• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How weak were you?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Do you guys remember your first week in the gym and can you remember how weak/strong you were. We're always chasing that extra rep and that extra weight when we're training now and often forget how strong we are compared to what we were before we took up this lifestyle.

Yup.. At 18 when I first walked into the gym at Sunrise Dam Gold Mine I distinctly remember struggling to do OHP with 8kg dumbbells and bench press with a grand total of 30kg. I often reflect on that when I'm getting pissed with a shit session

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

at 16, my best bench was 55kg for one rep and about 1 or 2 chin-ups.

Started proper weight training 1980 at age 18. Doubled strength in first year.

Yeah, so true, it sort of creeps up over the years, reminds me when I show the ropes to a new comer to the gym.

I have plenty of weak memories. I know in high school I was curling dumbells that must have been 3.5kg or something. At basic training I couldn't do a single pullup (though I'm not much better than this now but working on it). I also have in my log when I was squatting 20kg and had to lift the bar over my head to do it because I had no rack.

Keeping a log is the best bit though, it shows where I started and where I got to after consistent training, motivating me to get back there.

Just started 2 months ago at age 40! Still weak as piss. Currently just managing to bench 45kgs at 10-12 reps.

It good to see this thread to show you there is light at the end of tunnel and thus it keeps me movitated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I benched 50lbs at first gym visit.

I did manage quite a few chins though. At 57kg not like I was lifting much :D

Can't remember my first bench session exactly, but I know 60kg was too much.

I might have got about 50kg out maximum, probably only 40kg and that would not have even been 3 sets of 8.

I think I was about 19 at the time.

I could not dead 60 for a set and squatting was just as poor...probably about 40 - 50 kg for all lifts.

Last edited:
i can't even bench 60kg nowadays due to triceps tendonitis and a fucked left shoulder.

i've had to go all the way back to the start on every exercise, re-learn proper form and start the long road all over again. i guess sometimes thats a good thing.

did 3 sets of 50kg for 16-17 reps today on bench press. i will be keeping my reps higher and moving up in smaller increments. my goal is 3 sets of 20 reps with 60kg and near perfect form.

reading the book "beyond brawn" has changed my approach and outlook on training.

Yep god damn the shaking afterwards, I remember sitting in science class in college and just shaking uncontrollably due to activating muscle fibres my fat ass didn't know existed.

I trained on and off (more off than on) from my teens into my late 20s. Did nothing but a bit of cardio here and there until January 2013. When I started lifting in January I couldn't do a single wide grip pull up and I steered clear of the squat rack completely. Last time I tried pull ups I managed to push 9 reps out and last week I did squats at 145kg for 5 reps. Pretty happy with that progress but always aiming higher.