• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Golf a sport?

wingman

Super M0derator
Is golf a sport?

And if it isn’t, does really matter? Would you train differently for a sport then you would a match or skill?

Everyone has a strong opinion on what is a sport and what is not, and this question has been asked for many years with persuasive arguments coming from both sides.

Lets start by defining what is a sport?

Webster’s dictionary defines a “sport” as, “An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.”

An in-depth list of requirements comes from an article posted on Yahoo which proposed a 1 through 6 criterion for defining a sport.

Using criteria that are evident in the upper echelon of athletic activities is one way to develop a tighter definition of what classifies as a sport. Here are those six criteria:

Criteria #1 A physical activity requiring athleticism
Criteria #2 A competitive athletic activity that directly pits athlete(s) against athlete(s)
Criteria #3 An objective directly correlates team efforts toward one and only one non-objective outcome (The point system is not left to objective vote or ruling).
Criteria #4 There is strategic offensive and defensive interaction between opponents
Criteria #5 Action involves a continuous clock, stopped only by infractions
Criteria #6 Fouls against the opponent are part of the action but governed by officiated rules
Criteria #7 Another way to determine what is a sport is to determine what isn’t

This method requires only one criterion: anything that can better is classified as a game, a match, an event, a fight, or a race is objectively not a sport. In order to be more subjective I will use the above criteria to divide the sports from the other activities. For the purposes of this article though, I will not define the other classifications, but rather for your curiosity I will still assign my classification for each other activity represented here.

Some Examples of athletic activities that qualify as a sport (In alphabetical order)

Baseball
Basketball
Football
Rugby
Soccer
Volleyball

Here are some examples of athletic activities, which may or may not involve an athlete, but would not qualify as a sport. In parentheses is one or more of the criteria not met to be a sport and then the assigned classification of that activity.

Bobsledding (4,6; Event)
Boxing (3; Fight)
Chess (1,2,3,6; Game)
Dancing (Perhaps all, 3,4,5,6; Event)
Field Events (4,6; Event)
Figure Skating (3,4,5,6; Event)
Foosball (1, possibly 3,4,5,6; Game)
Golf (1,3,4,6; Match)
Gymnastics (3,4,6; Meet/Match)
Pool (1,4,5,6; Game)
Racquetball (5, possibly 3; Match)
Swimming (4,6; Meet/Match)
Table Tennis (1, possibly 3,4,5,6; Game)
Tennis (Possibly 3,4,5,6; Match)
Track (Possibly 3,5,6; Race)
Wrestling (3; Match)

By Webster’s definition, golf is a sport as it does burn calories and involve doing something physical. But if going by the criteria listed on Yahoo, golf clearly is a match composed of skill and not a sport.

Whether golf is a sport or match does not take away from the fact that participants can benefit from being strong, better conditioned and more explosive. A solid strength and conditioning base can pay dividends usually reserved from sports played on the field, pitch or ice. Universally, increasing an athlete’s ability to generate force will aid in driving the ball farther as it would decrease a 40 yard sprint time. Creating a strong base and correct posture by placing a heavy barbell on your back during squatting will result in an improved ability to hit the ball as it would to hitting an opponent.

While simple and probably wrong, my cut off for sport and non-sport comes with age and sobriety. Young fit individuals play sports. And if you can improve your ability by consuming alcohol it probably is not a sport. You don’t see 60-year-old accountants in goofy pants padded up playing football on Sundays. If a group of old out of shape men can get together, drink a 12 pack of beer, and play golf, then you have a hard time convincing me it is a sport.

As Happy Gilmore remarked, “The only thing you need to be good at golf is goofy pants and a fat ass.”

Is bodybuilding a sport ?

Brb just going to hide before the shitstorm.

Golf maybe not a sport by definition but bloody hard to do well, there is some skill there without doubt.

Is bodybuilding a sport ?

Brb just going to hide before the shitstorm.

Golf maybe not a sport by definition but bloody hard to do well, there is some skill there without doubt.

Bodybuilding isn't a sport, it's a beauty pageant.

And as for skill, could say the same for chess.

i ask the same about fishing/hunting, they class them as sport , but really what skill is involved

Don't be talking shit on golf, that's all KungFooGoo is good at. Sinking putts and banging sluts, all day baby. Except l can't put for shit....

It's not really a sport though, it's basically just an interupted walk. You carry something that weighs 10kg's on your back for 6km with a lot of little breaks in between.

Bodybuilding isn't a sport, it's a beauty pageant.

And as for skill, could say the same for chess.

Fuarrrk you know this is fuarkinnnnn body building forum.

It is an interesting question you pose wingman.

For the record I hate golf frustrates the Piss out of me. It's just pool with more walking and no bar maids.

While simple and probably wrong, my cut off for sport and non-sport comes with age and sobriety. Young fit individuals play sports. And if you can improve your ability by consuming alcohol it probably is not a sport. You don’t see 60-year-old accountants in goofy pants padded up playing football on Sundays. If a group of old out of shape men can get together, drink a 12 pack of beer, and play golf, then you have a hard time convincing me it is a sport.

Weak argument.

Yes, you can say the same about chess. It is also a sport.

Basically, you seem to have listed 'sports that require something other than strength as their main core are not sports.'

Seriously, swimming is not a sport now? Tennis is not a sport? Hah. Ok.

I will say firstly, that I love golf :)
Watch Tiger's or Segio's golf swing in super slow mo and tell me there is no power and explosiveness in the game. The body is put through huge mechanical stress and flexibility, wrist strength and leg/hip drive plays a huge part. The guys making it on tour are getting younger and fitter, hitting it longer and longer every year...there are also more and more injuries, back, shoulders, knee ACL's...

Golf is a game not a sport
And competitive bodybuilding most definitely is not a beauty pageant, most of them are a collection of the ugliest fuckers you'll ever see, if a gorilla was allowed to compete it would win hands down.

Describe the difference, then how does your definition relate to Golf.

I'll get the popcorn ready.

Already did using the criteria in the OP. Feel free to provide an alternative criteria that works.

That doesn't mean the game is any more or less enjoyable.