• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with overhead press

Big Dave

Just wanting to get some opinions on an issue I'm having on ohp.

Currently I'm doing 3x11 ohp at 35kg. Rest is 2-2.5 minutes between sets.

The first 2 sets are always fine, no real issues with the last rep on the 2nd set requiring a little effort, yet on the third set I'm struggling by rep 4-6 with my arms feeling really sluggish.

Now I managed an easy single for 70kg in the gym the other week so based on the percentages this weight shouldn't be an issue, so why would it feel so hard on the 3rd set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think your arms are just getting fatigued, do you OHP press as the first exercise of the day or is it at the end after other exercises have been done?

Doesn't sound that off. I can OHP 75kg with a wide grip, my work sets for 10s would probably be 45kg. I can press 80-85kg with a narrower grip. Was your grip the same? It sounds slightly off but not by that much.

If you're doing chest the day before it may influence it (bench press). I wouldnt worry too much, the main thing is that it's hard, a lot of work and you get better over time. Also, stretching is important for overhead press, do a 'cat stretch' often - google it.

[MENTION=16726]Big Dave[/MENTION];

I find the press a funny animal. About a 1/3 of the way up as the bar passes your nose it should start travelling back. The aim is to let your back takeover some of the load.

You want to finish the press with your arms inline with your ears not with the bar in front of you.

Try letting your back do more of the work and let me know how you go.

Could also just be a buildup of lactic acid

I find the press a funny animal. About a 1/3 of the way up as the bar passes your nose it should start travelling back. The aim is to let your back takeover some of the load.

You want to finish the press with your arms inline with your ears not with the bar in front of you.

Thanks Brick, this is where I think I'm going wrong!

This reads about right.
Just to add, "poke the head through the hole"

Don't know about the lactic acid bit though.

Another option, is doing this before the squat, when the back is fresh.

I find that, generally, my performance on the 3rd set will drop. So often you hit 10-12 on the first set or two, but the third just tapers off. I've started taking account of it lately and I will just reduce the weight by 2.5kg per side, for example, so that the reps don't decrease too far.

some questions...

Why are you taking 2 - 2.5 minutes rest? what is the purpose of timing your rest when you are trying to get strong-er?

Why are you doing 11 reps? like why 11? is that 1 extra after 10 supposed to do something?
is it as good as 12 reps? just an odd number to choose.

3*11@45kg = total tonnage of 1485kg @ 63% intensity.

5*50kg = 250kg
5*52.5kg = 262.5kg
5*55kg = 275kg
1*57.5kg = 57.5kg
1*60 = 60kg
1*62.5kg=62.5kg
1*65kg = 65kg
1*67.5kg=67.5kg
1*70kg = 70kg

= total tonnage of 1170kg @ average intensity of closer to 90%.

Which one do you think will make you stronger? If you want more volume do a few back off sets. If your aim is to be strong, then pressing 45kg is not the way to go about it.

Why do 3 sets of eleven? Why not do 3*5 then 6 singles? You will move more weight at a higher intensity.

11 sets of 3 would be better.

Triples build strength the best.

Doing shitloads of triples is like taking dbol & eating chicken wings at the same time it's so anabolic it's practically cheating.

Thats 3 sets of 5, not 5 sets of three.

I do not know many people that can do 11 triples @ any decent percentage.