• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Powerlifting a Team Sport?

Is powerlifting a team sport?

• Total voters
I dont neccessarily think thats true i just wanted to disagree with bazza to fire him up. Thats one angry little man.

Cars would only be a sport if you had to push them. The term 'sport' gets used for a lot of stuff that isn't sport because we don't have an appropriate term for it.

Powerlifting is a sport by my definition but definitely an individual one.

The involvement of a preparation/support team does not make an individual sport into a team sport. Is the guy holding the cup out for a marathon runner entitled to say that he is part of a marathon team?

[MENTION=9034]kaz[/MENTION];

Did you miss my question?

The website has been down for 8hrs. Did you miss that?
I ignored your attempt to bait me into an argument.
Why do any threads get started?
Perhaps to create discussion and not for personal attacks or antagonism.

The website has been down for 8hrs. Did you miss that?
I ignored your attempt to bait me into an argument.
Why do any threads get started?
Perhaps to create discussion and not for personal attacks or antagonism.

You are a piece of work Kaz, I was genuinely interested in your thoughts, parra noida thoughts at that.

All the best.

You are a piece of work Kaz, I was genuinely interested in your thoughts, parra noida thoughts at that.
It was a bait. Otherwise you wouldn't have quoted Chum's post above mine.

It was a question asked and answered civilly on a facebook thread.

Noo, I'm just an old bastard, that cannot use the computer, very well.

Never mind, carry-on.

Actually, I've got better things to do than to bait some person over the net, just settle down and enjoy yourself.

Where is the "it's both" button?

When you compete in a local or national competition, its an individual sport.

When you compete in an international competition, it's a team sport.

The IPF (you know, real powerlifting) rules are primarily tilted towards teams competing, not individuals.

In IPF sanctioned competitions (you know, real competitions where people have to squat to depth, pause their bench with feet flat on the floor and lock out deadlfits) you will get all of the individual results plus team results.

So its both.

Especially raw lifting coz equipped is for pussy fake lifters who need a rubber band to complete a lift.

Trolling done. My life has meaning.

Just to add my 2 cents. If you want to determine if it's a team or individual sport look at the podium. If there is only space for one then it's not a team sport regardless of how many work to get that person there.

In saying that, just cause powerlifting is an individual sport doesn't mean people don't work in teams to achieve there success. Take any of the Olympic teams. People in common sports work together to improve performance but in most events it is only the individual on the podium at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add my 2 cents. If you want to determine if it's a team or individual sport look at the podium. If there is only space for one then it's not a team sport regardless of how many work to get that person there.

In saying that, just cause powerlifting is an individual sport doesn't mean people don't work in teams to achieve there success. Take any of the Olympic teams. People in common sports work together to improve performance but in most events it is only the individual on the podium at the end of the day.

But thats not the criteria for a team sport, motor sport is considered a team sport even though there is one guy who stands on top of the podium.

If powerlifting is a team sport so is every other individual sport. It would mean there is no such thing as an individual sport.

Chum, motor sports is an interesting one. There is a fair case to say that motorsports are not a true sport given it's often more about the equipment over the competitors. But even so you look at motogp. You don't hear about how team honda repsol won the race, it's "Casey stoner wins at Phillip Island"

This is not to say that you can compete without a team to manage the bike but in a team sport it's the team that claims the win

lol...this thread made me giggle....
No...powerlifting is not a team sport. How the fuck did anyone come to this conclusion?
Every individual competitor has support, Golf with caddy's etc...
You only have to look at world rankings:
Tennis, golf etc have individual names...
Rugby, cricket etc- have team names...

Powerlifting of course is a single man sport, we all know this, that's obvious. So technically its not a team sport....

BUT

That lifter a lot of the time didn't get there training alone... they train in teams. I experience this first hand at PTC. The culture of a good team around you can foster success and breed that attitude and hunger to get stronger and to win.

For those that haven't really trained AND COMPETED with a team, you won't understand.

Powerlifting of course is a single man sport, we all know this, that's obvious. So technically its not a team sport....

BUT

That lifter a lot of the time didn't get there training alone... they train in teams. I experience this first hand at PTC. The culture of a good team around you can foster success and breed that attitude and hunger to get stronger and to win.

For those that haven't really trained AND COMPETED with a team, you won't understand.
Danimal, NO competitor individual or not gets there on their own which is not what the OP was asking