• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Investment

mojo

Do you guys think its worthwhile purchasing a premium barbell if it wont see weights beyond 150kg.

Why don't you think you will see weights beyond 150?

My wife is aiming for a 150 deadlift by mid next year, she is 57kg.

I would invest in a premium barbell even if I was weak because it represents an important part of who I am. My Texas power bar is one of my most cherished possessions because it reminds me of who I am now. And besides, you can always sell a second hand quality barbell much easier than some piece of shit no knows anything about.

Go for what your budget allows , if you avoid to go for a premium barbell go for it

I would advise to get the best you budget can afford but also think o fthe resale value as well, as stated would be much easier to sell something that people know something about then a no name brand barbell. PLus you get the enjoyment on using quality barbell in the time you are using it which is always a benefit.

I would advise to get the best you budget can afford but also think o fthe resale value as well, as stated would be much easier to sell something that people know something about then a no name brand barbell. PLus you get the enjoyment on using quality barbell in the time you are using it which is always a benefit.

lifting for life, why sell barbells =p

A good bar is for life, there is a good chance you will want to pull more than 150 one day. I'd suggest get the best you can afford. It's the only one you will ever own so make sure your happy with it now and in 20 years.

Having said that, that's my motto for pretty much anything :p

Depends if you can afford it, I personally can't see the point in it unless you are competing, but some people like the ownership experience of something a bit special.

I use a $50 bar purchased recently for most of my lifting and it's fine, have had some of my home made bars for over 20 years and they are still fine.

I personally can't see how my muscles will tell the difference, it's not about fancy equipment it's about effort and persistence. Pick up heavy shit and lift it, no need to get complicated.

Depends if you can afford it, I personally can't see the point in it unless you are competing, but some people like the ownership experience of something a bit special.

I use a $50 bar purchased recently for most of my lifting and it's fine, have had some of my home made bars for over 20 years and they are still fine.

I personally can't see how my muscles will tell the difference, it's not about fancy equipment it's about effort and persistence. Pick up heavy shit and lift it, no need to get complicated.

Its nothing to do with ownership or having something special or any crap like that, for me anyway.

I don't compete but I like getting stronger and I don't trust a shitty cheap bar to be squatting over 200, deads and rack pulling near or over 300kg. Its about saftey and using something that is actually designed for the job.

No I don't think you should (if you're adamant about not going over 150kg)

If you get serious, yes. If you want to drop it from height. Yes.

I would still go for an olympic barbell though. My $170 barbell saw weights of 200kg no worries.

Its nothing to do with ownership or having something special or any crap like that, for me anyway.

I don't compete but I like getting stronger and I don't trust a shitty cheap bar to be squatting over 200, deads and rack pulling near or over 300kg. Its about saftey and using something that is actually designed for the job.

With those weights I would consider upgrading, but with my weights my bars are fine, once I squat 200 I too would upgrade, but personally I think that will never happen for me, due to injuries from my past, I am more that happy with where I got as it is.

If the op recons the most he will ever lift is 150kg then I cold see no point in buying an expensive bar for quite some time, and my $50 bar is 28mm and rated to 250kg, handles 180kg deads with ease, and will handle 200plus deads, I squat my 150kg with a 20 year old home made bar, and I am sure it will go well past 180kg with no issues for safety what so ever.

With those weights I would consider upgrading, but with my weights my bars are fine, once I squat 200 I too would upgrade, but personally I think that will never happen for me, due to injuries from my past, I am more that happy with where I got as it is.

If the op recons the most he will ever lift is 150kg then I cold see no point in buying an expensive bar for quite some time, and my $50 bar is 28mm and rated to 250kg, handles 180kg deads with ease, and will handle 200plus deads, I squat my 150kg with a 20 year old home made bar, and I am sure it will go well past 180kg with no issues for safety what so ever.

When most of us start out we don't think we will be lifting over 150kg. My theory now is buy quality and buy once, just wish I knew that when I first started getting my home gym stuff and I wouldn't have had to be replacing all my shit.

Makes sense for you, as you have stuck with it and are quite serious about your training with some quite impressive lifts, but there are lots of people that never attain your level, and I bet probably 99.999 percent of all people who have ever picked up a weight and started training will never get anywhere near strong enough to NEED a $500 plus barbell.

I remember benching 80kg and thinking it was impressive, and I remember dreaming of a 100kg squat, I have well surpassed these lifts now, and probably use those weights to warm up now, so I can see your point to anticipating getting stronger, but in comparison a $50 bar will keep a beginner going for a long time and represents good value for money.

So it really depends on the individual, I am a firm believer in buying gym gear second hand off ebay, as it is cheap and often well priced, and can be sold on at a good price once you are done with it.

I like the feel of good quality iron in my hands

^^^ This. No other bar I've used compares to my Texas Powerbar.
I used a cheap bar that come with my Powertec package, it lasted while I was a beginner but it did slightly bend at some point then I got railroaded by a squat and it is now completely bent and unusable... I then bought a Garage Gym G2S barbell and it was bent within a week. I then forked out for a Texas and in my opinion it will last the rest of my lifting life., money well spent in my eyes.
Buy once, buy quality and never look back.