• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much do you pay for gym membership?

$24 per fortnight, as long as I stay joined it will never go up..Have recipricol memberships with any good life fitness centre, handy when traveling to Brisbane to see the family for a an extended period., or sent away for work training.

Hmm, trying to decide whether to join the much maligned FF. Have heard all sorts of bad things about it, and is it true they charge you for putting your membership on hold?! (it's free at every other non FF gym I've joined)

trying to decide whether I should get a Platinum membership. The deal is:
$15 joining fee (SAVING OF $135)
$70 Admin fee (one off payment)
$16.95 per week (Saves $9 a week)

I was in the process of setting up a home gym but am being swayed by how "cheap" this FF deal is, apparently it's quite good for a platinum membership. Or maybe I should just resist the advertising and keep going with my home gym setup...

I have heard bad things about FF also. The guy that used to sit in the cubicle next to mine was always complaining about them.

Yep. I've just had a sales rep confirm that the time freeze costs $20 per month!! People go on holidays you know!! And why should they pay for the gym when they're not using it?

I just know that I wouldn't want to work for FF as a PT. The deal is that you pay them $1,500 for some one week seminar on sales techniques, then you rent the right to hang around in their gym, acquiring clients and training them there. They must expect that their clients won't stay for long, or else they'd just pay PTs a salary and pocket the client's hourly payment themselves.

A lot of gyms seem to be based on the idea that their clients won't stay more than a month or so. Given how slack people are, I can understand this - but it seems a bit defeatist, like expecting people to eat at your restaurant once then never come back.

That place looks really impressive! It looks like it'd be quite expensive :)

Although, in Camperdown? Isn't that place a desolate hell hole with a small population?

i pay $10 a week for my gym membership and it is a really good gym IMO, it has everything i need

That place looks really impressive! It looks like it'd be quite expensive :)

Although, in Camperdown? Isn't that place a desolate hell hole with a small population?

Err... the University of Sydney is there (which I went to), I actually really like that suburb and a lot of my friends live there.

Unfortunately now that I'm working, Camperdown's pretty far away (it's not near a train station)...

I just googled it, population of 3,500 ppl and a gym this big, clearly the owners did their homework to make the business work, but that place looks like it's worth a fortune :)

I just googled it, population of 3,500 ppl and a gym this big, clearly the owners did their homework to make the business work, but that place looks like it's worth a fortune :)
It's Camperdown in Sydney not Camperdown in Vic.

Yep, Camperdown Sydney has about 6500 residents.
However, that gym is on a main road, Parramatta Rd, and the majority of customers would probably be attracted from all the close surrounding suburbs.
Funny thing is there is a Workout World shop directly across the road, they may take some business from the gym if people decide to set up at home instead.

Having worked in the industry, as dodgy as FF can be, the independent gyms tend to be more likely to screw you because they are desperate for your business.

Katie- which gym is the Platinum membership at? That is uber cheap if it is membership to one of the Platinum clubs. But if it is Platinum membership at a standard FF, still a good deal, but not great. Just check that it allows you membership to all their clubs. Most gyms I know charge a hold fee on their memberships, even if it is just $5. Industry standard.

Kyle, most PTs prefer to rent a space. It's about $350 a week at a top level FF, but you can charge what you want and they direct clients to you through their triple pack program. PTs employed by gyms get paid crap and don't have room to negotiate rates with clients. The good PTs- those who have good skills and enough confidence to sell themselves absolutely rack it in, even after rent. The 19 year olds who were OK at sport and crap at school- well, they kind of disappear once Christmas hits and they haven't budgeted their money well enough once everyone goes on holidays.

I agree 110%, I'd never been there until recently, went there for a week to visit a mate (who had just moved there himself) and him and I both aren't convinced lol.

Melb 1, Syd 0 :p

What Melbourne people need to get is that no one in Sydney cares about the apparent Sydney/Melbourne rivalry. Don't have time to think about it when you have beautiful weather, amazing beaches and the most amazing harbour in the world to enjoy.

Katie- which gym is the Platinum membership at? That is uber cheap if it is membership to one of the Platinum clubs. But if it is Platinum membership at a standard FF, still a good deal, but not great. Just check that it allows you membership to all their clubs. Most gyms I know charge a hold fee on their memberships, even if it is just $5. Industry standard.

It's definitely platinum australia-wide eg. George St Platinum, Bondi Junction Platinum etc. I guess i'll have to suck it up about the hold fees though. None of my prev gyms did this (they were more community friendly ones, totally different to FF)

THAT IS THE MOST AWESOME DEAL! It's pretty close to the family price. They are trying to organise a PT challenge between the George St and BJ trainers. Lat time, not one of the female trainers got involved- very disappointing. I've suggested to my trainer that we there should be a client challenge, but one client per discipline, not like the PTs do.

BJ is also about to get a lifting platform.