• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

High frequency training

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
Interested to hear from those of you who employ a high frequency training model e.g. each muscle group twice per week. Aside from an opinion on the efficacy of it, I'm interested in how you structure your split, what sort of % effort you think is required given the reliance on volume as opposed to intensity, set/rep scheme per muscle group and how long each workout takes you, and any other relevant information. I should mention this is in the context of bodybuilding not powerlifting but please chime in as both are relevant, but I am assuming a considerable amount of what PLers would consider 'accessory work'.

I've traditionally been an advocate of high intensity once per week split, while the research advocating higher frequency training makes sense to me, a large part of the problem with that style seems to be the time factor e.g. in order to fit twice as many sessions per muscle group into a week the volume per muscle per workout would have to drop by approximately 50%. I find it hard to accept that 50% of the stimulus twice as often is more effective, especially on larger muscle groups like back, quads etc. Those of you that do it successfully - share your plan of attack.

Last edited:
I kind of train each muscle group twice a week. I start the week off with a full body workout. One exercise per muscle group until failure. 30% of max for about 5 minutes. Takes about an hour. If you're not used to this type of training you'll be crippled with DOMS the following day, but I've been doing it long enough to feel fine the next day. This borders on a cardio workout.

Then for the rest of the week I do a typical split. 5-day split usually working each muscle group from 30 to 60 minutes.

I know this wasn't the answer you're looking for or a typical 3-day split repeated twice during the week.

I do high frequency quite often, usually in 6-8 week stints.
Usually different exercises for the workouts.

Last edited:
How long each session? 1hr is going to be too much if its high intensity, but as OP says anything less doesn't 'feel' like the job is done. Is there a happy medium.

Last edited:
I believe an hour of high intensity is sustainable but can you fit each muscle group twice weekly into 4-6 hours with enough volume to provide ample stimulus?

FYI I've just gone back from 5 days to 4 days per week as I felt I need the extra recovery time.

Last edited:
I ran a high frequency for the last few months of the year for quite fantastic results.
I incorporated a volume and a strength day for each body part. Quads/Hams were getting close to 35 sets a week. Chest was getting 30 sets. Back was getting 35 sets.
Calves around 40 sets, you get the picture. But breaking up the workouts enabled to not only be more efficient but also add even more than what I was doing.

It is however, incredibly tiring. And you'll quickly find yourself having trouble. I ran it for close to 3 months. I'm an advocate now for this training but in smaller doses.

I'll be running a 6 day, 2x per body part for 1 month on. Then change over to a 1x per body part for 1 month. And repeat that pattern.
I believe this is more sustainable in the long run.

As Steve mentions crippling DOMS early on. So you'll have to be flexible enough to adjust training of different body parts initially.

I've done it, high frequency with high volume, grow quickly but takes the absolute piss.
Get to the point where youre really tired and everything hurts.

I've done it, high frequency with high volume, grow quickly but takes the absolute piss.
Get to the point where youre really tired and everything hurts.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened when I ran PHAT and 3 on 1 off.

But for you pure Bodybuilders, particularly kunce in their 20s with a bit of experience and natty it might be the preferable routine IMO.

Yep, if I had more time and less responsibilities it's what I'd be doing, reckon it's the ticket.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened when I ran PHAT and 3 on 1 off.

3 weeks on 1 off? What did you rotate in every 4th week?

I've had a bit of a look at Layne Nortons PHAT routine previously (is PHAT his creation?) looks reasonable. Good variation etc, probably an interesting routine to do.

3 weeks on 1 off? What did you rotate in every 4th week?

I suspect you're taking the piss, but I'll answer anyway: Push, Pull, Legs, day off. Repeat.

You'd have to periodize, that's for sure IMO.