• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intra Workout Drink

Jim_Junkie

Will an intra workout drink actually help recovery? I was thinking of maybe mixing water + fast carb + BCAA's, how does that sound? :rolleyes:

Also is it okay to jack up your insulin around workout time? Or should insulin be backed off until you've finished your workout

I don't use carbs. Aminos are free form and rapidly digested anyhow. I want to avoid insulin spike.

Will an intra workout drink actually help recovery? I was thinking of maybe mixing water + fast carb + BCAA's, how does that sound? :rolleyes:

Also is it okay to jack up your insulin around workout time? Or should insulin be backed off until you've finished your workout

Xtend Xtend Xtend

I just drink bulk amounts of EAA's. Especially during workouts. I feel I perform a bit better for it, and reduces any catabolic effects of training thats going to reduce muscle mass. You have plenty of carbs in you anyway. I don't see the real need for fast carbs while your training.

Intra workout shakes are kind of pointless if you have a solid pre workout meal.

Excellent.

I'll add that a pre workout meal would be pointless if you ate poorly throughout the week.

I know some bloke who sip a mix of Whey and Gatorade I tried it almost made me vomit, although I did like the taste, not my vomit.

EAA's with gatorade. Grape. MM not too bad. But I've only done it on days where I was really run down.

I have:

5g BCAA/EAA
5g Glutamine
5g Luecine
3g Ascorbic Acid

in like 500ml water. Just sip on that throughout training.

Straight after training i knock down 30g wpi and 5g creatine in 200ml water.

I have:

5g BCAA/EAA
5g Glutamine
5g Luecine
3g Ascorbic Acid

in like 500ml water. Just sip on that throughout training.

Straight after training i knock down 30g wpi and 5g creatine in 200ml water.

I bolded everything that was a waste of money for you jim :D

I bolded everything that was a waste of money for you jim :D

But they feed luecine to cows and look how big they are!!!

happycowlarge.jpg

I seen one of Australia's best female powerlifters drinking crownies between lifts...could be onto something...

lol who keeps digging up all these threads :D

I'm not too fussed about intra's anymore I just go for something like xtend, then add more things in if I want. thanks for the feedback

But they feed luecine to cows and look how big they are!!!

happycowlarge.jpg

Alan Aragon said:
BCAA's
Research Summary: BCAA's ability to prevent immunosuppression in endurance athletes has been fairly consistent. However, the data indicating BCAA's ability to prevent muscle catabolism in non-acute trials is scarce. The following study showed positive results that I'd like to see replicated: Mourier and colleagues ecamined the effect of BCAA on the body composition and exercise performance in 25 elite wrestlers. The 19 day study compared 3 hypocaloric diets: a high protein, low protein and high BCAA diet. The latter diet was superior to the others for weight and fat loss. Contrary to what their basic physiological role might lead us to assume, BCAA has failed at showing benefit as an exercise performance enhancer across various treatment protocols (oral, infusion, with/without carbohydrate). In a recent 10 week trial, Kerksick's team observed a whey/casein blend to be superior over BCAA/whey/glutamine mix for improving strength and body composition. This trial needed better control of energy balance, but it still points to the possibility of isolated BCAA receiving undue hype. Additional BCAA supplementation on top of a pre-existing high protein intake is likely unnecessary, since many common foods (dairy, meats, even peanuts) and animal-derived protein supplements already contain a high concentration of BCAA (whey contains roughly 25% BCAA).

Glutamine
Research Summary: Glutamine may also play a role in improving immune response and promoting glycogen storage. However, these possibilities have been challenged recently by studies demonstrating that glatamine was not the link to immune response, nor did it promote muscle glycogen storage better than wheat hydrolysate or whey hydrolysate. Glutamine does not appear to be effective for muscle or strength gain in healthy subjects beyond placebo under eucaloric or hypercaloric donditions. Rosene and colleagues observed glutamine's ability to maintain nitrogen balance under hypocaloric conditions. However, these results were not replicated in a more recent well controlled trial by Finn's team, where high-dose glutamine (0.35/kg) was ineffective at preserving lean mass during hypocaloric conditions.

On a second read Leucine doesn't seem like complete bs. Keep taking.

On a second read Leucine doesn't seem like complete bs. Keep taking.

Glutamine
Research Summary: Glutamine may also play a role in improving immune response and promoting glycogen storage. However, these possibilities have been challenged recently by studies demonstrating that glatamine was not the link to immune response, nor did it promote muscle glycogen storage better than wheat hydrolysate or whey hydrolysate. Glutamine does not appear to be effective for muscle or strength gain in healthy subjects beyond placebo under eucaloric or hypercaloric donditions. Rosene and colleagues observed glutamine's ability to maintain nitrogen balance under hypocaloric conditions. However, these results were not replicated in a more recent well controlled trial by Finn's team, where high-dose glutamine (0.35/kg) was ineffective at preserving lean mass during hypocaloric conditions.

Not glutamine directly in the body working on the immune system.. But if you understand glutamines role in gut health and the guts role with the immune system it becomes pretty clear..

Not glutamine directly in the body working on the immune system.. But if you understand glutamines role in gut health and the guts role with the immune system it becomes pretty clear..

Rats can tell us so many things noobs.