• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is my routine any good ?

Tregs

Hi all ive just started on the weights and I'm really enjoying it but I'm not sure about my routine so I hope u guys can sort me out.
I'm limited to what I can do as ive had a full knee reco 6 months ago. My knee is still very weak and gives out every now and then but is getting better and pretty much pain free.
Thanx for any advice looking forward to hearing what you guys think .

Upper body all 3 sets of 8
1. Spin bike 10 min
2. Db chest press 32.5 kg
3. db pec fly 25 kg
4. Tricep ext 75 kg
5. Db shoulder press 22.5 kg
6. Db rear row. 22.5 kg
7. Low row. 75 kg
8. Db bicep curl 15 kg

Legs all 2 sets of 15
1. fit ball squat
2. sl leg press. 6 plates
3. sl leg curls. 6 plates
4. T band knee straighten
5. Spin bike. 10 min

Abs as many as I can
1. Mb crunch
2. Mb side touch
3. Ab cycle

I try to go every second day but with working night shift some times there's a 3 day gap Thanx again guys . Tregs

Last edited:
Sounds like a routine i did for a few years and got no where, then some guys slapped me in the face and told me to fuckin wake up to myself.

With the beginners program I won't be able to do the squats or dead lifts as I just don't have the strength in my leg I struggle to do fit ball squats I still get a bit of pain when I do them so what other options is there ?

With the beginners program I won't be able to do the squats...
My first ever squat, (proper squat that is) was mastering the broom stick whilst maintaining proper squatting posture! From there I progressed to a bodybuilding bar which weighs about 5-10kg less than an Olympic weightlifting bar, and from there to a proper and empty 20kg weightlifting bar, then began to add weights as time went by. It’s a slow process for some but all can master it given some time, patience, and discipline.
I still get a bit of pain when I do them so what other options is there
Leg press machine and/or what advice you've been given by Shrek.

Fadi.

I dont like fitball squats as much as i dont like smith machine squats or leg extensions. As far as i see it you have 3 Options - do full rom assisted squats (so holding onto a power rack using your arms to help you). Box squats starting high and slowly increasing rom as the knee gets better or partial squats slowly increasing rom as per box squats. As for deadlifting - if stiff leg/romanian style is no good you can do back hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions or even fit ball leg curls. Really your just after a posterior chain exercise. Which one is largely irrelevant

deadlifts do more than just the posterior chain dont they? after deadlifts, everything is sore from traps to hamstrings.

They do, but the PL style, when done properly, is basically a partial squat with a half shrug at the top. For a lot of people it ends up being primarily a lower back exercise as opposed to a leg/hamstring dominant exercise. When I do deadlifts I pretty much only ever feel it the next day in my quads and back (very occasionally glutes). Squats tend to be quad dominant and work the muscle through a greater ROM than deads from the floor (plus you cant 'çheat' and use your back as much to muscle the weight up), and the rows hit the trapezius (again, through a greater ROM than deads depending on exactly how you do them). The P.C. exercise is there to keep muscle balance in the legs by ensuring that the hamstrings, glutes, lower back are all hit as much as the quads. The alternatives I mentioned are all heavily hamstring dominant with the lower back and glutes also being used, but with no quad and little trapezius use (the only difference from PL deadlifts).
Markos' beginner program calls for stiffies/romanians over the PL style as well.
PLUS doing some form of posterior extension exercise is better than none at all

*edit*
here is someone describing it a bit better than me lol
Squat and deadlift are mechanically the same exercise as far as your legs are concerned (Subject to foot position.) The only differencea are 1) your hands on DL have to clamp the weight to stop it falling to the floor (refer Max's vid for No Hand Squat) and 2) DL has shoulder joint in tension instead of (a weird form of) compression (So your shoulder line on DL is hogged instead of receiving a uniformly distributed load.)

That is why the SLDL is so important for beginners. It switches load to the Hammies and works them out like nothing else. If you stick to Squats and DLs you can choose to keep your feet in a position that is quad dominant, so you miss out on hammy goodness.

Last edited:
Ive noticed lately that Ive started feeling DL's higher in my back (maybe where lats attach) whereas I used to feel like my lower back was about to give out. I don't think Im rounding my back, if anything I'm leaning back more and dragging the bar across my knees. Definitely using heaps of hammies too.

It feels good :)