• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it possible to go to deep with squats?

kindred

I go as deep as i can go as when im at the bottom it seems to aleviate pressure on my knees. But is it right to go deep?

I go as deep as i can go as when im at the bottom it seems to aleviate pressure on my knees. But is it right to go deep?

Too deep is relative to you and you can look at it this way: whenever your form begins to deteriorate at a certain point, then that is the "too deep" point to avoid. If you squat perfectly to parallel but for whatever reason lose form beyond that point, then working on form would take precedence over going a centimeter deeper than parallel until the issue is rectified.

I hope my answer made sense to you Kindred.

PS: The deeper you go, the more muscles get involved to bring you back up. As long as there are no quick descents and bouncing at the bottom; you'll be fine.

Fadi.

Going very deep is ok, just do not bounce out of the hole, i find a wider stance allows me to almost get calves on hams.
AZZA

Too deep is relative to you and you can look at it this way: whenever your form begins to deteriorate at a certain point, then that is the "too deep" point to avoid. If you squat perfectly to parallel but for whatever reason lose form beyond that point, then working on form would take precedence over going a centimeter deeper than parallel until the issue is rectified.

I hope my answer made sense to you Kindred.

PS: The deeper you go, the more muscles get involved to bring you back up. As long as there are no quick descents and bouncing at the bottom; you'll be fine.

Fadi.

How quick do you mean by quick? I always thought it was the coming back up that was the exercise. I dont bounce :)

According to the litrature I've read squatting deep (hip joint below knee cap) is the safest way to squat. Quarter squats and half squats involve alot more shearing forces on the knees. I go down as far as i can without lower back rounding. i reach a point where butt tucks in under me so i stop before that happens. i have inflexible hamstrings which cause that

Kindred, squatting down then coming up is key to the exercise. If you think about it, going down is easy, due to gravity, using the right muscles to prevent you from being stapled to the ground is important, so are the muscles elevating you.

Tony Harrison got it spot on. The only clients I limit the travel on is the ones who round the back at the bottom.

You will get away with this while squatting 100kg, its when you hit 180kg that it becomes an issue, ask Nick on here.

He has changed is action and is now back up to 210kg. His action is now spot on.

As long as there are no quick descents and bouncing at the bottom; you'll be fine.

^^^ This, and watch the lower back. If you find you're rounding your lower back, i.e. not maintaining the arch, don't go so low. I learned this one the hard way. :(

The best thing someone told me is to squat between your legs.

I think Dan Johns goblet squatting is the best aid for self teaching proper squat form.