• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How too protein

Coyote243

G'day I was just wondered when I should have the protein. At the moment I have a scoop after my work outs. Should I be having more or is that right.

Regards Mark

It's a pretty broad question, there's no right time, as long as you hit your total for the day it doesn't matter, have it when it suits you

Shouldn't matter as long as you diet is right throughout the day, however, I do like to have something to eat about 1hr before training and eat again within in a hour of training for nothing else than too keep me from staving especially after training.

Okay thanks for that. How much should I take I guess is my ?. I'm 120 kgs at the moment. Read somewhere 1.5 grams to the pound. So that's about 396 grams a day to build mussel. How many steaks is that and how dose that affect weight loss.

Regards Mark

Okay thanks for that. How much should I take I guess is my ?. I'm 120 kgs at the moment. Read somewhere 1.5 grams to the pound. So that's about 396 grams a day to build mussel. How many steaks is that and how dose that affect weight loss.

Regards Mark

You won't need that much, it won't hurt you if you do, but it's not necessary..
A minimum of about 1.6g per KG will be enough, again, more wont hurt, but studies are showing that extra protein won't do anymore for you either

Yeah i think the general rule is 1g protein to 1 lb of body weight OR 1.5g per 1kg of body which works out to be about the same.

If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you were to get 200g of protein every day, lift heavy weights and consume less calories than you burn, you will lose fat and conserve muscle mass.

Nutrient timing is irrelevant when talking about weight loss.

Read somewhere 1.5 grams to the pound. So that's about 396 grams a day to build mussel. How many steaks is that and how dose that affect weight loss.

Regards Mark

36 grams per 100 grams of beef according to google
(google protein foods you get all sorts of charts and lists)

I often buy those little tins of tuna and eat them before a workout or jerky is my new thing to eat. Look on the back of the packaging it will tell you the protein, just remember it will say per serving and per package.

36 grams per 100 grams of beef according to google
(google protein foods you get all sorts of charts and lists)

I often buy those little tins of tuna and eat them before a workout or jerky is my new thing to eat. Look on the back of the packaging it will tell you the protein, just remember it will say per serving and per package.

All raw meats are in the 20-25g per 100g

Cooked is different depending on how it is cooked.

All raw meats are in the 20-25g per 100g

Cooked is different depending on how it is cooked.

Pretty much this..
The fat varies

But try not to get to caught up in micro managing, it won't make it any more effiencent, you'll just worry about stupid things

Does cooking make it go up or down ?

Cooking doesn't make it have more protein but when you cook stuff you usually cook a lot of the moisture out of it. So 150g of raw meat might weight 100g after it is cooked so the protein concentration is higher. This is why raw weights are much more accurate.

You won't need that much, it won't hurt you if you do, but it's not necessary..
A minimum of about 1.6g per KG will be enough, again, more wont hurt, but studies are showing that extra protein won't do anymore for you either

I've also read (can't remember if it was actually verified) but eating excess protein teaches your body to use the excess protein, that isn't stored in the muscles, for energy. Perhaps it's more broscience.

Anyway re your query - you may just find a difference in your recovery levels if you hammer in a good amount of protein/carbs PWO.

G'day I was just wondered when I should have the protein. At the moment I have a scoop after my work outs. Should I be having more or is that right.

I do 1.5 grams per kilo and I'm a similar weight to you, 110kg - I try to have minimum of 165 grams of protein.

Count your calories if you are trying to lose weight. I gained muscle whilst losing 20kg over 12 weeks myself purely from training and counting calories, no cardio.

Dude, just take creatine mono 5 gms every day.

There's a whole thread on creatine.

Just make sure 1. Your kidneys are healthy 2. You drink plenty of water. It is the fitness industry's silver bullet because it actually works, but it is not necessary. I would get on top of your protein intake, take a good fish oil and multivitamin. See how things go. When you want to step things up, start cycling creatine. Just remember, its sufficient not necessary. Consider your budget and health first :D