• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jim Morris 77-Year-Old Vegan Bodybuilder Interview

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member

Jim Morris has been bodybuilding for over fifty years and has been vegan since 1999. He has won many bodybuilding awards, and still trains to this day. Born in 1935, he started weight training in the 50s.
A post on his blog provided a succinct view on how to eat in a healthy manner: “If I were building a residence where I planned to live the rest of my life, I would use the finest quality materials available to me. Because I am going to spend the rest of my life in my body, I’m using the finest quality materials available to me, unprocessed, unrefined, whole natural vegetables, beans, grains, fruits and nuts.”
Below is an interview with Mr. Morris.

1. How long have you been following a plant-based diet?

I became a vegetarian in 1985 when I retired from physique competition and a vegan in 1999.
2. What are your favorite foods?
Beans, grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables. All equally.
3. Are you able to find your foods at restaurants and which do you prefer when eating out?
I do not eat out.
4. What are your top sources of protein?
I do not think in terms of protein, carbs or fats.
5. Same question for iron?
I do not think in terms of specific minerals or vitamins.
6. What are some of your top sources of food information, such as websites?

Wikipedia
7. Do you take your own food with you when you travel, or identify places to eat online before you travel?
If I travel by car I pack enough for the drive. If by plane I do not eat en route. I only travel to visit friends or relatives, so I eat at their homes.
8. When people find out you have a plant-based diet, do you find it easy to converse with them?
I rarely get into conversations with them about my diet beyond the fact that I am a vegan.
9. You are a bodybuilder. What must you do to build muscle and stay lean, in relation to your diet?
Listen to your body and eat from the five food groups above. Eat only when you are hungry and only what you have an appetite for. Do not think in terms of carbs, fats, or proteins, do not count, weigh or measure anything and eliminate all processed and refined foods from your diet.
Here is a long video interview with Jim. The subject matter is more about his biography. He says his approach is not just bodybuilding, but a way of life. Control of what he wants he says is part of how he chooses certain foods. For example, he says he gets sugar too, but from fruits and vegetables not from refined sugar in ice cream. This interview with Morris was conducted when he was 75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKMB2WNoIIk

Great message, particularly for the senior 40 and over.

I've stated before that we have become too fixated on "protien" we do need protien but we only get the right amounts with combinations of meat, legumes and grains and proper food preparation

And for the over forties, more often than not, is wise to stay a little hungry.

His experience and diet is very interesting.

My dad went vego then vegan a few years ago at the age of 52 and his reaped all the benefits. No more high blood pressure, no more meds.

But then again i always say, When people like my dad used to eat meat it was fried food, Salamis and other processed meats.

Ofcourse you will be better off on a vegan diet then...

Still, i might do it one day and see

A little tip, something that I've always done through my adult life, always leave some food on the plate.

What a boring life, seriously...each to their own, but ice cream is a food group and should never be left out.