• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with new Home Gym

username0

Hi Guys im new to this place and am in the process of throwing out my old ebay benchpress and getting a propper gym for around <1000-1500.

I currently have 140kg of standard weights /barbell and dumbells
I bench 80kg and could squat the same and have only been working out for about 12 months but my bench is getting really shaky with my new weight.

So I was first looking at a half rack but reading many posts here im now considering getting a full rack and a nice sturdy adjustable bench.
I will also need a longer barbell and a few extra weight plates but Im thinking i may need an olympic bar and new weights because my standard bar is beginning to bend under 80kg of pressure.

So far I like the
MMPRWHLPS Power Rack with High Low Pulley

Should I get it with pulleys or without? Only reason I would use it for is tricep pulldowns i guess. Or would I be best off with dip handles?
I suppose if I do get the pulleys then I could keep my old weights for it as they would be almost useless otherwise.

Can you do a standing military press inside them?

Would gymdirect do a better deal than the offered packages so far the best package they have comes at 1450 + delivery which will be a bit over my budget?
Here

Are EZ bars worth getting I have only ever used a straight bar?

Last question - if i dropped an 100kg barbell inside the cage would the safety bars take any damage ?

Any other advice before I buy anything?

Cheers
Chris

IMO pulleys on racks are shit, they take away from the basic form of a rack and what its used for.
Having said that, I don't know the quality of said pulley on that rack, so can't say for certain if it's built to a high standard.
I would go dip handles as they are a superior exercise to a press down, not saying press down are no good, just that dips are better IMO. If you had to choose I would do dips.

So I was first looking at a half rack but reading many posts here im now considering getting a full rack and a nice sturdy adjustable bench.
I will also need a longer barbell and a few extra weight plates but Im thinking i may need an olympic bar and new weights because my standard bar is beginning to bend under 80kg of pressure.

So far I like the
MMPRWHLPS Power Rack with High Low Pulley

Can you do a standing military press inside them?

Would gymdirect do a better deal than the offered packages so far the best package they have comes at 1450 + delivery which will be a bit over my budget?
Here

Are EZ bars worth getting I have only ever used a straight bar?

Last question - if i dropped an 100kg barbell inside the cage would the safety bars take any damage ?

Any other advice before I buy anything?

Cheers
Chris

Standing press? depends on how tall you are. I'm 6,2 and I can get a half press out of my muscle motion rack

Better deal? I don't think they will, the package deals are already somewhat discounted from the price of purchasing everything separately. They will do 10% off individual (non package) items though, worth keeping in mind in case you want nsome strength bands or something else.

EZ bar, if you can curl fine with a straight bar i don't think there is much need.

100kg bar drop; the pins will probably take a few knocks ok but the first drop is likely to f*ck your bar. There should never be a time that you have to do an uncontrolled drop of 100kg. if you get caught in the hole whilst squatting, just sit back and let the thing land on the pins in a controlled fashion.

thanks for the advice,
Ive never used a cage before squatting so Ill be hopefully pushing my squat weight alot higher with the safety factor.

But as far as bench pressing is it ok to let your failed rep drop to the safety bars without damage?