• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with planning a cutting phase

Matt

I'm try to do some research so I can plan a safe & effective cutting phase for a couple of months time. I've never really done one before, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so that I don't do myself any damage, but I'm still able to get my body fat down around the 5-7% range.
I've read a bit about IF diets and cutting out gluten etc, and I was wondering if anyone could give me details about their experiences with these?
Also, are there any "essential" supps people would recommend? I currently take (and plan to continue taking during the cut) a multi, omega 3s, and L-Carnitine. I've read good things about CLA, as well as cycling of creatine for 6ish weeks, then doing a load phase in the last 3-5 days before a deadline.
Any words of wisdom that people could impart about using these ideas, or others, in conjunction, would be great!

Why cut out gluten, are you intolerant to it? If not then my question is Why cut out gluten.

Supps wise: Fish oil, multi, creatine and beta-alanine. You do not need to cycle creatine it is a nutrient that allows you to increase creatine. If you are doing it for water load purposes don't expect that to go that well if you are already taking it.

MaxBrenner (search for his posts) would be the best help in last stages of prep for a diet down to 5-7%. So I will leave the sodium and water balance shit to him.

What % BF are you now, why are you cutting, how much time do you have, what is your current height and weight, how do you currently eat and train, and what is your favourite colour.

Hi Matt
I'm a first time poster here but will share with you a few of my experiences.
I'm currently doing the Leangains style of IF and as far as body composition goes it is working a treat. It is, for me, hands down the easiest way to maintain a caloric deficit without feeling too deprived. I would guess I'm about 12% BF and am 81kg. Have been going for over a month and losing ~0.4kg a week. Biggest tip I can impart is don't try and take it off too fast, LBM is king, preserve it.
It was a shock to the system for maybe the first 2-3 days but it is psychologically easy to maintain. I haven't tried to play any prolonged sporting bouts like a game of footy so I can't share anything there, but I do throw in 1 hr sessions of box fit style in the morning during my fast and have no probs keeping up.

Supplements I take all the time are fish oil, multi, creatine and bcaa's only when I work out during the fasting period. I take Jack3d too but mainly for fun and to get a bit of a buzz, dont really rate any pre workouts.

Thanks to Shane and Wizz for the tips :)

Dave:
i was considering cutting out gluten as part of a carb cycling diet. i probably should have been more specific with that one. it was one idea i was kicking around...
and i was looking at creatine for water loading. i figure if i stop supplementing with it for 6ish week, then it should return to "natural" levels in my body, so that when i do have a quick loading phase hopefully some stored water will be pushed into muscle tissue, instead of fat. apparently it's an old pre-comp trick.
Cheers for the heads up about MaxBrenner's posts. I'll have a dig around n see what I can find :)
i have no idea what body fat i am atm. if i were to hazzard a guess, based on looking at other people n what percentage they say they are, i would say maybe 10%, give or take a few?
I'm 185cm, 86kg. i train 4 times a week for 90min on a split predominantly around a "doggcrapp" style routine (though i've done a slightly more mild version as i haven't been training for a while), with no cardio other then a shitload of walking that i do at work. I will have around 2months to cut, and i'm doing it as a photographer friend of mine would like to do a shoot with me for shits n giggles. i said i wanted to wait til i've had time to ass some more mas, then cut down fat, because even though it's just for fun, i'm vein and still want to look my best.

and my favourite colour is baby vomit green :p

I'd not bother doing any carb cycling unless you are under 10% BF and have hit the wall. No need to micromanage things if you can avoid it.

Avoid food avoidence. Don't cut food types out for some bro-reason. If you have an intolerant to it, then that ius the only reason to not consume it.

If you want to get down to that type of bodyfat without doing 'damage' give yourself lots of time and don't be in a rush.

Yeah depends where you're cutting from. Those supps are fine to take, but obviously the majority of the fat loss will come with a meticulous diet. 5-7% is pretty damn lean. For a photo shoot, you'd even look fine at 8-9%.