• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

invitation to participate in online-survey about weight training/lifting

lizette

I am conducting a research project for my PhD (School of Health and Human Sciences, Southern Cross University) that aims to understand the relationships between body image, muscularity concerns, weightlifting habits, and eating habits in adult men.

You are invited to participate in this study if you are an adult male who is living in Australia and currently taking part in weight training at least three times a week. It is also necessary that you have the ability to read and speak English. The study involves an on-line survey which should take you about 15 minutes to complete. All information will be treated in a confidential manner, and the survey is anonymous.

If you wish to participate in this study please follow the link below to the on-line survey. If you choose to continue, further information about the study will be provided on the initial page of the survey.

If you do consent to participate in this study, please click on the link below:
https://scuau.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3jTgsiJnjiMhCg4

Thank you for taking the time to consider this study.

The study is being conducted by Johanna Nieuwoudt, PhD candidate, under the supervision of Prof Shi Zhou, Dr. Rosanne Coutts, and Mr. Ray Booker. The study has been approved by the Human Research Ethics Committee at Southern Cross University. The approval number is ECN-12-169.

Johanna Nieuwoudt
Principal Researcher
Office phone: (02) 66269501 ; Email: johanna.nieuwoudt@scu.edu.au

Researcher/Supervisor: Prof. Shi Zhou, Tel02) 6620 3991; Email: shi.zhou@scu.edu.au
Researcher/Supervisor: Dr Rosanne Coutts, Tel: (02) 6620 3235 ; Email: rosanne.coutts@scu.edu.au
Researcher/Supervisor: Mr Ray Booker, Tel: (02) 6620 3760 ; Email: ray.booker@scu.edu.au

Be wary lads I would be very suprised if her phd wasn't skewed to give some sort of negative image of weightlifters like we are all self obsessed or have body image issues or something like that.

How about a bit more info lizette what is the topic of this thesis for which you would like us to take the survey? If your intentions are good I apologise on advance.

What you've said is true for bodybuilders imo brick.

Yeah but I bet her focus is entirely in the negative. Studies like that is how we end up with this negative media when shows like project do hard hitting 'exposes' on male body image. Its not the image of our lifestyle any of us want to play a part in perpetuating.

Apology accepted Brick. The aims of my PhD are really to understand the relationships between body image, muscularity concerns, weightlifting habits, and eating habits of adult men in Australia who are engaged in weight training. I'm investigating links between body image, muscularity concerns, weightlifting habits, and eating habits as reported by previous studies in USA. I am not implying that there are any links. My personal opinions are actually skewed towards a positive image of weightlifters, but my PhD is not skewed, just pure research based on quantitative data.

Care to link us to some of these u.s studies you are reffering to. Might help us make an informed decision regarding your survey and thesis.

Last edited:
Survey looks like it should be directed at women who wear tights to the gym, do all the circuit machines or are cardio bunnies (no offense to the girls who actually lift here)

Very interested to see what the outcome will look like.
Some of the questions as they were written were very one-eyed, but i spose you need black and white answers to define where ppl stand.

21853918.jpg