• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much water weight can you lose in sauna?

lol guys :) Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the rules. There are sound reasons (as stated) why they were introduced. At nationals and internationals, I reckon rules should be strict.

It's just me a novice lifter learning the rope in one of the "fun" parts of the sports that is making weight...

You should be able to lose 2kg with no dramas at all, without worrying about losing strength from lifting in a depleted state.

I've never tried the sauna right b4 comp though as i always feel really weak and shit after the sauna. I tend to do it the night before, so that way if i make weight easy, i can then eat a little or drink a little, or if i still need to lose a bit more i get up early to try and piss it out.

So much for the lifters being the show.

Is football for the footballers? Is cricket all about the cricketers? To what extent do we say, 'but it's about the lifters'? If we go to the nth degree, perhaps Ben Cousins should still be playing football. He's a good footballer. But in the end, it's not all about the footballers.

If there aren't strict rules, procedures and guidelines to follow - then it isn't a professional sport. It would be more like backyard cricket.

There's been a lot of talk about Nazi's, 'stupid' this, 'stupid' that - completely non-productive. As has been said - no one is forced into the fed they join.

Structure here is the key - in the sport, in the rules, in the training.

No issue with this - if you can't make weight, you have problems. FWIW, I've seen lifters move up a class once it became apparent that they couldn't win the class they nominated for. Must be a pretty hollow victory.

If your forced into a weight class then its not fun.
If its not fun, then find a better federation.

If I miss a weight class I compete in a heavier one :)

No issue with this - if you can't make weight, you have problems. FWIW, I've seen lifters move up a class once it became apparent that they couldn't win the class they nominated for. Must be a pretty hollow victory.
how is it a hollow victory?

HE IS STRONGER THAN THE OTHER LIFTER

@Dancelot

Brother, you'll get down easy. I've had to do this a few times before, and also for 3 years when I used to row.
Ideally you don't want to drop weight 2 days out (your body won't be 100%, but i'll tell you how to get as close as poss to it at the end of this), but thats the situation you're in so we'll deal with it.

Like someone said earlier - its all about fluid intake.
Don't stave yourself, you'll still hold water weight, and energy levels will be zapped.

Whens the comp? Sat? do you no how much you lose overnight (ie, weigh yourself just b4 bed, and weigh urself first thing in the morning after taking a leak). this could be anything from 500g to 3kgs. Test it tonight (ideally you'd do it over a week and find an average), but that number will be what you have to play with.

Then you'll cut fluids starting tomorow arvo (if teh comp is sat)

Eat a normal breakfast, and around lunch time weigh yourself again, say your're 85kgs and u loose 800g over night, you'll only have to drop 1.2kgs. Which will be of water; and easy to do!

So for the rest of the arvo pretty much eliminate fluids. Maybe a sip here and there, depending on your weight in the evening you may be able to have a small glass. But cut it all out if you have to.
Eat a standard meal at dinner - you can play around with carbs (as carbs retain water in the muscle cells/liver) BUT you're close enough to 83 that you shouldn't need to do this. Just no fluids, or saucy/oily/watery foods (lol don't have soup)

The lack of fluids, plus the lost weight over night, should drop that 2kgs.

Then you want to get to the weigh in venue as early as poss - so you can be the first to weigh in.

If you can bear it, or if its possible (time wise) go weigh in and then come back to feed/rehrydate.
If thats not possible, then depending on your weight and how you feel in the morning, you may be able to have a small feed - think calorie dense (anything from sum nuts, to a mini shake with coconut cream, whey, and creatine - if you're worried don't take in any carbs at this time) but it must be small (weight wise). Have a multivit, and have some no-doz (caffeine) to help wake you up and suppress the hunger pangs (especially if u usually rely on breakfast). Take a piss, and sh1t. Do it again once you get to the venue.

I reckon if you do all this, worst case you'll be 200g over (strip to bare essentials). and if you've got there early, you'll have anything from 60-120mins to reweigh (find out). so just force it out in the toilet!!

THEN, as soon as you've made weight you need to eat and refuel.

You may have to start warming up in less than 60mins (once again, find out, prepare), so find something you'll be able to stomach. Ie, don't eat a fried breaky if you no it'll sit in your gut all day!! Just include some simple carbs. This is a personal thing, i no i'm good with oats and milk and can lift 20mins later. my mate would spew it all up on the other hand.

BUT, def down about a litre of water (you'll want it) with a powerade or even better 2 cans of coconut water (health shop - natures isotonic drink!)

but then remember that will need to be digested, so you don't want to be bloated. And make sure you have some plain water and not all sports drinks. Powerade is a tad too sugary and salty (electrolytes) so you body actually has to dilute it in the gut - you don't want this as you don't have the spare water. So drink plain water with it.

Then sit. Do minimal moving until you have to - if you're walking, blood that could be used by the stomach/intestines/liver etc to assist in digestion is being diverted to the leg muscles instead. thats why time is the critical factor.
oh, and stay out of the sun, don't get hot (you don't want to be sweating - until warmup time anyway)

keep sipping fluids throughout the day (you may not be fully rehydrated until bench or even deadlift time). try get your piss clear.
Take more caffeine as well, i've read studies that say you need ALOT of caffeine in the system to cause a diuretic effect so don't let that worry you.

then go smash some PB's!!

JUST STAY AWAY FROM A SAUNA! you will lose to much and will feel like shit all day.

Sorry one more thing, since i put a bit of info in there, i may aswell explain the bit about carbs incase someone else refers to this.

If you REALLY need to get down weight wise you can eliminate carbs from the diet (ie, 24hrs out) BUT its best to avoid this (ie diet 4 weeks out or something!!!)

The logic is that the carbs retain water when they're stored as glycogen in the msucles cell or livers cell. So you cut carbs out AND water and its like playing with two dials instead of just the one. the downside is that if your muscles are depleted of glycogen then they're not fully fueled. I no powerlifting isn't an endurance sport.... but come 3rd lift of your deadlift, this kind of thing can make a MASSIVE difference (even 3rd lift of the squat).
And it also means you have to try replenish both WATER and CARBS in your small window between weigh in and warmup.which you don't want to put your body through (esp if you've trained the last 12months for this comp!! you'd want to be at 100% right?!)

this is why ppl on low carb diets will drop a few kgs in the first week or two - water loss. And used the other way around, what marathon runners and even bodybuilders do before a comp - do cram the glycogen into the muscle stores (for energy for the runners, or to create a fuller more solid look for BBers).

Don't ever think nutrition isn't a big part of sport!!

I'm going to bed now haha

Fantastic posts, fergie, thanks a lot, mate!

I went dancing a bit earlier to get my mind off this bloody making weight crap, and went from 85.35kg (pre-dinner) to 84.20kg (post-dinner, post dancing)! I think I'll make weight just fine! I usually lose 400~600g after 8h of sleep. Will have a normal breakfast and eliminate fluids after lunch.

Sauna and laxatives will be plan B and plan C. :p

The info on foods & drinks on comp day post weigh-in is a beauty, thanks again!

PA make rules on the run.

Weigh in rule for TV viewing.

I just checked my TV guide, no coverage of this comp.

Then mindless minions pipe up "Its in the rules"

Last time I checked, so was using talc.

Rules on the run with zero consideration for the lifter.

Dont understand your football analogy Aaron. Are you being stupid. Do you know anything about football? They have an AFLPA so the AFL dont dictate.

I thought Cousins was allowed to retire. The AFLPA made sure he WAS able to play.

Good luck to ALL lifter and I hope you ALL set PB's

it is impossible to lose 1 kg during several hours even if it is water
Huh?

Is that suppose to be a question or a statement?

Because if it is a statement, you are wrong. I and many other people on this forum have successfully proved this statement false.

In fact give me an hour and i can lose 2kg for ya.

Last edited:
PA make rules on the run.

Weigh in rule for TV viewing.

I just checked my TV guide, no coverage of this comp.

Then mindless minions pipe up "Its in the rules"

Last time I checked, so was using talc.

Rules on the run with zero consideration for the lifter.

Dont understand your football analogy Aaron. Are you being stupid. Do you know anything about football? They have an AFLPA so the AFL dont dictate.

I thought Cousins was allowed to retire. The AFLPA made sure he WAS able to play.

Good luck to ALL lifter and I hope you ALL set PB's

Its nationals FFS.

If you're competing at that level you you have your shit together enough to know what weigth class you're going to be in 3 weeks out.

Talc was a venue issue not a PA one.

Sorry one more thing, since i put a bit of info in there, i may aswell explain the bit about carbs incase someone else refers to this.

If you REALLY need to get down weight wise you can eliminate carbs from the diet (ie, 24hrs out) BUT its best to avoid this (ie diet 4 weeks out or something!!!)

The logic is that the carbs retain water when they're stored as glycogen in the msucles cell or livers cell. So you cut carbs out AND water and its like playing with two dials instead of just the one. the downside is that if your muscles are depleted of glycogen then they're not fully fueled. I no powerlifting isn't an endurance sport.... but come 3rd lift of your deadlift, this kind of thing can make a MASSIVE difference (even 3rd lift of the squat).
And it also means you have to try replenish both WATER and CARBS in your small window between weigh in and warmup.which you don't want to put your body through (esp if you've trained the last 12months for this comp!! you'd want to be at 100% right?!)

this is why ppl on low carb diets will drop a few kgs in the first week or two - water loss. And used the other way around, what marathon runners and even bodybuilders do before a comp - do cram the glycogen into the muscle stores (for energy for the runners, or to create a fuller more solid look for BBers).

Don't ever think nutrition isn't a big part of sport!!

I'm going to bed now haha

Mate glycogen is your primary energy source but not the only.... I live in ketosis 90% of the year and would happily argue the fact ketones is just as effective source of energy as glycogen...

There is always more then one way......I rarely eat carbs yet eat 7 meals a day of protein/fats/fibres and can confidently say im more conditioned and would out endure 99% of powerlifters/bodybuilders for that matter... Glycogen is no the be all and end all... It is important for marathon runners and those sorts of athletes but strength athletes even football codes can happily perform at the highest level on a zero carb diet.

@180sx Kid.

I actually also follow a similar diet, where I don't take in any carbs during the day until about half way through a workout (usually about 6pm) and I'm fine for 70% of the workout, I just find to get me through the workout at 100% i need SOME sugars haha.

And research backs what you say in terms of performance, a cross country skiier won gold at the olympics on a no carb diet leading up to the games.

But as I said to Dancelot - for the 2kgs hes looking to drop, I'd do it through fluids alone and keep all other variables consistent. BUT if someone was to look at dropping more weight, AND they generally consumed carbs at all times of the day, then another method would be to eliminate carbs for extra weight loss (maybe even doing this a few days out, having the body completely switch to ketosis).

Dancelot - let me no how you go with your weigh in and your lifts tomorrow man.

Cheers

Kelly, Sarah_Ming is like a spambot on this forum, don't bother with her.

I was 84.0 this morning. Looking promising!

Thanks everyone, will update on weigh-in and lifts tomorrow. :) I'll be opening within +/- 2.5kg of my previous PBs so here's hoping I smash a few then!