• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much sleep do we need?

I get about 6-6.5 hours during the week and about 7.5 on the weekend. I'd love 7.5 during the week but I seem to function pretty good on 6

I am currently a study in how much sleep NOT to have.

Been working through to 3AM the last few nights (back up at 6AM). Knew feeling tired etc isn't a good way to go into a training session, but last night I was millleeessss of being able to lift what I normally do. Was really surprised at the extent! Really felt like going was a waste of time.

The learning for me is when seriously sleep deficient, am probably better off not training and actually grabbing an hour or two extra rest, than training am feeling weak and perhaps not getting much benefit from it.

I am currently a study in how much sleep NOT to have.

Been working through to 3AM the last few nights (back up at 6AM). Knew feeling tired etc isn't a good way to go into a training session, but last night I was millleeessss of being able to lift what I normally do. Was really surprised at the extent! Really felt like going was a waste of time.

The learning for me is when seriously sleep deficient, am probably better off not training and actually grabbing an hour or two extra rest, than training am feeling weak and perhaps not getting much benefit from it.

So true. Just getting a few good nights' sleep makes a world of difference to your training. I actually find it makes a difference to the little things.
If I get sufficient sleep, I never have grip issues with deadlifts. If I'm really tired, bang. Grip goes halfway through a set.

Commonsense really. Yes, it's probably not worth training if you're really sleep deprived. Rest up first and then get back into it.

So true. Just getting a few good nights' sleep makes a world of difference to your training. I actually find it makes a difference to the little things.
If I get sufficient sleep, I never have grip issues with deadlifts. If I'm really tired, bang. Grip goes halfway through a set.

Commonsense really. Yes, it's probably not worth training if you're really sleep deprived. Rest up first and then get back into it.

You're right, the grip was the worst thing IMO, deadlifts were tough even at a lower weight to hang onto. Ended up strapping on some lat pulldowns too...

Sometimes we can get a bit too much "I have to train no matter what grrr", I personally thought training would be a good distraction, stress relief, get some endorphin's flowing etc... which for the most part it is, but its clear now that there is a point where this is outpointed by whatever your body is crying out for.

Same if you try to train starving ?

Sometimes we can get a bit too much "I have to train no matter what grrr", I personally thought training would be a good distraction, stress relief, get some endorphin's flowing etc

Yep coming to realise this more and more that I should just go get the sleep, or just go for a walk and then sleep.. that would be sensible and since when have I been sensible lol

You're right, the grip was the worst thing IMO, deadlifts were tough even at a lower weight to hang onto. Ended up strapping on some lat pulldowns too...

Sometimes we can get a bit too much "I have to train no matter what grrr", I personally thought training would be a good distraction, stress relief, get some endorphin's flowing etc... which for the most part it is, but its clear now that there is a point where this is outpointed by whatever your body is crying out for.

Yep totally!!

For me personally.

7 hours - zombie
8 hours - tired
9 hours - still unrefreshed
10 hours - good

yes it really sucks. i've seen a gp about it and haven't found any reasons yet. i was tested negative for sleep apnoea. thyroid stuff was checked and was fine. no luck so far. i'm unsure whether thats just me or if i indeed have a medical problem =/

For me personally.

7 hours - zombie
8 hours - tired
9 hours - still unrefreshed
10 hours - good

yes it really sucks. i've seen a gp about it and haven't found any reasons yet. i was tested negative for sleep apnoea. thyroid stuff was checked and was fine. no luck so far. i'm unsure whether thats just me or if i indeed have a medical problem =/

Get your blood count done when you are feeling wrecked and see what your hemoglobin (spelling??) is like. If it's low it can fuck up your energy levels real bad.

I might need to look into it too, I'm always tired....I could sleep 12 hours at night, but could basically go to sleep on command any time of the day....

some people need more sleep than others. i can't sleep for 10 hours or i feel sluggish the next day.

We're all different but each of us needs to get sufficient rest for our needs. that's the key!

6 hours does me nicely but any less and I turn zombie especially on 5 hours or less.
more than 8 hours and I'll feel tired the whole day

i agree with lex and choch
i can live on 5-6 hours (those with kids know what i mean, you just get used to it)
but once a fortnight ill need a good sleep-in...
anymore than 7-8 im tired all day, how does that work??

i usally get in 9 hours monday to friday.

thing is- il wake up for a squirt at say 4 30- 5am- be wide awake and buzzing

back to sleep and alarm rings at 7- and i feel like ive been run over by a train im so lathargic for a bit.

then weekends- im awake by 7 30 and usually cant get back to sleep GRRRRR

Anyone tried those apps that are meant to wake you up in/at a certian stage of sleep, before you hit REM sleep, so you don;t feel shitty.

Might be worth a shot (if they work)

I usually get around 7, 6 or 7 seems to work well, by the time the little fellas in bed and every other bastard is quiet and I finally get to go to sleep its usually about 9:30 and Ill get up anywhere from 2:30 to 5 depending on what shift I have.
I agree with posters above, if I sleep in too long on a day off I feel fucked up all day, usually wake up with a headache too so I try to avoid a sleep in.

8 hours through week, 9 hours on weekends, love my sleep... get as much as can_ without going to overboard.

some people need more sleep than others. i can't sleep for 10 hours or i feel sluggish the next day.

We're all different but each of us needs to get sufficient sleep for our needs. that's the key!

like.

Rest is overrated

It's sleep that we need to aid the recovery process.