• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to Get large visible bicep veins

RamboWanaBe

My biceps and triceps are fairly large. Overall I have been training with weights for about 7.5 years.

But I lack really visual large bulging veins and arteries on my biceps. I have them on my forearms, hands feet and calves.

Last summer I lost a lot of fat and from 85kg to 75kg. I had a well defined 6 pack although it was obvious I needed to train my lower abs with some add resistance.

And yet still no really visual large bulging veins and arteries on my biceps.
I think it may have to do with the outer heads of my biceps. Has the peaks does not seem very high at all relative to the inner part of the biceps.

Can anyone suggest why and what I can do in bodybuilding sense to get those veins and arteries visible?

Also what would be a good peak/mass building routine for the bicep peaks.

You have to take into account genetics,blood pressure,thickness of the skin there is a whole bunch of other variables.

If you don't have those veins by now, maybe the ony way to get them is with surgery, it has to be a genetic feature.

What height are you as this gives a better indication on how much weight you are carrying. It depends from individual to individual. Some of the Nrl players who are around the 12-15% bodyfat mark have pronounced definition in their arms but buggerall in the midsections. Take a look at Bruce Lee and boxers like Anthony Mundine or Jeff Fenech in his last fight that is what definition is all about. Bruce Lee may look a little extreme to some but if you are talking about real definition these guys definitely have it. Lots of cardio, checkout Crossfit that has some great routines which will really cut you up. Give kettlebells or Bodypump ago or Rpm. Don't get overconcerned on building bulk, it is far better to stay lean all the time, it really comes down to good nutrition which very often is around 85-90% of the equation.:)

Don't get overconcerned on building bulk, it is far better to stay lean all the time, it really comes down to good nutrition which very often is around 85-90% of the equation.:)

Fitnation, can you explain what you mean by this?

Why is it better to stay lean all the time?
If you are not yet the size you want to be, won't it be extremely difficult to add muscular size while very lean?

My Height is 172-175 cm.

Yeah I guess genetics does come into it, but I still think its possible. Under the bathroom light after a good workout I can see them under my skin, especially in my chest and shoulder regions. But I have seen beginners after 3 months pumping get really visible bicep veins, like the nrl players. I have a suspicion that I need higher bicep peaks to push them up. But I don't seem to be able to grow them easily even, I have tried prioritizing workouts for them but I must be doing something wrong.

CrossFit does sound good but at the moment, because its winter, I try to focus on growth. At the moment I have been focusing on quads and gluts.

Anyway here are my stats on the 3/2/08
Height: 172 - 175cm, Weight: 78kg
chest relaxed: 101cm, chest expanded: 106cm, Neck: 38cm, Right Bicep :39cm, Left Bicep: 39cm, left forearm: 32cm, right forearm: 32cm, left wrist :17.5cm, right wrist: 17.5cm, left thigh: 59cm, right thigh: 60cm, left calf: 38cm, right calf: 39 cm, waist high: 81cm, waist low: 89cm, hips: 94cm

You guys are both around my height so I can understand where you guys are coming from as opposed to someone who is much taller who may require more size because of their frame. Bodybuilding or Bodysculpting are the same thing and it is pretty much an optical illusion thing much of the time. I would say 78 kg at your height isn't too bad a size, but if you are looking at developing definition while getting bigger think more in terms of how you look in front of the mirror as opposed to what the scales tell you. There are countless guys like you who will missguidedly just aim to weigh 100 kg and not give a dame what they look like. Say for example you guys were going in a bodybuilding competetion it would be typical of someone your build to compete in the Under 70 kg or at a bodyweight somewhere under 75 kg. That is the bodyweight range which on stage will show the most definition. Going for more bulk will make you look big in your clothes or tank top and strong in your lifts. Size is very often in the head. There are many bodybuilders who suffer from a condition called body dismorphia and these guys may have 20 inch arms but think they are only 12 inch arms.:confused::)

Yeah I agree with you. December last year I got down to 75kg. I was aiming to go lower but I started training a friend who was a beginner and lost focus. Now I am aiming to place as much size on as possible before mid November and then trim off the fat. At the moment I am focusing on legs because I never really focused on them before and I think they got room to grow. But if someone has a good bicep routine they recommend, specially for the peaks then I will give that a go as well.

To a large degree bicep shape is genetically determined. Some guys have a rounded bicep while others have a very peaked bicep. Cocentration curls are great when performed slowly at shaping the peak. I can't give you one particular bicep workout as it is a good idea to change routines every 4-6 weeks to keep the muscles guessing. Pickup a copy of a fitness magazine they usually have some good ones, but always change routines. Barbell curls are great for mass and shape, but it is best to be meticulous with your form as this is really what aids you in shaping the muscle. I do Bodypump a couple days per week and while I don't train for mass anymore I can tell you that the Bicep tracks in these workouts are full on. It is often better to have a well defined 14 inche arm than just 17 inche arms which are just bulky. Posing will help to improve definition, ask any bodybuilder who has a few titles under their belts. They spend hours on posing.;)

Yeah I have concentration curls seem the go. What rep and set combination do you think is the best.

I have heard tried 4 sets of 6. For every bicep exercise but I don't think this was the best idea.

Do you think 5 sets of 6, 8, 8, 10, 12 is the go? possibly doing more reps on the last set or do you think its better to go 12, 10, 8, 8, 6?

5 sets at different reps is new to me previously I always trained like 4 x 6 or 3 x 8.

In M&F they also recommend for peaks to do close grip curls but how close is close since I find my triceps start to come into then?

Also for size, how many days a week for the biceps would you recommend assuming I do 3-4 excercises per training session on them?
I read in Arnies book every second day.

Once or twice per week. Add some variey. Maybe 1 bodypart per day or train 2 times per day. By changing routines every month to 6 weeks is enough to keep the body guessing. Have you considered supplement stacking for size? When I was training for size I used to use some great stacks which included Hmb, Tribilus, Creatine and Zinabol. It was a good way to add good quality size. Each stack lasted about 6 weeks. The company was called Pro-Soma. I used to order through them and they were very prompt with delivery. They still send me newsletters. They stock Sports Pharma products.

save yourself some money and ditch glutamine. It's been proven not to benefit healthy fit people. Its main effects of building and retaining muscle have only been seen in people with disease or recovering from serious injury.

Interesting. Many of the protein shakes out there can be made at home with your own ingredients from a blender. Places like Boost make some good shakes as well. You often have to watch out for people in gyms who are simply trying to sell product rather than giving you constructive advice. I can relate to guys who may need to bulk up. At the moment I train simply for definition and to stay at a good bodyweight which is pretty easy. If I was to play rugby or league for example someone of my height which is 5''8 would need to be playing at the very least at around 76 kg and over. Instead of concentrating on mass for the sake of mass I think it is important to concentrate on power to weight ratio. Being strong for your size is often more important than simply packing on the kilous for the sake of it. If you look at Olympic weightlifers you will very often find they are carrying very little mass and on average have bodyfat levels around the 5% mark. The vast majority of bodybuilders struggle to get their weight down for shows. I personally favour staying at a good weight consistantly. Who cares about looking skinny in your clothes, it is far more important in my view to look cut when your shirt comes off.:)

I reckon some of the old bodybuilding magazines are the best for articles on training. I mean way back to the early 1900s and World War 2 as they trained far more naturally and utalised equipment which in some circles is making a come back. They didn't rely on supplements as they made their own protein drinks. The photos of the physiques are not digitally enhanced either, far more realistic role models.

save yourself some money and ditch glutamine. It's been proven not to benefit healthy fit people. Its main effects of building and retaining muscle have only been seen in people with disease or recovering from serious injury.

Where did you hear that?

Muscle and Fitness magazine swears by it and I personally found it extremely useful in obtaining my six-pack as I was on a strict restricted calorie counting diet, bike riding 90 minutes a day (45min morning, 45 mins afternoon) and taking a lot of caffine.

If I was not taking glutamine then I seriously reckon my overall muscle loss would have been significant.

I reckon some of the old bodybuilding magazines are the best for articles on training. I mean way back to the early 1900s and World War 2 as they trained far more naturally and utalised equipment which in some circles is making a come back. They didn't rely on supplements as they made their own protein drinks. The photos of the physiques are not digitally enhanced either, far more realistic role models.

Yeah true but I'm not a fan of raw eggs taste even if it is mixed with flaxseed oil, honey and milk.

Where did you hear that?

Muscle and Fitness magazine swears by it and I personally found it extremely useful in obtaining my six-pack as I was on a strict restricted calorie counting diet, bike riding 90 minutes a day (45min morning, 45 mins afternoon) and taking a lot of caffine.

If I was not taking glutamine then I seriously reckon my overall muscle loss would have been significant.

Science: Glutamine and muscle mass

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/146531/T16.10Glutamine.pdf

And lastly, from another forum (bodybuilding.com):

"The purpose was to determine if glutamine supplementation would prevent a loss of lean mass in athletes during a 12-day weight reduction program. It was hypothesized that supplementation would spare lean body mass. Subjects (n=18) exercised and dieted to create a 4186kJ·day-1 energy deficit and a 8372 kJ·day-1 energy deficit on days 1-5, days 6-12, respectively. The glutamine (GLN) group (n=9) ingested 0.35 g·kg-1 body mass of glutamine while a placebo was administered to the remaining subjects. Body mass (BM), lean body mass (LBM) and fat mass (FM), were measured at days 0, 6, and 12. GLN and placebo groups both lost significant amounts of BM, LBM and FM. There were no significant differences between groups. The findings indicate little benefit for retention of lean mass with supplementation of glutamine during a short-term weight reduction program.

Glutamine supplementation did not benefit athletes during short-term
weight reduction
Kevin, J. Finn, Robin Lund and Mona Rosene-Treadwell
http://www20.uludag.edu.tr/%7Ehakan/...4/7/v2n4-7.htm"