• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intesity vs endurance

kindred

is intensity always better than endurance when talking cardio.

When would doing things slower but longer be of benefit?

is intensity always better than endurance when talking cardio.

When would doing things slower but longer be of benefit?

Generally speaking, you should train specific to your goal.

If, in the sporting environment, you are largely intermittent with your exercise; then a more intermittent style stress (interval training, for example), may be more suitable - allowing high intensities, in short bouts, with varying low intensity, active recovery periods.

Ideally, continuous endurance training is more appropriate for endurance events, where a recovery phase just isn't available, or is available in very limited supply.

Low-intensity steady state best fits people who are very deconditioned, sedentary for many years with a poor diet. It's not very demanding, but it's more than they were doing, so their body will adapt. As time goes on they can up the intensity.

Nico has the right of it. Depends on where the person is now and where they want to go.

One person I train is middle-aged, overfat, deconditioned. He just wants to look and feel better. If I gave him intervals he would just collapse, and probably injure himself. Pointless. So he does low intensity steady state training - is just generally physically more active, walks to the shops, etc. The sessions we have are for the weight training. He's achieving his goals.

Another one I train is a rower, who has two minute sprints at the end of each race. Another is a martial artist who has 1'30" rounds with 30" rest... 20 of them. Both of these need moderate-intensity, steady-state training, but they also need to be able to keep going when their limbs are heavy and burning from heavy efforts... so they get intervals, or rather Tabata (20" max reps, 10" rest, 8 sets of this). They're achieving their goals, too.

Figure out where you are. Decide where you want to go. Then people can tell you how to get here.

That's one of the many problems with the fitness industry, too many get focused on one brilliant route to places. "You should travel down the Monash freeway, it's awesome." Yeah, but what if I don't want to go where it's taking me? Stupid.

Low-intensity steady state best fits people who are very deconditioned, sedentary for many years with a poor diet. It's not very demanding, but it's more than they were doing, so their body will adapt. As time goes on they can up the intensity.

Nico has the right of it. Depends on where the person is now and where they want to go.

One person I train is middle-aged, overfat, deconditioned. He just wants to look and feel better. If I gave him intervals he would just collapse, and probably injure himself. Pointless. So he does low intensity steady state training - is just generally physically more active, walks to the shops, etc. The sessions we have are for the weight training. He's achieving his goals.

Another one I train is a rower, who has two minute sprints at the end of each race. Another is a martial artist who has 1'30" rounds with 30" rest... 20 of them. Both of these need moderate-intensity, steady-state training, but they also need to be able to keep going when their limbs are heavy and burning from heavy efforts... so they get intervals, or rather Tabata (20" max reps, 10" rest, 8 sets of this). They're achieving their goals, too.

Figure out where you are. Decide where you want to go. Then people can tell you how to get here.

That's one of the many problems with the fitness industry, too many get focused on one brilliant route to places. "You should travel down the Monash freeway, it's awesome." Yeah, but what if I don't want to go where it's taking me? Stupid.

That answers my question nicely thanks.