• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hyperextensions....Do you do them?

Do you use a Hyperextensoin?

I have used one at my local gym occasionally but I have now cancelled my membership and was wondering if its worth buying one for my home set up.

Do you add these to your training?

Cheers

Yep, i love them. really helps my lower back

Where do you rest the bar Fadi?
Usually the bar rests on the upper trapezius Andy.

I can understand that it may or may not be for you or others, but it is what some lifters do when they need to increase the load beyond what is possible lifting the weight disks. I hope that answers your question Andy.

It looks a lot like a barbell good morning.

007+upper+body+BARBELL+GOOD+MORNING.jpg

All the best mate.

trapezius.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Some may feel the need to use a barbell simply to increase the load beyond what a 25kg weight disk can offer. I can assure you no Olympic weightlifter I've ever trained with thought of it as been sexy to do so. We simply did what was necessary to achieve a desired result...period!

Fadi.

Um, I just use 2 plates. Frankly, if you are going above 50kg you probably are just fapping away and not doing them properly. I have a reasonable deadlift and find that a 25kg plate is more than enough to get a serious training effect (and wicked back pump). That's considering that it is used as an accessory exercise so you have already hit your back doing squats or deads.

But, whatever rings your bells.

Frankly, picking up a single plate (or two stacked) and holding them to your chest while you are on a hyper frame is a hell of a lot easier and safer than either climbing on the thing with a bar on your back our arching down, rolling the bar and pulling it up onto your traps. Just seems to be a dangerous and complicated way of doing something that is very simple.

Oh, and the pic above is of a good morning, not a hyper. Dunno if I have ever seen a pic of someone doing a hyper with a barbell.

Dunno if I have ever seen a pic of someone doing a hyper with a barbell.
Wait!! I found one!!!

barbell-glute-bridge.jpg

Um. No. Hang on. I think that's wrong. But not in a bad way.

Um, I just use 2 plates. Frankly, if you are going above 50kg you probably are just fapping away and not doing them properly. I have a reasonable deadlift and find that a 25kg plate is more than enough to get a serious training effect (and wicked back pump). That's considering that it is used as an accessory exercise so you have already hit your back doing squats or deads.

Frankly, picking up a single plate (or two stacked) and holding them to your chest while you are on a hyper frame is a hell of a lot easier and safer than either climbing on the thing with a bar on your back our arching down, rolling the bar and pulling it up onto your traps. Just seems to be a dangerous and complicated way of doing something that is very simple.

Oh, and the pic above is of a good morning, not a hyper. Dunno if I have ever seen a pic of someone doing a hyper with a barbell.

This is exactly what is going through my head, I believe the idea is to get a bit of movement in the spine here, most maintain rigidity and move at the hip (hinge), most of the work then is done by the glutes and ham's, their big muscles and take over.

Done correctly, you will not be able to handle too much load, be careful with this exercise.
loading a heavy barbell on or around the base of the skull is sort of asking for trouble. Risky at best.

The pic above Fadi, could be anything.
but not a lower back exercise.

Last edited:
I use 40kg (no 25kg plates when I do them) and I can do a good set of 20 pausing each rep at the top :(
I used a barbell and "deadlifted" it before, pausing at the top. That works well. But not often I prefer deadlifting

I'm a bodybuilder now. LOL. I feel weird just saying that.

Try the single leggers man! Adds some rotational core stability as well. I started doing them as I CBF taking weights over to the machine which isn't directly in the free weights area at my gym.

Thank you for your input. I'm sure Olympic weightlifters worldwide, especially the Russians, would find your information interesting. But like you’ve so eloquently put it: whatever rings your bells!

All the best to you.

Fadi.

The pic above Fadi, could be anything.
but not a lower back exercise.
Post #42 was my reply to your question! If you have read it, then you would need to clarify your statement in that the pic I presented "could be anything". Thank you.

Fadi.

Post #42 was my reply to your question! If you have read it, then you would need to clarify your statement in that the pic I presented "could be anything". Thank you.

Fadi.

So, in the picture Fadi, you are just using the picture to illustrate where the bar rests?

Thanks.

So, in the picture Fadi, you are just using the picture to illustrate where the bar rests?
Thanks.

I was giving you an exact response to your question Andy. You asked me:
Where do you rest the bar Fadi?
And I gave you a reply to that question by providing you with two pics. Please tell me if I've missed something Sir, and I'd be happy to oblige. Thank you.

Fadi.

It seems after all these years, they've come up with a machine/bench for it. Back at the AIS we used to straddle a gymnastic vault horse, with one (or two) weightlifters holding our ankles / lower leg under their arms.

Fadi.

Last edited:
That's a Glute Ham Raise machine. Yes, it can be used for hypers but the proper flat section under the thighs/hips, on a hyper setup, focuses the movement more on the lower back and glutes, while this setup with the curved pads puts more pressure/activation on the hams.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Articl...er_and_Stronger_with_the_Glute-Ham_Raise.aspx

gluteHam.jpg

A hyper setup is different and hits the back and glutes more:

Roman%2BChair.jpg

…. but, as I said, if push comes to shove you can use the former to do the latter. There is also an angled version which makes the movement a little easier as half the movement is above parallel so less pressure on the top half….

master:BSD003.jpg

As far as the barbell goes, vs a flat plate, the plate is much, much easier to pick up and place on the chest, especially for newbies and females (no misogyny intended) who may have problems getting it into position. You can see the guy in the vid in the previous post having a bit of a struggle getting a light bar in place. A plate would be much easier to pick up and hold on the upper chest, even a heavy 50kg plate, though most would be happy with a 10kg or 20kg plate.

Like dis:

Screenshot-2014-03-20-14.13.37.png

Oh, wait, that's not right. Ahem. Cough. More like dis:

Hyper-Extensions.jpg

…. but, as I said, if you have always used a bar and are happy with the unstable setup, go for it. Just make sure you get them in at least once a week. I do mine after deads.

yeah, I thought the vid was a glute ham raise machine too.
[MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; pls post some more pics of women's arses pls :D

Good thread!

All these exercises no doubt benefit the lower back to what degree is debatable, you just need to factor in safety and if you like, efficiency and practicality.

yeah, I thought the vid was a glute ham raise machine too.
@WoodyAllen ; pls post some more pics of women's arses pls :D

Why, whatever do you mean. I would never be so crass as to post exploitive butt pics. The pics are of gym equipment. Here's another…...

62b32ba4b14e9ff6_jen-selter-butt.jpg.xxxlarge.jpg

Notice the base is planted nice and wide to allow for horizontal leverage. Also, the ropes have a large knob on the end so your hands don't slip off.

I'm a bodybuilder now. LOL. I feel weird just saying that.

Try the single leggers man! Adds some rotational core stability as well. I started doing them as I CBF taking weights over to the machine which isn't directly in the free weights area at my gym.

I hammer single legs as I tend to develop alot of imbalance in my hams/glutes/erectors. FEELS GOOD MAN