• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much nuts is too much?

pistachio

Am thinking of upping my calories due to the fact that I think I am still getting leaner. While I probably need more carbs, I don't really want to start eating rice/bread/pasta etc.

Was thinking of increasing the nuts as that is probably the easiest way to load up the calories. I'm already eating a considerably amount of meat, so don't want to increase that.

Would 100g of nuts per day be too much? Or even more possible?

Will probably get smoked or roasted almonds cos they are so damn tasty.

Not even going to ask why you ain't going to eat those food types you listed :D

Why not drink more full fat milk? Cheap, easy. Or have nuts and milk, sorta like Santa :D

You simply ate too many calories then didn't ya.

Why not add 200 calories worth of rice or pasta or potato in? Will be the same as adding 200 calories of nuts in :)

Yes of course the nuts are fine.

so... you want more nuts ay? :D

You'd better believe it

You simply ate too many calories then didn't ya.

Why not add 200 calories worth of rice or pasta or potato in? Will be the same as adding 200 calories of nuts in :)

Yes of course the nuts are fine.

Well see that's the thing... I'm close to 4000 calories now and not much seems to be changing. While I ate a lot last year, I can't imagine I ate that much. And I did get fat, there is no doubt about it. So much so that it took nearly 6 months to lose it. And it's not like I've been super strict on my current diet anyway, there has been cheat days and high calorie food in there.

Just do as I said, add in 200 calories and adjust it if necessary in 2-3 weeks time. KISS principal bro.

Like max said its not the rice, pasta or what ever carbs that made you fat it was the excess calories.

I am sure you know this but eat what ever you want to make up the extra calories. I recommend choc ice cream which is scientifically proven to taste fucking awesome.

If you slowly up the calories untill you are putting on weight you won't get fat.

I know, I know, it just seems unlikely that I was averaging over 4000 calories a day last year... I was having the 10L of full cream milk a week though I guess.

I might just add more nuts because its cheap and its easy. And if you get smoked or roasted nuts, its tasty. I'll also probably substitute the low fat low sugar yoghurt for icecream instead. I don't want too much dairy in my diet, there is already 1L of skim milk in there.

I recommend choc ice cream which is scientifically proven to taste fucking awesome.

Lol

4000 calories a day is easy to do when you are not counting calories, especially on a bulk.

Few liters milk a day, Nuts, pasta with nice sauces, fatty meats. All have a shit load of calories that sneak up on ya. Meals can end up at a few thousand calories without even trying.

4000 calories a day is easy to do when you are not counting calories, especially on a bulk.

Few liters milk a day, Nuts, pasta with nice sauces, fatty meats. All have a shit load of calories that sneak up on ya. Meals can end up at a few thousand calories without even trying.

Especially with your mamas cooking. When I don't control calories I've found (by back calculating) that I can reach 4-5000 easily.

Edit: You also didn't control your macros back then either so you could have been short on protein compared to now (less efficiency in utilizing energy compared to carbs and fat.

Last edited:
I know we've heard the whole 4000 calories is 4000 calories regardless of source. But i am beginning to doubt this. I mean, if you had 4000 calories of veggies, surely you would get less weight gain then 4000 calories of maccas.

Because of:

a) all the fibre (not real calories here)
b) all the chewing / digestion etc

I agree that 4000 calories of USABLE calories is 4000 calories regardless of source, but it seems logical that you can get less bang for your buck so to speak from certain foods.

Does this seem right?

Cos seriously, nearly 4000 calories clean and i'm not even sure if I'm gaining....

I know we've heard the whole 4000 calories is 4000 calories regardless of source. But i am beginning to doubt this. I mean, if you had 4000 calories of veggies, surely you would get less weight gain then 4000 calories of maccas.

Because of:

a) all the fibre (not real calories here)
b) all the chewing / digestion etc

I agree that 4000 calories of USABLE calories is 4000 calories regardless of source, but it seems logical that you can get less bang for your buck so to speak from certain foods.

Does this seem right?

Cos seriously, nearly 4000 calories clean and i'm not even sure if I'm gaining....

Your forgetting Marcos. 4000 cal of veggies is going to have heaps different ratio of macros compared to 4000 cal of Maccas.

As Bazza said, meet your daily macro requirements first then consume the rest of your cals from what you like..
Was it 2gm / kg of protein and 0.8 gm of fat / kg...????

Also Pistach if your not gaining at 4000 eat 4200 a day. I was cutting on 4000 a day not long a go.

Fadi said when he was oly training he was eating 15000 Cals a day and not gaining. I read somewhere that some top level athletes in full training were eating 10000 Cals and still losing weight. You obviously need to eat more.

And it depends on what you have at Maccas too. 4000 of fries vs 4000 of double cheeseburgers is a huge macro difference specifically protein which in turn would make a huge body comp difference.

Once again the macro's have come up which was one of my main points before.

Remember also that focussing on too narrow a list of foods is unlikely to help you keep the fat at bay. Even nuts with predominantly good fats, will pile on the body fat if you are taking in too much.

Avoid rice/pasta/bread if you really must, but include some sweet potato and quinoa to get some extra good carbs and some extra protein (quinoa is a seed and is high in protein and can be used in place of rice/pasta).
maybe also try a little tahini, chickpeas etc. They're all good options to increase your calorie intake without compromising your lean gain goals.

Your forgetting Marcos. 4000 cal of veggies is going to have heaps different ratio of macros compared to 4000 cal of Maccas.

Nah thats not my point.

What I'm saying is that 100 calories of veggies vs 100 calories of some dirty food (with the same ratio of macros) will probably result in less NET calories, due to all the fibre in the veggies (and the higher volume of veggies requiring more chewing, digestion etc etc)

Also Pistach if your not gaining at 4000 eat 4200 a day. I was cutting on 4000 a day not long a go.

Fadi said when he was oly training he was eating 15000 Cals a day and not gaining. I read somewhere that some top level athletes in full training were eating 10000 Cals and still losing weight. You obviously need to eat more.

Yeah fair point, looks like I'll just have to keep increasing it. Nuts are probably the easiest choice.