• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much do you pay for gym membership?

Just got a $99 deal for 3 months in Perth. Gym is actually pretty decent, but around a 10min drive away.

Once this expires i'm pretty sure they wont offer me anything half decent, so intending to join a gym down the road for about $550 for 12mths.

Quite a few gyms in my area, so the competition is pretty good. I know a few gyms in the Perth CBD wanting $1000 a year.

Where is the $550 one?

Craige Leisure centre, that is gym only and no classes. If you want to use the pool, spa, sauna think it's more around the $700 mark.

I have a fitness first gold membership and it costs $22/fortnight. I got some deal 3-4 years ago for friends of staff.

As much as fitness first can be annoying their equipment is good and I have moved houses a few times and have always had a gym within 5 minutes.

Also I train at Kings Cross and you need a gold membership there and to sign up now they want $100-120/mo last time I checked with a contract.

Very Exxy!

Last edited:
Im starting to use my gym only for the cardio room :S

Bench press, Squats and dead lifts I can only do at home because the weights section of the gym is taken up by the bigger guys 24/7. I can still use the dumb-bells but I dont really see the point as I have killer dumb-bells at home.

I dont regret getting the membership but I think I will review if i really need it when it runs out in November. Maybe I should start saving now for a Stationary bike!

I just joined Next Generation at Memorial Drive. It's 90 a month because theres some corporate deal or something with employees of SAPOL... worked out pretty good for me.

Paying $30 a month at a great gym in Western Sydney. Huge $30 discount for students from the area. And the gym has everything you need.

Im starting to use my gym only for the cardio room :S

Bench press, Squats and dead lifts I can only do at home because the weights section of the gym is taken up by the bigger guys 24/7. I can still use the dumb-bells but I dont really see the point as I have killer dumb-bells at home.

I dont regret getting the membership but I think I will review if i really need it when it runs out in November. Maybe I should start saving now for a Stationary bike!

Not a bad idea. Considering the cost of 3 or 4 pieces of cardio equipment for home, maintaining it etc. You can just arrive, use the treadmill,bike,rower, eliptic of the gym and walk away.

I have my own gear at home but once it all starts to get worn down I might choose your path.

$54 a month.

However, that's a whole centre, so for that we get the gym itself, pool and group classes. I only use the gym but that's not their fault ;)

Most gyms in Melbourne for non-students are $1,000+ annually. You'll find that they do not put their fees on their websites - they don't want you to shop around, they want you to ring up or visit so they can give you the hard sell.

I have worked in a gym as a sales person. If they listed their prices on their website, no one would ever join. The price would keep them away most of the time. The whole hard sell things comes from a few unethical places, one of which happens to be the largest gym chain in Australia. Anywhere decent will give you a free week's trial.

Mine is $60 a month, no contract, cancel at any time ect, that includes full access to the pools, steam rooms, saunas and all the classes.

I got there because it's a quiet one, 75% of the people that go there only use cardio equipment which leaves the weights section dead so I can do whatever, whenever :)

Steam room adds to my already amazing beauty. It's hard to improve perfection, but I do need to maintain it (hehehe). But really like it just to relax and stretch. Also good before an event where I want to look as lean as possible.

Last edited:
Perfection? I thought you were a shortass?

What event would you be trying to look as lean as possibly for? I didn't think you competed?

If they listed their prices on their website, no one would ever join.
This is probably true.

Also, my gym requires a 12 month sign-up. You can pay monthly or all upfront, but you're stuck with 12 months. Last night my woman was saying, "they should stop signing up new people, it's crowded sometimes already."

I replied, "yeah but lots of people come a few times and then drop out, so long as they don't sign up more people than drop out, it won't get worse."

"Surely not that many people drop out?"

"I don't know - but they make us sign up for 12 months, if everyone who signed up came regularly they wouldn't need to do that, they could just charge us $3 each time we came or something."

I've always said with mobile phone plans and the like, "if they make you sign up for a year or two, they're not confident you'll want to stick with them so their service can't be that good" - but it's a bit different with gyms. That's because whether you stay or go has got less to do with the service and more to do with whether you can be arsed with it :D

So I look at the cost of the thing in those terms. If I pay $30 a month but then never go, that's a waste of money; if I pay $100 a month and turn uber-buff, well it was probably worth it!

Bree, as a former gym salesperson, perhaps you could start a thread talking about people starting and dropping out or sticking with it, we could discuss what sorts of stuff makes people stick with it? Because really that's the number one thing that gets results - actually doing something...

I've always said with mobile phone plans and the like, "if they make you sign up for a year or two, they're not confident you'll want to stick with them so their service can't be that good" - but it's a bit different with gyms. That's because whether you stay or go has got less to do with the service and more to do with whether you can be arsed with it :D

The drop out rate at gyms is probably around 90% in the first month. For gyms to make good money they need to get the yearly fees (or contracts) in advance. If they make money, they can stay afloat and continue offering a good service...(hopefully).