• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you bench elbows out or elbows in?

kindred

Which is considered the right way to do it?

I can lift much heavier elbows out but just cause i can lift heavier doesnt mean im doing it right if you know what i mean.

YouTube - How to Bench Press, Get a Big Chest, Add Muscle All Without Wrecking Your Shoulders

Copied from another source:

Because your shoulder joint rotates, hence why people get rotator cuff injuries, by keeping your elbows in close this allows the shoulder to rotate. the further away your elbow is away from your torso the more it begins to hinge, this will result in a shoulder injury over time. Also, the synergy of the shoulder and elbow joint are greatest when the elbow is close to the body, as the elbow travels away from the body the weaker the synergy of the this compound movement; its a simple fact that the closer your elbow gets to your head the weaker your entire arm will become.

RECAP:
1. if you flare your elbow you remove the shoulder joint out of its natural movement and make the shoulder move in a way it was not designed
2. if you flare your elbow the weaker the synergy of the compound movement because your arm will not be able to extert force through the hand as effectively
3. flaring your elbows causes your shoulder joint to hinge more than rotate which directly puts stress on the rotator cuff which could lead to injury
4. flaring your elbows puts more strain on your shoulders and triceps and isolates the pecs from the overall movement

Thanks.

Im guessing i was doing it wrong for all the time i have been doing it :( now i feel like a stooge lol

I have recently changed my form when benching to that shown in the above video, as I was benching with my elbows out.
My question is has anyone else changed and noticed that when using the 'correct' form their front delts are engaged more and tire out quicker compared with using elbows out? Is this normal?