• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How does alchohol affect your training?

craze

I did a quick search could not find anything.

I took a 1.5week break recently from training and during both weekends was drinking a little. Not much of a drinker (anymore) maybe 2-4 max when i drink.
To my suprise when i came back i felt i had lost some strength.

Sooooo i decided for the next 2 weeks to NOT drink a single drink and focus more on eating (eating well and lots of it).

To my suprise last night my DB bench felt so strong I went up 5KG a side and felt i could do more, normally do 3 sets, did 5 and kept going up! Everything to do with chest I felt very powerfull. Some of the other muscle groups were also a bit stronger.

Seeing as it was my first chest session of the week i was very suprised as normally the first one back after weekend break is not as strong.

Its funny the goals i set earlier and felt like it would be hard to achieve I am so close and writing new goals and feel confident!
Interested in your replies and if alchohol affects your training?

from my knowledge it messes your training up.

However saying that, i got a bit drunk the other night and managed to lift double my normal weight... ok so my normal is only 55 atm, and i usually do 25-30 reps and only did 3... the next few days i didnt notice a difference at all

Alcohol doesn't sit well me with and knocks me round performance and motivation wise for a few days after so I generally stay away.

its not as bad as people make out.

that said it usually ruins my training the next day becuase i cant eat properly. but after 2 days my strength is normal.

your choice. I drink at social occasions. and try to work my trainin around those days to lessen the impact.

I recently gave up drinking, partly because of training and partly because I'm a bit of a tool when I drink (not violent or emotional, just obnoxious). And to be quite honest I don't miss it (I did enjoy social drinking but if I have one or two it turns into twenty). And my test is already low so drinking would f u c k me right up in that department.

But in saying that I'm def not gonna be one of those reformed drinkers who preaches how other ppl shouldn't drink, I just think some ppl shouldn't and I'm one of those ppl.

As said above lowers testosterone levels (for about 24 hours) and increases cortisol levels which waste muscle. Still fun to let loose sometimes though..

if i have a big night, the next day ill drop SOME strength but thats mainly through a lower intensity due to feeling seedy. but one thing is certain im sure, any training on the day/night of said drinks will be a waste.

Alcohol should not affect your training because if you are ingesting it you shuld not be training.

Some one said it is a poison. I agree.

I don't even sip champagne on my birthday.

As said above lowers testosterone levels (for about 24 hours) and increases cortisol levels which waste muscle. Still fun to let loose sometimes though..
Why does letting loose need to involve alcohol?

Do you need to alter you mind to have fun?

that shit won't pass through my liver or flow through my brain.

Why does letting loose need to involve alcohol?

Do you need to alter you mind to have fun?

that shit won't pass through my liver or flow through my brain.
It's ingrained from a young age that relaxing involves alcohol, which is kinda sad.

Sunday arvo barbeques, finish the mowing or other manual labour, hard week at work. All of these things usually end with enjoying a cold one, and relaxing.

I hate sounding like a broken record, but relaxing means you are free of intoxicants*, you are not relaxing drinking that shit, you are in an altered state.

bah, i CBF debating this horrible shit anymore,
Just don't drink, it's stupid.

I hate sounding like a broken record, but relaxing means you are free of intoxicants*, you are not relaxing drinking that shit, you are in an altered state.

bah, i CBF debating this horrible shit anymore,
Just don't drink, it's stupid.
Hey I totally agree with you. I was just playing devils advocate for the guy who said "its nice to unwind sometimes."

Having recently gone off the grog (only 1 month, but hey) I can say I feel much better for it, and training is much better!! :D

Once I explained the effects of alcohol to the footballers I'm training, the majority swore off booze till seasons end.

Most were ignorant as to how bad it is, but to their credit, they listened and are reaping the rewards.

Not all, but even if one boy did it would be worth it.

Think of it this way, instead of repairing and growing, your body is trying to filter the alcohol out your system, so basically you're just wasting time that could be spent growing.