• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Home Gym Dud Purchases

DKD

Private Dancer
Have you bought something for your home gym that you later realised was a poor purchase decision?

Thought we might share, to help others avoid similar problems. This is obviously a subjective area though....what's crap to one guy, might be gold to another.

Easily my worst purchase was a preacher curl pad thingy that attaches to my bench. I used it once from memory, possibly twice and couldn't stand the feel of that type of curling. Ain't nothing particularly wrong with the build quality, I just hate the guts of the whole thing.

Have you bought anything that, with hindsight have realised wasn't really necessary?

Bought squat stands which l replaced with a rack about 8ish months later... Should have just bought the rack from the start... Kind of regretting buying a flat bench now as i'd like to have the decline/incline bench but that's not a major piss off.

I bought these dumbbell hooks 2 or 3 years ago now and still haven't used them - COUNTRY POWER INC.
I don't press heavy enough to need them really.
Might give them a go soon, as I'm doing a bit of dumbbell bench.
Probably good for overhead press too, as it's pretty difficult getting heavyish dumbbells in the right position.

I bought a Hyperextension branded smith machine when I didn't know any better... It stayed in the box for three or so weeks before realizing I should have bought a rack instead. I sold the smithy and bought a Powertec rack package and have never looked back.
Also, upgraded my bar not long ago with a Garage Gym G2, it lasted a week before it was bent then I forked out for a Texas. I should have learnt my lesson and just bought quality first time around.

Cue anybody who's bought a multi-gym...

Yep, that'd be me. My folks bought me a york multi home gym when I was a young'un and didn't know no better. Even then I used to think doing squats on the thing was retarded. Free weights ftw

Bought he squat stands then upgraded to a rack within months.

Last year I was given the Zumba DVD set for my birthday because I like to work out....

Years ago, my sister and I invested in the Tai Bo VHS series. We used it a couple of times then joined the gym.

Oly dumbell handles. Barely ever been used but they will probably wind up being cut up one day when I'm building some contraption.

I bought these dumbbell hooks 2 or 3 years ago now and still haven't used them - COUNTRY POWER INC.
Probably good for overhead press too, as it's pretty difficult getting heavyish dumbbells in the right position.
I wan't these!:eek:

I can't figure out what these are even for, someone help me out?

Oh just to re-rack them?

yer, might get the ol' welder out on the weekend and make me some, I aint payin' $50.

When it comes to bench with bells, I can only get into position with a weight that I can push 10 + reps, that sucks. Not only that, I almost f*ck my shoulders trying not to dump them too hard.

I've still got my first ever bench and barbells. I did buy a home gym last year for $50 and sold it two weeks ago for $200. It was a stupid buy but it worked out well in the end.