• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to choose a protein powder?

mike_nofx

Hoping someone can give some advice on what I need to be looking at when choosing a protein powder.

Basically I'm a beginner, about 6 months of serious lifting, I'm trying to lose a bit of fat before starting a bulk.

All I need (at least all I think I need) is a protein powder to bring up my total daily protein intake for the day, so I'm not overeating to reach it with actual food.

So am I right in assuming that any high protein, low carb powder will do. That is, the best "$ to protein content".

At the moment I'm using VitalStrength High Protein, which I get for $85.99 for 3kg Vitalstrength Total Protein Plus Everyday All-In-One Protein

Do I need to be concerned with WPI, WPC etc? or does it really not matter so much.. for me.

I have no allergies, and not so fussed about taste.

Thanks

I have recently switched to WPI, but I would say you can get away with WPC if it's only to boost your daily intake. I would recommend No Bull Supplements for value and taste, they have a good range.

I look for a couple of things when choosing a new protein. % per 100g and cost per serve. I use a blended protein which has whey,casein, and egg at 85% and its about $1.60 per serve. That Total protein you use looks like its only about 72%.

I'm getting skeptical with all these dodgy companies opening up. Who the hell knows what's in them these day? At least with the big well established brands you know what's in it.

I'm opening up my own company soon:

Ridgey Didge Supplements

I'm getting skeptical with all these dodgy companies opening up. Who the hell knows what's in them these day? At least with the big well established brands you know what's in it.

Ridgey Didge Supplements

And for the prices they are putting them out for just seems too low. I'd say were getting duped with milk powder.

Ridgey Didge Supplements

Is that referring to No Bull, or Vital Strength? (or both!)

Remember that supplements are not regulated like drugs by the governing bodies so manufacturers can make claims that are "half real" and put it on the label.

Anyway to choose a good protein powder look at the ingredients and check the g of protein per 100g and check that there's only traces of fat and carbs with them.
Then compare different prices.

Second No Bull

Just got choc peanut, so fucking tasty

I went with No Bull WPI, and took your advice on choc peanutbutter
Love the taste and it mixes well. Also got a bag of choc coconut.

90.6g protein (from memory) per 100g. It's advertised as 93g, not sure why, maybe that's for unflavoured? But 90+ is still pretty good.

Would also recommend this now!

I would almost always recommend WPC as it's cheaper, sure you get less protein and more carbs but it's fairly negligible. The only time I've switched to WPI is in the last stages of a pre contest diet, under 10% bodyfat and counting every single gram of fats and carbs.

With No Bull it works out basically the same price per gram of pure protein.

For a 1kg bag it's $27.99 for WPC. Works out at $3.44 per 100g of pure protein (81.3%)
It's $32.99 for WPI, or $3.54 per 100g pure protein (93%)

With No Bull it works out basically the same price per gram of pure protein.

For a 1kg bag it's $27.99 for WPC. Works out at $3.44 per 100g of pure protein (81.3%)
It's $32.99 for WPI, or $3.54 per 100g pure protein (93%)

Ha never actually worked that out, interesting. I was just buying wpi for better range of flavours.

Scoop of choc peanut and a tiny splash of milk, good size lump of ice cream. Stick mixer till till mixed.

So fucking delicous.

To date only bad flavour I've had from NB was coffee which was vile all tge others have been g2g.