• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

If you only could do ONE exercise for each muscle, what would that be?

Delts- Seated DB Press
Chest- Bench Press
Quads- Back squats
Abs- Dragon Flags
Back- Deadlifts
Hams - Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Glutes- Pull Throughs
Biceps- Incline DB Curls
Triceps- Skull Crushers
Lats- Pull Ups

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

deadlifts for biceps? better doing chin-ups or pullups, at least for biceps.
Here is a 590 pound deadlift from a guy with small arms.

I agree with you, but the irony is that, having trained with Nghiep, his program, which he used for many many years, includes both bicep curls and chins. He just has a wirey Viet build.

As the title says, you can only choose one exercise for each muscle/muscle group. What would that be?
Delts press
Chest dip
Quads leg extension
Abs crunch with plate
Back row
ham SLDL
Glutes squat
Biceps nautilus multi bicep
Triceps french press
Lats Back medx pullover

EMG studies have proven that glute activation in heavy squats is much much lower than other exercises. Doesn't matter whether they are front squat, high bar, low bar or zercher (although Zercher is the best of that lot). Don't get me wrong, squats require strong glutes to maintain a proper back angle, but they are not the limiting factor. Quad, hammy and/or back strength generally are.

Deadlift relies more on glutes and hammies than squats.

For glutes, I would select hip thrusts or GHR (with bands), or single leg hip extensions. I'm going to say barbell hip thrusts, as they are the easiest to load up.

For hammies, definitely GHR.

EMG studies have proven that glute activation in heavy squats is much much lower than other exercises. Doesn't matter whether they are front squat, high bar, low bar or zercher (although Zercher is the best of that lot). Don't get me wrong, squats require strong glutes to maintain a proper back angle, but they are not the limiting factor. Quad, hammy and/or back strength generally are.

Deadlift relies more on glutes and hammies than squats.

For glutes, I would select hip thrusts or GHR (with bands), or single leg hip extensions. I'm going to say barbell hip thrusts, as they are the easiest to load up.

For hammies, definitely GHR.

EMG studies can go fuck themselves.

How much movement around the hip is there in the squat compared to the deadlift?

Both the deadlift and squat are wonderful hip strengthening exercises.

If the thread was "what one exercise would you choose if you could only choose one", I would pick the squat, with deadlift coming second.

But that's not the question.

Range of motion does not necessarily determine the degree of force that is placed on a muscle/muscle group. Time under tension or power maybe, but not the ability to generate force, ie strength. There is more hip hinge in a conventional deadlift than a squat, but more importantly the load is more forward and well below the hip, meaning there is more torque on the hip than in a squat. It makes perfect sense.

In a deadlift the loading if shifted onto the hammies for the same reason, whereas in squat, the loading shifts more to the quads, due to the more upright position.

But in both instances, the glutes, as a group, are not pushed to nearly the same degree as many other exercises. I feel a 50kg hip thrust in the glutes much more than a 150kg squat. For individual glute muscles the effect is even greater. A 1RM squat will not work your glute medius nearly as much as a clamshell with moderate band tension.

If the thread was "what one exercise would you choose if you could only choose one", I would pick the squat, with deadlift coming second.

But that's not the question.

Range of motion does not necessarily determine the degree of force that is placed on a muscle/muscle group. Time under tension or power maybe, but not the ability to generate force, ie strength. There is more hip hinge in a conventional deadlift than a squat, but more importantly the load is more forward and well below the hip, meaning there is more torque on the hip than in a squat. It makes perfect sense.

In a deadlift the loading if shifted onto the hammies for the same reason, whereas in squat, the loading shifts more to the quads, due to the more upright position.

But in both instances, the glutes, as a group, are not pushed to nearly the same degree as many other exercises. I feel a 50kg hip thrust in the glutes much more than a 150kg squat. For individual glute muscles the effect is even greater. A 1RM squat will not work your glute medius nearly as much as a clamshell with moderate band tension.

Are you telling me that, force, speed and strength are not related?

This speed of movement thing is so controversial

Prior to the 40's the term physical culturalist was common and although there where to divisions the ones looking for symmetry and the other Olympic lifters both shared the same background.

It wasn't until bodybuilding became more acceptable in the fifties that the division grew.

Through the 60's and 70's the division between bodybuilding and Olympic lifting became complete.

The "mirror" athletes were criticized by the lifters as having useless muscles, the lifters were seen as cows or guys who lifted by trickery.

sprinters, one of most important muscles.

I would imagine quite a few sports.

Edzacary.

It's were the most power is generated, a big arse, means a lot of power.

Narrow shoulder, wide hip, thick thigh, small calve, you are built for speed.

Delts - BB OHP
Chest - Flat Bench Press
Quads - BB Front Squats
Abs - Hanging Leg Raise
Back - BB Deadlifts
ham - SLDL
Glutes - Low bar squats
Biceps - BB Curl
Triceps - Dips
Lats - BB Row

Due to injuries/pains/laziness or lack of equipment I don't do Abs, biceps or triceps directly.
They are not lacking or bad, but I won't win any BB comps with them. lol

The rest I do throughout the week the best that I can.