• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Important things to look for in a bench?

jj80

- Minimum bench press width - I was considering the Bodysolid FID31 / FID71 but after seeing some pictures it looks too thin.

- Recommended incline angles? Benches like the ironmaster give you a large range. The bodysolid benches I've read are more limited.

- Is an additional flat bench necessary for heavier work? How heavy is 'heavy'?

- Any recommended benches? The bodysolid FID31 is available in Brisbane for $350 which seems good, except for the width part... The ironmaster is a little more expensive at ~$430 delivered. I've found a FID71 for $450. Is the FID71 by bodysolid much better than the FID31?

- Height? I'm very tall at 6'4 so this probably won't be an issue to me, but then all the powerlifting benches are very low. Is this just cause the sport is dominated by short people? :p

- Thanks for any advice.. pm me if you want to get rid of your sturdy bench in brisbane!

Last edited:
30cm should be the thickness of a bench. Good luck finding an adjustable bench in aus this wide :(

As declines shorten ROM and the bar travels round your neck they are useless. 0-35 degrees is useless too as thats basically a flat bench. 45 degrees + is too similar to a press with an awesome chance of shoulder impingement. So basically as long as its flat with a setting between 35-45 you're fine (see starting strength)

I like the commercial flat bench from muscle motion, and the premium commercial incline bench. don't fuck around with home gym quality, its rubbish.

A short bench will give you more leg drive. As tall as you are its still what you want.

NP little man.

Oh and watch out for incline benches with massive gaps between the pads. When it comes to maxing out they are far from awesome.

I'd thought about the muscle motion commercial flat bench and the ironmaster as a pair... a reasonable expensive option, but the iron master is a flexible incline and decline bench...

30cm should be the thickness of a bench. Good luck finding an adjustable bench in aus this wide :(

Yep, can't find anything....

bodysolid - 9.5" wide
ironmaster - 10" wide
body f320 - 9.75" wide
commercial gymdirect - 10.6" wide
iron edge bench - 11.02" wide

Watch out for the degree of lateral (sideway) movement when you have the incline up.

I have an Avanti and pretty much think there is about 10-12mm sideways movement dooing dumbell incline curls/presses. essentially someone has to stand behind and hold it.

Watch out for the degree of lateral (sideway) movement when you have the incline up.

I have an Avanti and pretty much think there is about 10-12mm sideways movement dooing dumbell incline curls/presses. essentially someone has to stand behind and hold it.

Now i have to sell the Avanti and buy another. So get a good one first time round.

Last edited:
The commercial flat bench at gym direct is listed as 300 mm....

I have that one and it definitely feels more stable than the old piece of crap that I did have..... and I am really glad that I did buy it in the end even though I would have liked an incline/decline bench I figured it was better just to get something that worked really well for what it did.

As for height, you are far better with a bench lower than higher, grounding your feet properly is pretty important but others much more experienced will be able to explain why better than I can... I only say that it definitely helps me position more comfortably and use the legs to maintain tightness.
Having said that each to their own.. yoiu obviously have your own requirements and goals that you need to consider.

Oh and watch out for incline benches with massive gaps between the pads. When it comes to maxing out they are far from awesome.

Or incline benches that widen out down at the bottom. I feel like I am getting prepped to give birth on mine.

Yep, can't find anything....

bodysolid - 9.5" wide
ironmaster - 10" wide
body f320 - 9.75" wide
commercial gymdirect - 10.6" wide
iron edge bench - 11.02" wide

fucking lol. none of them are 30cm. are you illiterate?

The commercial gym direct flat bench is supposed to be 30cm wide isn't it??

yeah, there are a couple of other flat benches around which are 30cm too but nothing adjustable.

Sigh, if only elitefts shipping wasn't so shit.

yeah, there are a couple of other flat benches around which are 30cm too but nothing adjustable.

Sigh, if only elitefts shipping wasn't so shit.

Yeah I remember years ago Dave Tate saying they were going to look into getting better shipping costs.

I got bands from them one time before anyone started selling them here in Aus and the postage was well over what the bands cost. Haha.

No, what do you mean? Did you assume I was being sarcastic? I couldn't find any and listed the common top choices to prove it.

yeah I did. sorry mate I'm pretty cynical.

I probably like the muscle motion the best, at 27cm it isn't too bad.

Went to the shop today, tried out the bodysolid models. If only they weren't so thin - they were obviously quality products. Built like trucks. But it felt like bench pressing on a thin plank compared to the 30cm commercial they had.

The 28cm width models felt a lot better (3-4cm seemed to make quite a difference), but weren't available in as heavy ratings.

There was actually a 'united' bench there that resembled Adjustable Flat Incline Bench (FIBEV) Here it is - Flat Incline Bench It was 28cm wide at the top, but they wouldn't give me a concrete weight rating - quite important to me.

I've decided against the ironmaster - I'll get 1 solid commercial flat bench and an incline such as the directgym one I just linked for flye/accessory work. I'll have trouble topping 250kg total on incline movements. The commercial will look after my shoulders most of the time, when it matters, during heavy flat benching.

$300 commercial + $200 incline = $500 vs
$430 ironmaster / $450 bodysolid.

I didn't check out the Force USA FID but for comparison's sake it's rated to 275kg and might be worth looking at.

I've been told (on these forums) not to trust manufacturer's too much on their weight ratings - I agree, but it's worth something when a manufacturer agrees to sign off on a number - even if it's only a static load.

Also, food for thought - there can be strength differences between Chinese steel and steel from other countries... not that it's always inferior, but sometimes depending on the manufacturing process impurities can creep in during ingot casting which may be in a critical location of the bench without you realising......

So I'll go brand name / manufacturers with load ratings.

Anyone that thinks they are getting a product made ftom steel cast anywhere other then china, pakistam or belaruse is living in fantasy land. I worked in the steel industry for a long time and chinese steel is 99% of the market.

You are only talking about loads pf 250kg it is nothing. I think its funny none of you give any thought to the thickness of ply used on the back of the pad that'll be wat breaks.

Anyone that thinks they are getting a product made ftom steel cast anywhere other then china, pakistam or belaruse is living in fantasy land. I worked in the steel industry for a long time and chinese steel is 99% of the market.

You are only talking about loads pf 250kg it is nothing. I think its funny none of you give any thought to the thickness of ply used on the back of the pad that'll be wat breaks.

Yes, both the plywood pad backing together with the backrest and seat subframe are very structural and should be considered in the overall decision.

Some pads overhang the subrfame too much and are only thin ply, 10mm or so, and will simply snap if loaded on the edge.

Hi Joe,

Well, if you are insistent on 30cm wide, your choices certainly are limited.
The Muscle Motion commercial flat bench is a good bench, but flat only.

If you can wait until Monday, I'll take a video of both of these adjustable benches:
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/ASFID-Super-FID-Bench/467.htm
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Adjustable-Flat-Incline-Bench-(FIBEV)/97.htm

Will load 300kg of plates on the bench and add my 90kg bodyweight and bench press a 100kg barbell in flat position, that is just under 500kg.
Even though these benches are listed as 250kg rating, these ratings are a very conservative general rating given by the manufacturer, we will amend them after this testing, as it seems too low.
This will be with feet off the floor too, so the loading test will take into consideration full bodyweight compared to if feet were driving off the floor.