• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long of a session should i be having?

megaphoenix

I'm an absolute beginner in nearly every sense of the word (I have hardly any upper arm muscles at all) and i am planning to start working out with free weights soon. I know that i'm going to start with the smallest i have and keep working my way up from that to heavier free weights.

My question is, what is a good estimate of how long a weight lifting session should be? I know it may be better to focus on the amount of reps that i am doing, but i figure that they both may be a similar answer.

Do you think 20 minutes is a good starting point? or is 40 minutes more preferable? I assume anything more is too much for a beginner. I do feel that it would indeed be better to aim for the amount of reps, but i'm not sure what the average time would be (eg: 100 reps might be 10 minutes or 20 minutes, im not sure).

i have another two very quick questions:
1) aslong as i start my day with high energy foods, does it matter when i train (eg: closer to morning or last thing before night)?
2) do i need to focus a lot of protein just before or just after my workout session, or it doesn't matter aslong as i have enough protein each day?

Thanks for any advice :)

Most people aim at 45 minutes or so, plus time for warmup, cooldown and stretches - an hour in all.

It's easier to think of it in terms of the sets and the rest between them.

For example, if your goal is general fitness and strength, you're looking at 6-10 exercises with about 3 sets each, and you want to be fitter so you have only 1 minute rest between sets. Allowing 1 minute to load up the bar and actually do the set, and it's 2 minutes per set. 6-10 exercises x 3 sets x 2 minutes = 36-60 minutes.

If your goal is strength, then you're looking at 3 exercises with 4-6 sets each, and you need more rest time - say 3 minutes. Again, 1 minute to load the bar and do the set, 4 minutes per set in all. 3 exercises x 4-6 sets x 4 minutes = 48-72 minutes.

Thus, general fitness workouts will be a bit quicker, strength workouts a bit longer. An hour is traditional, most people are tired by then anyway.

Train for as long as you need to complete your program. There is no set time limit. Sometimes i train for 45 mins, sometimes 3 hours, depends what I'm doing.

If you are trying to bulk up eat 4g of protein per kg of bodyweight per day. Make sure you are taking in protein every 3 hours or sooner. Eat natural whole foods as much as you can (steak, eggs, fish, vegies, milk, cottage cheese, lamb, chicken, tuna), dont rely on supplements. Have a protein shake straight after your training.

Yeah my goal is strength (and increasing the size of my biceps, as they are depressingly small).

I'm not going to have any suppliments, my diet is going to largely consist of eggs, pasta, milk and peanuts (some other things too). All up i'm hitting 92.5g of protein and that does not include what i have for dinner. Based on research i have done, i believe that amount will help me achieve my goal.

Train till you finish your exercises, but remember that induced stress for any length of time (usually over an hour) will cause your body to secrete cortisol to manage the stres. The longer you go the more you'll produce.

Cortisol counteracts insulin which is not something you want to do if trying to build muscle. Basically this means that once your finished it will take your body longer to get the required nutrients to your muscles at the most important time.

Put simply aim for less than 1.5 hours for maximum efficiency.