• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

i'm damn frustrated

PowerBuilder

Here's the score. For a lot of this year, I've been following the smolov squat & jr program to jack up my bench & squat. At one point my squat got up to 117.5 (at a body weight of 66kg). Then suddenly due to personal & professional circumstances *ie working 60 hours a week & getting sick* my training stopped. I'm back on the saddle & well into it, yet i can't seem to get my squat past 105kg, altho i'm using the same workout method that brought my squat up.

My bench is however stagnent. it wont budge past 77.5kg. At a body weight of 66kg...that's not too shabby.

Like i said tho, I can't seem to increase my squat, deadlift or bench. What do I do? Should i train in a higher rep range. My diet is pretty clean & surplus calories are being eaten. I'm not wanting to exceeding 15% bf.

Ok, so what do you all say? Questions? Comments ?

I won't advise on the specific lifts, I just know about beginner stuff, and since you're benching over your bodyweight and squatting around 1 2/3 times bodyweight, you're no beginner!

I'll just say... Is there anything different from last time you were increasing the weight? Diet? Hours worked? Your sleep? How about the personal circumstances? I mean, when you're lifting 100+kgs then an extra few kgs here and there is half psychological at least.

not sure man.. i'm a weird case myself...

My 5 rep max for deadlift is 110kg
5 rep max for Bench press is 80kg (with spotting needed on the 5th rep)
but my 5 rep max for Squat is 70kg......

clearly not right.

whats your actual program look like? might be time for abit of a change. another good way to break a plateau is to eat your way through it lol add a couple of litres of milk to whatever you are eating now

I suppose I can only give examples of a lifter I have at my gym around your bodyweight and what he does on those. He is my son, just turned 17, weighs 68kg, stupidly lean. He has 1 year of serious lifting, my programs, my gym, his effort.

Squat 155kg......2.3 x bodyweight
Deadlift 170kg...hasnt tested for awhile, actually much higher
Bench press 85kg
Powerclean 108.5kg
Jerk 95kg
Push press 85kg

His better rep efforts are

Squat 100kg x 20 @ 66kg....1.5 x BW
Deadlift 160kg x 5

His bench is shithouse because he never did it earlier on, he trains for soccer and its a useless movement for that. He actually lifts over his head more than he benches.

His program is very simple. He squats, pulls, presses every session. School holidays he lifts twice a day. During soccer season he lifts 3-4 times a week, off season every day.

My advice is, keep your program simple, pull and squat 2-3 times a week. He drinks around 3-5 litres of milk a day.

As far as increasing bench press, find your weakest point and correct it. Speed work if your slow off the chest, overload tricep work if its your lockout.

We also use chains, bands, boards etc

With all my lifters, I watch them lift, work out the sticking point, fix that, massive increase.

I recently helped a client go from an 80kg BP to 97.5kg in 6 weeks, twice a week benching, one speed one heavy.

If I havent been much help, I'm sorry. If you would like to ask a specific question I will do my best to help.

the above examples are there to try and help you by showing you what you can achieve.

Where do you live, I have lifters in every state, I can get someone to help you....maybe

Cheers

Markos

I forgot to congratulate you on your efforts so far. Too many lifters avoid the basic exercises, and the work ethic required to get strong at them.

Dont feel as though your failing because the weights dont move up each session. The biggest plateau I had was getting a 300lb(137.5kg) bench. It took forever, I was at 132.5kg for what seemed like a lifetime. Missed 137.5kg over 50 times I reckon.

But all that heavy lifting eventually paid off. I made 137.5kg, then quicky got to 145kg, in a couple of weeks. Thats how it works.

Lift hard and heavy now, reap the benefits a little later.

This happened to Max recently. He powercleaned 100kg for the first time in January. Up until a couple of weeks ago, he had only got it to 101kg. Then came 102.5, 105, 107.5, 108.5kg in a matter of a few days.

The work you are putting in now is neccesary.

To make strength gains, you need to be using at least 85% of your 1RM.

If your trying to get faster, use 60% of your 1RM during speed sessions.

Someone mentioned their lifts werent balanced. Here are some more examples of lifters hovering around the 68-70kg weight class at my gym.

Nicky - 70kg
Squat 105kg
Bench 90kg
Deadlift 170kg
Powerclean 80kg
Overhead 70kg

Dim - 68kg
Squat 115kg
Bench press 95kg
Deadlift 160kg
Powerclean 75kg
Overhead 75kg

Both these guys had lifted at commercial gyms prior to starting at PTC, for up to 2 years. See if you can guess theyre favourite lift lol

thanks fella's for your encouragement.

I talked to a mate today, one of the best PT's i personally know. Most of his experience comes from bodybuilding training...getting clients fit &/or body re-composition. So he couldn't offer me much practical advice in terms of strength training, other than vaguely giving chains a guy, trying floor presses as well as box squats.

I've found that when going to bench 80, it always falls over a about an inch after the bar grazes my chest. It doesn't bounce, it touches lightly. The squat is similar, juz as i'm trying to get out of the hole...it manages to pin me to the ground! lol

I'll go shopping on saturday with the girlfriend at bunnings for chains. What length would I be able to get away with? I'd be able to use the same chains for squatting & benching hey? Would I be able to get away with 2 x 3 metre lengths ?

Perhaps while using chains, using the 4 day westside template would be best.

PTC, your son is a real inspiration (to me). Young guys these days are freaky strong. Unfortunately, when I was a young tyke, i had a poor low (almost no) protein diet. I'm here now & i'm eating right...i'm juz a bit disadvantaged.

I want that 100kg BP, i want that 130 squat. I need that 180 deadlift.

We told you already modo, come down from the savage outlands and into civilised country and we will make you into a confident meat monster.

Anyway, doesn't matter what you lift, only that it's more than yesterday.

PowerBuilder,

Your problem is very easy to solve. What is your rep range and how many times a week are you squating? You've mentioned that your best squat was 117.5kg before you had some issues; where would you like it to go?

People here are going to have to provide as much information about themselves as possible if they wish for maximum improvements. I usually ask a million and one questions before I commit myself.

Do you guys have first names or is that out of the question? It makes for a better communication when one is dealing with a human name.

Fadi.

We told you already modo, come down from the savage outlands and into civilised country and we will make you into a confident meat monster.

Anyway, doesn't matter what you lift, only that it's more than yesterday.

thats the thing Kyle, it stays the same, if not wavers back down and back up to the same... :(

i cant get to Melbourne often and it annoys me! i swear, i am beginning to think... the only way to get big... is down the path of "special supps".

You should not get to Melbourne, you should live in Melbourne.

Special Supps don't give you extra gains, they just give you the gains you could have got only faster.

You need to post your diet, workout and measurements again in your journal so we can look at them.

Hello Markos,

Please let me say that I have nothing but total respect for your position as a Strength & conditioning coach Sir. It was people like you that turned me into a world class weighlifter; something I'm forever greatful for.

Markos, are we the oldies here or what my friend?!

Respect,
Fadi.

I'm a bit confused here fellows; what has Melbourne got to do with anyhing here?

Modo, you resort to steroids and I won't be speaking with you anymore my friend. Period!

Getting stronger and bigger is not rocket science Modo, just be a little patient. I'll look at your current program and go from there. I'll be posting what I would say to you in your training jurnal soon. So chin up in the mean time , OK!

Fadi.

Fadi, modo has the problem of being in a country town and the gym community, the wider community, family and so on not being as welcoming and helpful as they ought to be. He would be more comfortable and could improve all areas of his life in a more happily multicultural place, like Melbourne.

Have a look over modo's training journal and you'll see what we mean.

I am sure he's just joking about the drugs. He's an honest guy.

Fadi i wouldnt do the gear... that is stupid... especially if i want to have kids, come on! it was a joke please.

EDIT: RE:Kyle: thanks man that is nice of you to say about me! warm and fuzzy inside now.

Also Markos' Performance Training Centre is is Melbourne (Modo's nearest capital city I believe), which is why they were discussing going to Melbourne...

Here's the score. For a lot of this year, I've been following the smolov squat & jr program to jack up my bench & squat. At one point my squat got up to 117.5 (at a body weight of 66kg). Then suddenly due to personal & professional circumstances *ie working 60 hours a week & getting sick* my training stopped. I'm back on the saddle & well into it, yet i can't seem to get my squat past 105kg, altho i'm using the same workout method that brought my squat up.

My bench is however stagnent. it wont budge past 77.5kg. At a body weight of 66kg...that's not too shabby.

Like i said tho, I can't seem to increase my squat, deadlift or bench. What do I do? Should i train in a higher rep range. My diet is pretty clean & surplus calories are being eaten. I'm not wanting to exceeding 15% bf.

Ok, so what do you all say? Questions? Comments ?

Heya Bro, PTC's got some good advice in here for you. but I just want to say. try not to sweat it too much.
about 3 or 4 times a year my trainning is always put to a stand still due to sickness and or long hours like yourself. in 2007 I even went in to hospital twice for my asthma and both times went into resportory arrest. I have had to stop lifting for weeks and weeks and very literally lost almost the lot. (stength and size).
When I finally get bak into the gym I have had to start from scratch, which was a really hard thing to motivate myself too do, I have had to really pull myself out of some incredibly negative and depressing mindsets, to even get myself bak through that gym door.
I learnt to start back at the beginning and the first 2-3 weeks is a drag trying to prime my body. I then found after that time my origanal size and strength returns, not quite 100% but better then a poke in the eye.
If your not lifting your best now, doesnt mean it's not gonna happen it just means your body needs a little more time to ease that power back on, as you workout your body gets stronger not weaker. so take a good look at what your lifting and how your lifting it, mix it up a bit and try full deep knee squats with a lighter weight (things like that).
I also have days where I cant go heavy, its frustrating but its nessercy as your body tells you that you are close to over trainning a possibly injury if you dont ease up a bit.
So in that case I will train the same but rest more by taking more recovery days off so my body can have time to catch up. I find this always works. and soon bak lifting 100%.
Also mind set is a huge factor as I have to be hell confident to go heavy and complete muscle blowing lifts. after being off sick or working so long and being run down my mind takes as much priming as the rest of me to be ready for thr heavy stuff. I do this by watching the docudrama Pumping Iron and watch guys like Branch Warren etc blowing themselves to peices on youtube, I also put heaps of adrenalin charging metal on my mp3. I am a real believer in mind power and mind over body. for me its the defference between Deadlifting 100kg or 160kg. it entirly up to me and where my mind is at the time.
This is just my life experiance with illness and working very long hours, but I feel it relates to your situation.
Good luck my man and I have confidence you'll soon hit that G spot :)