• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How did you learn to do proper deadlifts and squats?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Did you get a personal trainer? Did you have friends to show you proper technique? or did you observe others

Internet at first. Then got a session or two with a strength coach out at PTC. My deal lift technique was ok but bench and squat sucked haha

Tim.

Watching a fair few youtube videos, read Starting Strength, but squatting always came fairly naturally to me - my main changes were bar, arm position and back angle.

Deadlift, again Starting Strength, Youtube videos (usually Rip or someone else respected) having a mate who is a PA lifter train with me one day and show me where arms and feet should go was the biggest thing.

I've been tossing up with going to a coach to get my form checked as I start lifting heavier to ensure that I dont snap anything.

If I observed others in my gym, I'd be doing a lot of half rep benching with flared elbows, half rep OHP, squatting with an angled back and high bar, and either round back or attempting to stiff leg a regular deadlift.

I had a mentor
A few books
some magazines

no internet back then thank fuck

Last edited:
Like any male with a pair of testicles and a brain I just squatted and figured it out in my own time. You make lots of mistakes in this time as coordination is bad so it's pretty easy to tell if something made the rep easier or harder

Like any male with a pair of testicles and a brain I just squatted and figured it out in my own time. You make lots of mistakes in this time as coordination is bad so it's pretty easy to tell if something made the rep easier or harder

Wow, nice answer.

Pretty much this, never had anyone show me for ages and there was no Youtube when I started squatting, never used to dead lift as I thought it was bad for your back.

Then a few years ago went a Sydney PTC to some power lifting coaching classes, and learned how to press, bench, squat and dead lift properly, my squat was pretty much the only thing I did right from the start.

Seems to be a few guys that have been corrected on form when they've dealt with a coach, which makes me wonder about everyone else that has never trained with a proper coach (myself included here). Surely there's a few of us doing a few things wrong that could be detrimental over time?

Seems to be a few guys that have been corrected on form when they've dealt with a coach, which makes me wonder about everyone else that has never trained with a proper coach (myself included here). Surely there's a few of us doing a few things wrong that could be detrimental over time?

It always helps to have someone look at your lifts. A coach really comes into place as you get better. I've never seen someone that just plain fucking sucked get coached to greatness, but I have seen them improve greatly and I've seen talented lifters get coached to fucking ridiculous levels of strength. If you can't figure out 99% of it on your own just forget it really.

When I've been coached, it's more been "try this, relax this, do this" and so on and there isn't a lot of instant feedback it will be something that I need to try out for weeks or months before I know if it works or not. Fuzzy helped me out a lot by telling me how to get into the positions I needed to be in when I squat. I knew how it was supposed to look but it was just impossible for me to do. So they are more of a consultant than an actual coach, imo

And you absolutely do not need a coach to do your programming for you unless you simply do not care

youtube

First technique session I had was after about 4 years of lifting. Sticky said I was fine technically, just weak haha.

Pretty much this, never had anyone show me for ages and there was no Youtube when I started squatting, never used to dead lift as I thought it was bad for your back.

Then a few years ago went a Sydney PTC to some power lifting coaching classes, and learned how to press, bench, squat and dead lift properly, my squat was pretty much the only thing I did right from the start.

Heh. I was at that little deadlift seminar back then. Pulled 180kg for the first time along side [MENTION=8583]nazzysmith[/MENTION]; also. Time flies.

Tim.