• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hst

Oh boy

Instead of doing 6 sets on bench in one workout, those sets are spread over the course of a week (2 on Mon, 2 on Wed, 2 on Fri). Either way the muscle sees 6 sets each week, however, with HST the distribution of the loading sessions creates a consistent environment conducive to hypertrophy. When you do all six sets at once, you put unnecessary drain on the central nervous system (CNS) and invite centralized overtraining symptoms and burnout.

Last edited:
It's basics is that you do a full body workout 3 times a week. First 2 weeks 15 reps in the last week last workout hit your 1rm. Only 1 or 2 sets per exercise. Second week do sets of 10. Third sets of 5. Last week is rest week.

Anyone tell me more?

Old school bodybuilders like John Grimek, Reg Park, Steve Reeves etc were working out like this or similar before the advent of split routines.
It worked well for them.

I said 'oh boy' in my previous post at the guy suggesting that doing 6 sets of one exercise in one workout will cause 'overtraining', I don't think that the human body is that fragile.

It seems like an incredible amount of brosciencey bullshit and assumes that you have AIDS wasting disease. Other than that, you can't really fault it. I'm not exactly sure what it means by "hypertrophy specific" though. Training specifically for hypertrophy? I can't even explicate how stupid that is

It seems like an incredible amount of brosciencey bullshit and assumes that you have AIDS wasting disease. Other than that, you can't really fault it. I'm not exactly sure what it means by "hypertrophy specific" though. Training specifically for hypertrophy? I can't even explicate how stupid that is

Some of the words you use mate...

What OP did u get?

"Hypertrophy Specific Training"?
Don't most of us train to achieve Hypertrophy?
Isn't every BB routine designed speciffically for it?
I know I dont turn up to the gym just to perv at the hot chicks, well I do, but I also want some growth out of it !!!
What a name to call a routine, I'm thinking of introducing with the "NGBVSJST".
"No Growth But Very Sore Joints Specific Training" Anyone interested, proved to be very succesfull on me.

Dissclaimer - I'm NOT taking the piss out of the routine, just the name, cant get over it.

Bumper: I have a feeling we should kiss.
Fat Amy: I sometimes have a feeling I can do crystal meth, but then I think "Hmm, better not."

On a more serious note though, I think the below sums up the main thrust of HST:

"Therefore, you can get a hypertrophic effect from increasing the load from a previous load, even if the absolute load is not maximum, assuming conditioning (resistance to exercise induced micro-damage) is not to extensive.

There is a limit to the number of increments you can add to increase the load. You simply reach your maximum voluntary strength eventually. This is why Strategic Deconditioning is required for continued growth once growth has stopped (all things remaining equal)."

Last edited: