• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Incline bench

Incline being easy on the shoulder than flat baffles me Nick. Drop in sometime to let me check it out.

[MENTION=5361]El Freako[/MENTION]; Like.

To me, and it's just my contrarian view point, if you are having a hard time flat benching, doing more various types of benching is like working around an injury.

You're not addressing the issue, in fact, you are ignoring it.

On this benching thing.

I notice that when a person benches, there is a tendency to lift or elevate the shoulder as they fatigue, the same goes for all pressing.

Depending on the individual's shoulder structure Can create impingement?

Last edited:
On this benching thing.

I notice that when a person benches, there is a tendency to lift or elevate the shoulder as they fatigue, the same goes for all pressing.

Depending on the individual's shoulder structure Can create impingement?

You mean overextend the shoulder right? Rather than keep them retracted?

Yeah I think there is definite potential for impingement there... I'm pretty sure I read an article on the subject once as well. 3 types of shoulder with varying degrees of impingement potential.

You mean overextend the shoulder right? Rather than keep them retracted?

Yeah I think there is definite potential for impingement there... I'm pretty sure I read an article on the subject once as well. 3 types of shoulder with varying degrees of impingement potential.

Yes, and also more importantly, elevating (shrugging) the shoulder, you watch people, this happens more often than not, I think we do this to recruit more musculature

We seem to do this naturally also, I think for some it closes the space too much between the acromian and humerus.

Tricky.

I'm pretty sure I read an article on the subject once as well. 3 types of shoulder with varying degrees of impingement potential.

This one?
T NATION | My Shoulder Hurts: The Finest Whine

acromion.jpg

Doing flat bench doesnt always = a bigger flat bench - which muscle groups do you think are mostly used when a powerlifter is benching? Chest? no...its front shoulders, back, rear delts and triceps mostly that will deliver the power when it comes to a big bench - the chest really isnt involved that much if you are benching correctly.

You will find alot of the best powerlifters in the world wont hit direct flat benching that much - they will do varitions of the movement.

If your not competing though I wouldnt really worry to much about doing flat bench, incline bench, db bench etc etc....just do whatever is comfortable and doesnt increase the chance of injury...

Some people say that but almost every big raw bencher has a big chest.

If you look at a good bencher they will normally have big back, rear delts, traps/front shoulder and thick triceps - of course you'll develop a big/ish chest over the years aswell - but def not the sign of a good bencher.

Check out guys like -

Scot Mendelson
Ryan Kennelly
Jeremy Hoornstra
Joe Mazza
Eric Spoto

Etc - all have huge triceps/traps/rear delts etc - yes they have "big chests" but its the other muscles above that stand out...

When I hit 210 (single ply shirt) in the gym I dont think id hit direct flat bench for maybe 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Big raw benchers pretty much all have big chests. To say its not important is stupid, all pressing muscles are important for a big bench.

Big raw benchers pretty much all have big chests. To say its not important is stupid, all pressing muscles are important for a big bench.

Lol - I didnt say its not important I am simply saying the chest as a muscle group in a big bench is down the list in importance...if benching correctly the chest will not be that involved - have abit of a research and watch good benchers bench - the bar isnt even travelling towards the chest during the movement.

Last edited:
Doing flat bench doesnt always = a bigger flat bench - which muscle groups do you think are mostly used when a powerlifter is benching? Chest? no...its front shoulders, back, rear delts and triceps mostly that will deliver the power when it comes to a big bench - the chest really isnt involved that much if you are benching correctly.

You will find alot of the best powerlifters in the world wont hit direct flat benching that much - they will do varitions of the movement.

If your not competing though I wouldnt really worry to much about doing flat bench, incline bench, db bench etc etc....just do whatever is comfortable and doesnt increase the chance of injury...

I'm not exactly sure you've worded this correct rugby88.
The chest (pecs) play a significant role moving the bar, more so than you seem to suggest.
The tricep, along with the anterior deltoid are doing most of the mechanical work.

The chest is involved greatly, what is the humerus doing here?
Use dumbbells and you'll see.

The area that is receiving the most punishment is the deltoid and often a culprit for the slumped shoulder syndrome.

All the muscles around the other side are contributing to stability, because the shoulder needs it.

Sorry to hijack.

Lol - I didnt say its not important I am simply saying the chest as a muscle group in a big bench is down the list in importance...if benching correctly the chest will not be that involved - have abit of a research and watch good benchers bench - the bar isnt even travelling towards the chest during the movement.

In a way you are.

The pecs are down the list, but not as far as you seem to indicate.

I'm not exactly sure you've worded this correct rugby88.
The chest (pecs) play a significant role moving the bar, more so than you seem to suggest.
The tricep, along with the anterior deltoid are doing most of the mechanical work.

The chest is involved greatly, what is the humerus doing here?
Use dumbbells and you'll see.

The area that is receiving the most punishment is the deltoid and often a culprit for the slumped shoulder syndrome.

All the muscles around the other side are contributing to stability, because the shoulder needs it.

Sorry to hijack.

Yes in a "traditional" "conventional" bench the chest is the prime target - in a powerlifting style bench bench it is low on the importance list as I have stated - after rear delts, traps, back, front shoulders, triceps (in no order)

Yes in a "traditional" "conventional" bench the chest is the prime target - in a powerlifting style bench bench it is low on the importance list as I have stated - after rear delts, traps, back, front shoulders, triceps (in no order)

Well, I don't agree with that, all pressing movements use the same musculature, one difference is free movement of the scapula.

But let's not argue about.

Believe me if you did tricep pressdowns all the time and then one day decided to bench your bench would be greater than someone who does pec flys all the time....this is a very very very simple way of looking at things but its the truth....

(Not that anyone would do the above - just a way of looking at things)

I think you are confusing a conventional bench press with a powerlifting bench press - 2 totally different movements - you need to understand both and I guess you have to train for both to understand they are totally different - using totally different muscle groups, totally different set up, totally different bar movement....

I understand what your trying to say and yes the chest is involved of course it is - but it is not a prime muscle when it comes to a powerlifting bench....watch how powerlifters bench....

Last edited:
Some people say that but almost every big raw bencher has a big chest.

Check out guys like -

Scot Mendelson Mostly equipped, got away with a bounced touch and go for a "world record" raw
Ryan Kennelly Only equipped
Jeremy Hoornstra Started equipped, heaves all his raw benches off the chest instead of pressing them off
Joe Mazza Mainly equipped, does actually bench when he's raw though
Eric Spoto Wow, you have one guy on here who actually is a raw bencher. Still heaves it though

When I hit 210 (single ply shirt) in the gym I dont think id hit direct flat bench for maybe 6 weeks.

A. Nice strawman.
B. Nice claiming gym lifts.

What about Denis Cieri and Kirill Sarychev?

Last edited:
Nice strawman.

I am trying to point out that the flat bench isnt the be all and end all of a good bench - equip or not...

Look at places like EliteFTS, Westside barbell - some of the greatest powerlifters come from these places - at Westside the only time they will do a "normal" bench is on meet day the rest is variations of the lift.

All athletes I mentioned - are all great RAW benchers/good benchers in general and yes most have benched raw and equip....I wasnt really trying to describe their bench but more so for bazza to have a look at their body types...

Scot Mendelson
Ryan Kennelly
Jeremy Hoornstra
Joe Mazza
Eric Spoto

Yes Cieri/Sarychev - again fantastic benchers and yes still have the same sort of body type as the above athletes...

Last edited: