• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it to much?

RMate

Hey guys, new to the whole forums thing but after 2-3 months I
Thought I would sign up to one and increase my knowledge about
Anything anyone has to offer

I currently go to the gym 5 times a week, (Friday Saturday off as I work
Long night hours both night)

But after reading through a fair few posts I have found
I'm doing ALLOT of sets compared to most people.
In the last few months I have lost a fair bit of weight and toned up a bit
(Currently 6"3 115kg)

My question is should I scrap what I have been doing and start a simpler routine? As I currently spend between 1.30-2hours in the gym a night.

If it makes a difference I can post up my whole current workout

Thanks in advance guys

I would be thinking that is too long to be spending in the gym all the time ans almost certainly you cut the time in half and double the ntensitymof your workouts to perhaps get bigger results.

Are you trying to cut or put on size and muscle?

Yeah it is allot of reps. That's what my question is about I have been told so many different
Things, just trying to understand everything better.

For example chest/triceps I'm hitting 8 reps 5 sets of 8-13 machine/exercises.

And I would like to lose some fat but at the same time I want to gain muscle

Wow that's a massive amount of volume, I would think you could increase the weight and intensity and cut the exercises in half or even quarters.:eek:

Hey guys, new to the whole forums thing but after 2-3 months I
Thought I would sign up to one and increase my knowledge about
Anything anyone has to offer

I currently go to the gym 5 times a week, (Friday Saturday off as I work
Long night hours both night)

But after reading through a fair few posts I have found
I'm doing ALLOT of sets compared to most people.
In the last few months I have lost a fair bit of weight and toned up a bit
(Currently 6"3 115kg)

My question is should I scrap what I have been doing and start a simpler routine? As I currently spend between 1.30-2hours in the gym a night.

If it makes a difference I can post up my whole current workout

Thanks in advance guys

Let's have a look at it.

Chest + Biceps
Bench press
Incline dumbbell press
Decline dumbbell pres
Cable chest press
Preacher curls
Barbell curls
Dumbbell curl

Back + Triceps
ISO lat pull
DEADLIFTS
Lat pulldown
Seated row
Back cable pulldown
Hammer curls
Cable tri extension
V bar pulldown
Skull crushers

Legs+shoulders
Squats
Leg press
Leg curl
Leg ext
Calf leg press
Horizontal calf press
Dumbbell shrugs
Military press
Upright row
Shoulder press

There's a few things I don't know the name fore, so I just named them
What I do basically. Upper body I do 1 warmup set of a really light weight
Then 3-4 heavy sets
Legs I do the same but higher reps

It's really going to be difficult to tell, what is optimal "for you".

But the questions are.

Your age
Are you progressing?
Do you enjoy it?
Are you performing the exercises correctly?
What's your goal, short term?

I'm a get in "full-body", work brutal for 30 minute type, I go bull at a gate, or don't go.

But that works for me.

But I would imagine, that further down the road, as you start lifting heavy, you will need to get rid of the fluff and focus more on the multi joint exercises.

where are you at with your training? how long have you been training and what are your majors lifts at?

There's no point doing that many sets/reps and there's no point making your own routine if you don't have a base to work off. This is assuming you are still new to lifting? If so i'd look at some of the beginner routines posted on here and give them a go. Would be more beneficial in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Try two exercises on compound lifts, and then one isolation if your looking more towards a bodybuilding routine

E.g - 4sets of Flat Bench (1st set is warmup), 3sets of Incline Dumbbell Bench, then choose a single isolation exercise to finish with a nice pump (crossovers, flys, etc)

Leg could be
Squats 5x5, then Leg Press followed by extensions

Go heavy on the compound exercises to build the strength and go lighter with higher reps on the isolation exercises for a final pump.

On smaller muscle groups like triceps. I would only do something like Dips or Overhead extensions, then finish up with Rope Pull downs. Don't even need 3sets because the muscle isn't as large as something like a quad or pec.

Try two exercises on compound lifts, and then one isolation if your looking more towards a bodybuilding routine

E.g - 4sets of Flat Bench (1st set is warmup), 3sets of Incline Dumbbell Bench, then choose a single isolation exercise to finish with a nice pump (crossovers, flys, etc)

Leg could be
Squats 5x5, then Leg Press followed by extensions

Go heavy on the compound exercises to build the strength and go lighter with higher reps on the isolation exercises for a final pump.

On smaller muscle groups like triceps. I would only do something like Dips or Overhead extensions, then finish up with Rope Pull downs. Don't even need 3sets because the muscle isn't as large as something like a quad or pec.

Thanks heaps for the good advice, so if I was doing a typical split
Like chest-tris I should Do bench-incline dumbbell and then an isolation
Exercise and then do overhead ext and pulldown for 2 sets each?

I was under the impression "the more work in the gym the better blah blah"
So thanks for actually explaining a bit further

Just about every pro bodybuilder spends hours each day in the gym. Natural or not. They also spend most of their time dedicated to sleep, diet and posing. If you want to look like they do train like they do. Simple really

I'm not a pro bodybuilder, but the gym is a big passion of mine
I'm constantly improving on my diet, don't eat rubbish anymore
The gym to me is a getaway from allot of things that have gone on lately
That's the reason why I joined this forum and made a post.
I don't want to be doing things backwards when I could be improving so much more then I can be.

If you're training to look like a bodybuilder.. I honestly would just google "do this routine instead of that dumb one" and follow the routine on the first link you click on.

Otherwise, just use Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine (which can work for cutting).

Keep it simple.

Keep us posted mate.

Ignore the eunuchs, keep doing what you're doing if it's giving you the results you want.
Ignore everything regarding training that Lyle McDolan recommends, he looks like shit