• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with Calorie Intake for a Fat Newbie

sexy_wannabe

As a an overweight newbie I am very confused about how many calories I should be consuming to lose weight. I need to lose about 30-40kg and at this stage I am willing to do any sort of program that will help to achieve this most effectively.

I am about to start the HIIT program my husband has devised for me but I am unsure about the amount of calories I should be consuming to lose weight.

Most calorie calculators tell me I should be on around 2200 calories to maintain my current weight or around 1800 to lose weight. While 1800 seems like quite alot for me, I was thinking of starting at around 1600, yet my husband is telling me not to eat more than 1200.

I have read that if you dont consume enough calories your body fights dropping the fat and i dont want to make it any harder for myself than it has to be. Any advice?

Hmm, post your stats so we have a better idea of what to suggest, as for 1200 cals, forget that it is simply to low.
I can only tell you from personal experiance, i was consuming around 4500-5000cals a day up until i started working out. So i was a fat fuuurker yes LOL, and i cleaned my diet up and now sit at around 3000-3500cals a day and have lost alot of fat and gained some muscle as well. I too thought that i should consume hardly any cals but soon realised that its not just how much you eat but WHAT you eat as well that is important.

I am 37yrs female and weigh 99kg and my height is 160cm.

Currently I was doing Lite n Easy on the 1500 calorie plan which seemed to work well and managed to lose about 9kg doing that then after a few weeks I found I wasnt hungry for all the food I had to eat so I dropped down to the 1200 calorie plan and now my weight has just stalled and I find I get hungry some days, admittingly though I have not been doing any regular exercise to go with this eating plan.

But my husband has me starting on the HIIT program tomorrow, not sure what sort of working out it entails whether its all cardio, all weights or a mixture of both, but I know it involves training till you throw up (LOL).

So I want to make sure I am eating enough to sustain all this new activity as well as losing weight.

^ I concur. That 1200 calorie mark is far to low. Where does that leave you once you get metabolic slow down etc?

If the calorie calculators say 2200 is maintenance, start at that and adjust it as need after 2 weeks at that intake.

Ensuring you are consuming the appropriate minimum requirmeents of the essential marconutrient breakdown with in that calorie intake is important. 2g/kg of protein and 0.8g/kg fat are suggested to maintain full hormonal function etc.

Disregard the lite n easy 1200 calorie plan. You will most likely be deficient in both protein and fats by using a generic diet program like that. Also as I've mention, chances are you will be getting quite a large metabolic downgrade if you have been deficient and weight loss has stopped after dropping from the 1500 to the 1200.