• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much water weight can you lose in sauna?

This is one of those rules that was needed at International level to help with organising TV Coverage etc. It was unanimously approved at IPF congress at 2010 worlds.
"what few attempts at media coverage were made often thwarted when whoever would say to TV guy “so & so is lifting at 2.oo Saturday, that is unless he lifts Friday or maybe that will be Sunday, can you keep your cameras here for three days?”.

For multisport events like World and Pacific Games, the IPF needed to be able to present fixed schedules and to stop nations manipulating & devaluing medals by switching lifters into empty classes 15 minutes before weigh-in

If you have all the entry's 21 days out, then you know exactly how many in each flight and can set accurate start times for events.
Without this you might have TV coverage ( more likely live streaming ) organised for a 14 lifter division, then 1 lifter from a lighter division decides to dodge a strong competitor then suddenly the 15 lifters needs 2 flights, and delays the division after.

At national level lifters should be able to accurately estimate their bodyweight.

You know how you can be over weight by 100gms, pretty sure you can be UNDER the limit by 100gms. Not sure there is a 15kg gap between classes either, but fuck, nothing would surprise me in Hitlerville

Nothing like an exaggeration hey big fella.
if you were 111 why would you enter as a 125? youd just enter as a 110 and drop a kilo. if you entered as a 125 and came in at 109.9 you deserve to be disqualified for stupidity

anyway its a retarded rule

sieg heil!!!

I'll double check about this rule tonight. I can see why dropping down a weight class would be problematic as mentioned above, but not going up. It's not like at, say, 83.2kg, I suddenly become a huge threat to the guys in the 93kg class (esp that Matt Middleton, Scott Hill and the likes are lifting). :p

I think I'll make weight somewhat comfortably, but it's always good to have a Plan B.

Next comp I'll either get to 80kg ripped or bulk up to 90kg with some room to spare, so I don't have to do this stupid making weight shit again!

Just get ripped and huge......

I dont see why its such a big deal.

Plan which weight class you're going to compete in and make sure you can make the weight.

i don't see why this is such a big problem

you train a cycle for a comp
12-16 weeks out you know what weight class you are in
you eat towards that accordingly

you should be a few kilos over weight during your training cycle
and drop weight during deload

100grams is just 20 minutes of spitting

experienced lifters like DJ might drop 2-4 kilos in the morning

its all part of the game

more dimensions the better the outcome

reason it is enforced is because of big payouts

fiji floods all the light weight classes with lifters for that very reason

My mate and I were sitting in the sauna some time ago, every Saturday morning after a workout.
Now this is true.
We joked how excellent it would be if two Swedish back~packers wearing white bikinis should happen to join us, we'd been in there for roughly twenty minutes, we decided we would get out, just as we were getting out, two girls walked in one wearing a white bikini, the other one had yellow short shorts and a white top, we decided to stay a tad longer.

I'm with NPR.

Pick a weight class you can sensibly make. Ensure you qualify. It's not that hard.

It acts as a disincentive to those who:
(a) want to attempt ridiculous last minute weight losses knowing that if they can't make they can always nominate in the heavier weight class at the technical meeting; or
(b) size up their competitors and switch to an emptier class. I was speaking to a lifter about this situation happening at last year's Oceania. Bunch of lifters were discussing life and training and one of them, presumably realising he couldn't match it in the heavier class, the next day nominated a lower weight class, managed to make it, went on and I think won.

If you allow that kind of gamesmanship it makes a mockery out of having the weight divisions to begin with. It should just be about who is the strongest.

In any case, if you're 100 grams overweight, it's not like you miss out on competiting automatically - you just try to lose 100 grams and quick. Rarely do lifters just nominate for the higher weight class, because if they knew they were better off in the higher class they would have nominated it to begin with. In reality if lifters are a bit over at weigh-in, they'll do what it takes to make weight. Seen plenty of people 100 grams overweight at weigh-in having to spit into buckets etc to make weight and compete. It used to happen all the time under the old rules and it will happen under the new rules.

You guys are missing the point

Its Dancers comment that he WONT be allowed to lift if he weighs 83.1kg

So much for the lifters being the show.

More fucking rules by dictators to suit themselves, not the lifter.

The lifter appears to be an irrelevant distraction in the IPF, why not just get rid of them altogether.

Did I mention Sean Bostock is lifting on Sunday at the Southern States. He reckons he'll make weight lol

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point

Its Dancers comment that he WONT be allowed to lift if he weighs 83.1kg

So much for the lifters being the show.

More fucking rules by dictators to suit themselves, not the lifter.

The lifter appears to be an irrelevant distraction in the IPF, why not just get rid of them altogether.

Did I mention Sean Bostock is lifting on Sunday at the Southern States. He reckons he'll make weight lol

Im with you markos. Say a lifter did think he had a better chance in a lighter or heavier division and he gained or cut down weight at the last minute (which would hardly be ideal) if he's the stronger man on the day than good for him. Strongest should win regardless of silly rules.

its only nationals and internationals

local and states you can jump around

hurdles should be there
its part of the sport
lifters at worlds have been dropping weight since its inception
this rule just enforces it

it doesn't affect anyone, except those that wish to get payouts

if a lifter misses weight say 74
and comes in at 74.5
he is at a disadvantage anyway, but it screws up the schedule for lifters that dedicated themselves
and disadvantages the weight class he missed by not allowing the same time between attempts

If i was going to lift at a comp with stupid rules like that i think i'd have to over-compensate what weight class to enter and if i wasn't heavy enough on the day hide a few lead sinkers in my pockets.

If i was going to lift at a comp with stupid rules like that i think i'd have to over-compensate what weight class to enter and if i wasn't heavy enough on the day hide a few lead sinkers in my pockets.

Didnt you know they have the Gestapo doing full body searches and a thorough interrogation using soviet russia torture techniques before your allowed to lift?