• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how to improve digestion and reduce acid reflux?

BoyFromAus

Hi guys

I hope the pros like Fadi or ppl who've worked things out in this area can give me some advice on this one. Sorry for the huge story but here it goes...

I by nature have a fairly weaker stomach. I'm lactose intolerant and got regular acid reflux as a kid.

I've recently upped my calories even more. I'm basically eating 7 meals a day. I am gaining in muscle size while maintaining fat levels except this increase in calories is perpetuating my stomach issues.

the meat in my meals consist of Lean steak, chicken mince, salmon and Tuna. Amongst that, I also have whole eggs in omlette form and whey protein shakes twice a day.

The carbs are of sweet potato and brown rice. Amongst this I have a lot of veggies.

Amongst this, i'm also eating nuts and beans as well as taking fish oil tablets.

Stomach acid refluxes are quite severe sometimes and i get a lot of burping / gas.

The thing is, when I was eating all this at about 3000 calories a day, I seemed fine. But then when i upped it to 3100 stomach pain started to occur and now at 3400 a day, it's getting worse.

I do work a fairly high pressure IT job so that also contributes to it most likely.

Is there anything I can do / take to improve absorption of nutrients as well as reducing the reflux?

thanks very much.

There is a quick fix and there is a gradual solution that is permanent. The quick fix would be for you to go to your local supermarket or chemist and buy whatever they're offering for heart burn and reflux Mylanta comes to mind or even 7 up!

I know, some crazy suggestions but they make millions (if not billions) of dollars to the drug companies.

A proper, long term/permanent solution is to overhaul your whole diet from beginning to end, something not too many individuals are willing to do.

How would you do it and where would you start?

You first need to educate yourself about the importance of living enzymes as opposed to the mostly dead enzymes that come from the dead food you're currently consuming.

If you have to eat dead food, then supplement it with enzymes to help with proper and full digestion. Stress plays a huge factor here (especially if there is food in your tummy when it occurs) because it slows digestions right down and sometimes it simply brings it to a screeching halt. Stress releases adrenaline, and we all know this powerhouse is a powerhouse in either a gym environment or in a fight or flight situation, none of these three criterias meet digestion of food (where an atmosphere of tranquility and a relaxed mind are optimum).

I mentioned dead, alive, and I also mentioned the word enzymes for which without we would be dead, and I mean D.E.A.D dead!

What has living enzymes Rasika?

RAW FOOD, that's what!

Like I said, what I'm prescribing for you here is not some band aid but rather a sustainable and long term solution to your problem. You've got to start introducing/including more raw food into your diet. A healthy diet is 80% alkaline as opposed to what we eat today, something like 80% acidic. All the bad stuff that makes us ill (even cancer cells) would not survive an alkaline environment, they and all sorts of bacteria, parasites etc love an acidic environment.

A while back now I mentioned something but I've got a feeling not many people on this forum took much notice of and that was carrot juice as a post workout drink. 1kg carrot juice right after training =52gm carbs and all the antioxidants by way of beta-carotene that you could ever dream of. Extremely easy to digest and yes, high on the glycimic index, (just what I’ve been recommending for a kick ass insulin spike) to drive/inject those crabs directly into your starving/craving/drooling muscles.

Okay, the above was just a hint of where I'd be going, I'll stop here and leave you with the thinking/pondering cap on...

Fadi.

A while back now I mentioned something but I've got a feeling not many people on this forum took much notice of and that was carrot juice as a post workout drink.

Dont worry mate, the 1st thing i did was drag out the old Champion 2000 juicer after i read what you had said. I find adding 3-4 apples and an orange helps with flavour

Dont worry mate, the 1st thing i did was drag out the old Champion 2000 juicer after i read what you had said. I find adding 3-4 apples and an orange helps with flavour

Way to go Champ. If by "helps with flavour" you intended meaning was sweetness, then one sachet of stevia won't go astray here at all, no Sir.

It's just great to know that someone (you JDizzle) has been paying some attention; thank you, I'm very much appreciative of that fact.

Fadi.

Just one quick note. When i used to be a butcher we added preserative to chicken mince. This in turn gave me reflux when I ate it. You will find the same preseratives in sausages and steakets as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just one quick note. When i used to be a butcher we added preserative to chicken mince. This in turn gave me reflux when I ate it. You will find the same preseratives in sausages and steakets as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting. I've been wondering what goes on with meat... I've been pondering whether meat is fresher from a supermarket because of high turnover or from the old school butcher because they have less capacity to store things for long periods.

Regarding the preservatives - are all/most other meats untreated? Also curious if there's any truth to the fact that supermarkets add some chemical to meat to give it better colour.