• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Powerlifting a Team Sport?

Is powerlifting a team sport?

• Total voters
Would a coach be classified as part of the team in football? They also get the same prize at the end of the day even though they didn't play.

Seriously where is the confusion. One person competing = individual sport. People backslapping in the background don't count.

Is singles tennis a team sport?
I mean you've got two players on the court, the linesmen, the ball boys, the umpire, the coach watching, the crowd cheering you on, the Physio in the wings, the fans watching on TV...

But Silverbacks's question is more to the point, is Powerlifting even a sport?

Yes, powerlifting is a sport.

It is probably the main sport for demonstrating absolute strength through the focus on a barbell.

A sport is any competition where participants agree to test themselves in accordance to defined rules.

So chess, and even bodybuilding and other artistic sports, also qualify as sports.

I think silverback, great contributor as he is, is just winding a few up.

Good question.

You can be fat as a house, so unfit you can hardly breathe walking, move a bar a few inches, even then a suit or wraps are doing most of the work. Total lifting time for the day is probably less than a minute.

I'll go with no.

Yes, powerlifting is a sport.

It is probably the main sport for demonstrating absolute strength through the focus on a barbell.

A sport is any competition where participants agree to test themselves in accordance to defined rules.

So chess, and even bodybuilding and other artistic sports, also qualify as sports.

I think silverback, great contributor as he is, is just winding a few up.

Chess is a board game.

Bodybuilding is a beauty pageant.

Both are not sports.

After having competed on stage in bodybuilding I would have to say it isn't a sport

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Well,I had to ask the question, because I asked myself.
So sort of TIC.

I think some sports are attractive to watch, some sports require more skill than others.

Cricket is more enjoyable to play or participate in, than to watch.
Just my opinion.

In fact most sports for me are a challenge to watch, these days.

You see, to me it is dark.

Although it's shithouse to watch and as boring as bat shit.
High skill level
No athletic ability required

I don't know Silverback, a sport would suggest that it involves physical exertion, athletic ability or skill.

I don't know Silverback, a sport would suggest that it involves physical exertion, athletic ability or skill.

Yeah?
"I compete in the sport of chessplaying"

That reads right doesn't it?

But, some sports are 99% physical and 1% grey matter used.

You can see how either can be appreciated as being a sport?

I don't really know or care just an interesting topic.

ok, I will replace word 'sport' with 'competition'.

But I have provided this to help the new debate. Whatever you decide, i think it is safe to conclude that powerlifting is a sport. Sorry guys, I will go with IOC rather than some of your views.

Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.
Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the amount of mind games which can be admitted as sports.[1]

Last edited:
Powerlifting is individual sport/competition/lift.
You may train with a group/team/gang/crew of powerlifters
You may have a team/group/crew of powerlifters cheering you on and handling you on the day... This makes it a team effort to prepare the individual to do the lift.

Powerlifting doubles?
maxresdefault.jpg

Is singles tennis a team sport?
I mean you've got two players on the court, the linesmen, the ball boys, the umpire, the coach watching, the crowd cheering you on, the Physio in the wings, the fans watching on TV...

Is Davis Cup a team sport?