• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

info required

barnsey

hey guys
just after some info sorry if its been posted elese where but i did give it a good search and havent yet found the answer im after

first thing.
my core strength is quite weak and my question is ive started to add in situps, sit up side crunch things, and laying flat and lifting my legs i do each exersice once in a row and thats one set i than do 2 sets of this. only thing is how do i target my obliques more? and also how do i target my lower abbs more? also im on rippetoes starting strength and would there be any benifent in adding hyperextensions in? if so when? they days i dont do deadlifts i gather?

second thing is warm up.
i see lots go guys doing 8, 4 ,5 ,2 reps for warm up sets (thats just a guess what i wrote) i usaly do like 8-10 reps witha bar and than rip into it. should i be doing more and slightly increasing weight?

another question regarding posture.
what can i do to improve my posture any small exersices? my shoulders round a fair bit and slump forward..

also in regards to stretching do you guys do your warm up than stretch i take it, i cant ever remember really stretching before i worked out but always stretched for footy so im not completely unflexable. also stretching after? yes? no?
thanks in advanced :)

Last edited:
my core strength is quite weak and my question is ive started to add in situps, sit up side crunch things, and laying flat and lifting my legs i do each exersice once in a row and thats one set i than do 2 sets of this. only thing is how do i target my obliques more? and also how do i target my lower abbs more? also im on rippetoes starting strength and would there be any benifent in adding hyperextensions in? if so when? they days i dont do deadlifts i gather?

Squatting and deadlifting will really bring up your 'core'. if you want to do more forget situps and look at planks, straight leg lowering, barbell rollouts. ab wheel (going in that order from easy to hard).

another question regarding posture.
what can i do to improve my posture any small exersices? my shoulders round a fair bit and slump forward..

Back exercises (rows etc), sitting correctly, standing correctly, getting your glutes firing, getting your abs firing (see above), lengthening your hip flexors, lengthening your hamstrings.

Spot on answers Dave but I am a fan of planks and always have been. I don't think it hurts to bust yourself with a "hectic" ab routine occasionally.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah i know my deads and squats will work them but they are just lacking a bit and its slightly affecting my squat well so i belive...
thanks for your reply also dkd posted some links for me under my traning log to.

so are you saying that the day i do bent rows adding in something like combo rows after??
and sorry but what do you mean by getting my abs and glutes firing?
cheers :)

Your hips rely on your abs and glutes to posteriorly tilt them which reduces the lower curve in your back (most peoples are a little excessive and are too concave) this leads to over correction by your upper back (too convex) and leads to a hunch look which leads to rounded shoulders and a forward neck. So as you can see you need to have your glutes and abs strong and firing proplerly (you sit on your ass and it inhibits it all day). Maybe a couple of times a day throw in a few sets of your ab work and some bridging this will help 'turn on' (shit way to say it but you get the point) and strengthen these.

Back exercises are some reverse dumbbell flyes and some seated cable rows, you can go lighter and focus on the movement. That way you learn the movements and focus on the correct muscles and it will not take away from your recovery too much.

I'm yet to try them, I hear lifting the weight above your head then walking is also effective. If i did either of them in my gym I would get funny looks... I'm the only person I have ever seen do a good morning in my gym for that matter.

Side-bends.
One hand holding a heavy dumbbell, the other hand behind your head.

From upright position run the db down the leg to full extension and return, 15 to 20 reps.

This exercise should be done at the end of a workout, can be done every day.
A great exer ise for strengthening the smaller muscle that inter- connect between the IVD's
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you been doing them for awhile or just start?

I haven't needed them, I did them for quite some time maybe four years ago, Ken liestner suggested I do them, it certainly made a difference to my squat and dead-lift ability.
I am unable to do them these days I'm too fried after my general workout.

Prior to that my back used to suffer, my back is now the strongest part of my body.
Posted via Mobile Device

are you guys talking about the side bends? sb?
and what do you guys think about doing chin ups with knees close to your chest? or i herd they should be in line with your body with calfs crossed over?

Everyone's different.

I just warm up with light weights; gradually increasing to the work sets.

Some people like to stretch afterwards.

what do you guys think about doing chin ups with knees close to your chest? or i herd they should be in line with your body with calfs crossed over?

I do them the second way you described. Keeping my feet across each other helps stop my legs swinging.