don't like getting hit for some reason and my nose always bleeds like a stuck pig when I cop one. Too messy.

This is a about 30 years ago when I was 15, weighing about 65kg soaking wet, benching 100kg and running at least 5km per day. This is why my legs suck.

Last edited: