• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long did it take before you could lift your own weight in a workout

at age of 19, in one year went from 60kg power clean to 100kg while bodyweight went form 70kg to 80kg.

Was just too long ago to remember, but i do remember performing numerous reps of pull ups 2nd or 3rd workout easily. When you're 57kg it is easy LOL

Last edited:
Could or did?

Squat, approx 4 months

Deadlift, I didn't even try deadlifting for 8 months (doing SLDLs), however on first attempt I did well over bodyweight

Benchpress, I have never even tried, probably still not quite there approx 2 years on :\

Squat and deadlift I could do over BW at first attempt.
Bench I couldn't, and can't remember how long it was before I got it.

Most blokes should be able to pull their body weight within a couple weeks I would think. Bench is a little more challenging! I only managed it earlier this year, about 18 months in lol...but i had 6+ months injured, and I do weigh 113kg :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Took me about 3 months to go from weighing 135kg to 95kg and benching 50kg (never benched before) to 100kg back when I was about 25. Squats I haven't done a full squat at current bodyweight (110), deadlift I could lift more than bodyweight on my first attempt. (just)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Squat - still cant do it (front squat) back i can bw before starting any weights program.
Bench - started 56 kg on my first day after 2 weeks 1 rep max i was pushing mybw
bent knee Row - started with 23 kg now i can do bw 8-10 weeks (1repmax)
Mp - still working on it 1 rep max 70 kg other day very close to bw.
Deadlift - can bw straight away + 20 kg but pulled some groin tendons or something was hurting for couple of weeks before pain go away.

pull ups started 4 now i can do 12 full range wide grips or 6-7 with 20kg plate.

I still haven't done bodyweight OHP or clean. Bench press was back when I was 20, even though I'd been gymming in varying capacities for about 4 years prior. The very first time I squatted to parallel I went beyond my bodyweight at the time...I think I weighed 62kg, and squatted 4x70kg. This was, however, after having spent about a year doing 90 degree squats, RDLs and a long time doing leg presses. At that time, I could RDL 100kg for a couple reps, so I was immediately able to deadlift more than my bodyweight, too. I've always been able to do pull ups without assistance.

it wasn't until I got down to 100-110kg that I could actually lift my body weight in the squat and deadlift still cant bench it but getting closer each.

I cant remember ever not being able to dead/squat bodyweight, I remember years ago when I first started at the gym it took me about 6 month to bench BW,
aprox 2 weeks ago I managed to snatch bodyweight landing in a full squat, I was pretty happy with that